New to Technic - What Now?

Gamerkd

Hello,

I've been developing a server for the past 4 years on Minecraft classic but since that is now dying I'm looking for a new place. I've heard good things about Technic but the problem is I don't even know what Technic is. I assumed it was like Steam and the client downloads the mods when you enter a server but apparently it looks like you need to know the server first, and then download their modpack, and then open that modded Minecraft, and direct connect via IP. Is this correct? Is there no server list and you have to do manual advertising?

The project Technic looks incredibly massive. Which is why I was surprised how impossible it is to find any documentation for it. I checked the wiki, various forums, even the homepage. Nothing that introduces you to Technic and how it works. And I'm not talking about how to create a mod pack (though I will want to learn that eventually as well).

I see these mod six modpacks: Tekkit, Hexxit, Voltz, etc. Are these the only ones you can use? What makes these ones so special?  Are all of these just a collection of mods in a pack? And then you can take that pack and add more mods to it to make it your own? Or would adding more mods to it make it into a new mod pack? What if the mods were only server side. Would it require a new mod pack? If I was completely oblivious to this documentation then I am sorry.

I'm not some 9 year old who doesn't know what they are doing. I'm a 25 year old Java developer who wants to get started but just needs a nudge in some direction. Once I got that I'm off on my own.

Thank you.

Edited by Gamerkd

• Discord Moderator

Technic is multiple things:

1. An organization which develops and maintains Launcher and a Platform which provides access to modpacks.
  2. A group which creates and maintains a number of modpacks which are distributed through the platform.
  3. A platform which users may use to provide access to custom modpacks they have created.

In this context, a modpack is a collection of mods, configs, supporting files, and a version of Forge. These are collected in a ZIP format archive (unless the modpack is using the Solder API, but that is outside the scope of this discussion) which the user must host somewhere (dropbox, copy.com, etc.). They then create a Technic Pack page through this website which has various settings specific to that modpack. The platform then creates a unique URL (the unique part of which is called a Slug) which other users may use to add a playable modpack their local Launcher.

In a post for another thread I spoke at length about the process of making a pack. You might find it helpful:

Edited by plowmanplow

Thanks for the response.

I'm still confused about server-side vs client-side. So with your barebones example you are building a modpack for the client side, correct? If that's true, how do you create the server-side? Don't the client-side mods need to communicate with server-side mods? These wouldn't be the same jars would they? They'd have to be different.

E: And what prevents a person from creating a modpack with a bunch of cheating mods then using that in someone else's server? Is there an authentication that verifies they are using the modpack designed for the server?

EE: What are coremods vs mods?

Edited by Gamerkd

• Discord Moderator
  • As of Forge/MC 1.6+ there is no (practical) distinction between a "core" mod and a regular mod. They both get installed in the same location. The "mods" folder.
  • For quite some time now both client and server use the same mods. The exception to this are client only mods. These are mods that only change things in the GUI, the way things get rendered on the screen, etc. Examples: Minimap Mods, Damage Indicators, NotEnoughKeys, Animated Player.
  • The client can have whatever mods you want when connecting to a server. However, only the mods that are on the server will function. Additionally, most mods allow you to change settings which the client cannot override. Examples of this would be power conversion rates, mob spawning, ore spawning, explosion strengths.
  • In addition to mods, most public servers use a server process which provides a plugin API for things like permissions, restrictions, protections, etc. The most common is Cauldron (formerly known as MCPC+). It implements the Bukkit API and can run Bukkit plugins: Bukkit

Ok think of mine craft as a screen. 

Tekkit is a plastic layer of protection against mods AKA stickers. You can stick all kinds of mods, and mod packs onto tekkit, and your regular mine craft is left alone! 

Tekkit is also a tool used for easier mod usage, no more forge instal-BS here! Just type in the URL code and VOalla! 

For your server I do not recommend any basic technic pack that comes with the launcher. Instead I suggest you get a custom mod pack, a personal set of sticker-tools forged by someone else. A lot of tekkit mods have been used SO much nowadays. 

If you want I can hook you up with a surprise pack: A pack that you have NO IDEA what mods you'll get, LIKE RUSSIAN KILLING GAME AAHHAHA!

But seriously, tekkit is just minecraft with mods and in other words:  better!  

I assume you could also have server-side only mods as well. So I could keep my code as a closed source.

Where are you supposed to get these mods? All I see are modpacks on the homepage but not the individual mods. Like if I wanted to add 'Rei’s Minimap Mod for Minecraft' to my modpack. I googled it and found a bunch of sources but no central location where others could be downloaded. And only server-sided mods can be at bukkit.org.

Also, is there a pro/con to using a specific version of Force/Minecraft? My assumption would be to use the up-to-date version free of bugs. I already imported the Forge jar into Eclipse as a Library so I think I'm good to go. As long as I use that same jar in my modpack in /bin there should be no compatibility issues.

• Discord Moderator

You are free to close-source your mod if you wish, but I wouldn't choose to go that route. A more open license is both friendlier to the community and provides a way for someone to carry on when you leave or abandon the project (which you eventually will).

All mods which alter game content must be both on the client and server.

You would just want to compile against the recommended version of Forge for the version of MC you are making the mod.

Where are you supposed to get these mods? All I see are modpacks on the homepage but not the individual mods. Like if I wanted to add 'Rei’s Minimap Mod for Minecraft' to my modpack. I googled it and found a bunch of sources but no central location where others could be downloaded. And only server-sided mods can be at bukkit.org.

Where can I find a collection of mods though?

• Discord Moderator

Google is always your friend when looking for mods. The details of how and where will be discussed below. Here are a couple (incomplete) lists maintained by the community:

Important notes about searching for and downloading mods:

You should always download mods directly from the mod author's preferred distribution channels. For every legitimate/official location a mod can be found there are a dozen other sites which have scraped that content and offer mod downloads (or worse, "installers" for the mods which are conduits for adware/malware/viruses/etc.) but are usually accompanied by incorrect mod information or are woefully outdated. I have seen sites claiming to have 1.7 2 version of mods which the author hasn't updated at all and are offering downloads which turn out to be for 1.2.5. Shady.

When searching for mods there are a few places that 99%+ of mods can be found:

• minecraftforum.net
  • curse.com
  • Github
  • Build servers (usually Jenkins)
  • The author's own website.
If you do a search and you find links to places other than the list above you are likely not getting things from the source. Any author who has the perspicacity to create and maintain a dedicated web site for their mods will also likely have a thread at minecraftforum or a distribution channel at curse. A mod can often be found with a simple Google search of "<modname> mod" or "minecraftforum <modname> mod". For example, if you wanted to find Mekanism by Aiden C. Brady the first hit on a Google search for "mekanism mod" gets you what you are looking for.

Another point is that you should know your mod authors. There are a few mods (like NEI, ChickenChunks, Waila, REIMinimap, Zan's) which are included in nearly every modpack that is made. Many authors have more than one mod they maintain so it is good to know that ChickenBones makes NEI, EnderStorage, ChickenChunks and a few other mods. This can help you refine your searches on Google: "chickenbones mods 1.6.4".

One last point to be made here. Never copy mods from another modpack unless absolutely necessary (and it seldom is). Many mods have one or more dependency mod which are required (CodeChickenCore for NEI) or have an installation process that exceeds just copying a single JAR or ZIP into your mods folder (like Tropicraft or ChocolateQuest).

Edited by plowmanplow

I'm not typically one who asks others to do things for me, but thanks for the suggestions.

Big thanks to plowmanplow for helping me get everything setup and answering all my questions. I really appreciate it and when I develop something I'll be sure to credit you for your help. :D

I'll be back if I run into any issues. lol