Harvester Not Working Correctly

I have a very small 5 by 5 tree farm to power my Advanced Genetics Lab. The problem is that the Harvester has a Lapis Upgrade in it and is harvesting an entire forest. I have counted out blocks from the harvester to the tree furthest away i have seen it harvest and it is Over 30 blocks away! The reason i don't want it doing this is because the planter is now having other sapplings in it besides the oak and as far as i know oak trees are the only ones that can grow right next to each other like that. I'm getting tired of having to check my planter constantly. Also the pretty forest around my house is now almost gone. :( Has anyone had this problem or know of a fix? Any help or advise is appreciated.

To really make sure and see what's going on and what range your harvester has.  Make yourself a "Precision Sledgehammer", hold it in hand and it will show you the range that your harvester has.  Also, any upgrade that goes in your Harvester you should also add to the planter.  About the filter process, either "pneumatic servo" to add to the itemduct so you can whitelist the oak saplings OR just put oak saplings in all 9 squares of the filter of the planter.

Well i did make the "Precision Sledgehammer" and the harvester should be harvesting just the 5x5 area. I think it finally may be done though. The Forest is completely gone. I have no clue what was going on also the planter does have the lapis upgrade as well, and i have it filtered out all other saplings now. But that still doesnt change that i am missing a very large forest by my house now.

Edited by d3vilsangel04

If the leaves attach or the wood attaches to nearby blocks, the harvester will assume its a part of the same tree and continue chopping it down. This was done to catch logs/leaves on the edges of its range without leaving this odd looking square hole that could eventually be filled on the edges with leaves/logs.

• 2 weeks later...

If the leaves attach or the wood attaches to nearby blocks, the harvester will assume its a part of the same tree and continue chopping it down. This was done to catch logs/leaves on the edges of its range without leaving this odd looking square hole that could eventually be filled on the edges with leaves/logs.

I came across that on the server I'm a moderator on. Had a player shrieking like a banshee that he'd been griefed, because the giant redstone tree that he'd carved his base out of was gone, but everything inside was fine. Took a while of experimenting and checking around to see what happened, until we found a pile of redwood in his harvester chest.  Turned out that one of the oak saplings in his tree farm had grown into one of a mega-oak, touched his house, and the industrious little harvester tore the walls off the whole thing until it ran out of energy!

Moral of the story: Put your tree farms far away from your tree house!