Is Oil not Finite..?

AprilElyse

So I am getting ready to make a quarry and I used a mining turtle to clear out the space, well I found some oil and before I start the quarry I want to pump out the oil and put it into containers. well I tried to do that and the pump does not want to pull the oil out of the little pool. It's not pumping anything , I have it powered and it should be running and pumping oil but it isn't. 

So what I am wondering are liquids no longer finite like they were in Tekkit Classic , I have figured out that water is infinite , but is Oil like that as well..? 

I do believe that Lava is Finite in this version of Tekkit as well. xD 

Because when you would pump water or oil or lava in Tekkit Classic , it would drain, is there anyway to make it like that in New Tekkit, by the way I am playing on the version for Minecraft 1.5.2/1.5.3

Oil is definitely finite, and always has been. If you bucket it out, sometimes the fluid dynamics will behave strangely and a great spill will only be held up by a single leftover (and hard to locate) oil source block. Pumping it out is recommended anyway, and you should always start from the very top of a deposit, or from the top of the fountain if it extends above the surface.

It can happen that water or other liquids get into the Pump's nozzle and block it, and the same thing can happen with pipes. If you have access to an MFR Liquid Router, it could sort the liquids for you and prevent clogging up. You just need to configure it for all liquids that may be there, usually just oil and water.

I once had a random glitch that caused BC Pumps to simply stop after one bucket. I had to reset the modpack entirely to fix that.

P.S.: There are actually two kinds of oil in the game, one from Buildcraft and one from Galacticraft. It may be that one of the types is glitchy, and that you encountered that. In which case the fix is pumping elsewhere.

Edited by Curunir

So what  I found out was the stuff that looked like oil under one of my factories was not actually oil, it was sludge , it took me a while to figure out that if you take a dip in sludge you get drunk and your screen gets all wavy. Oil however does not do that. I did find out that Oil was not as abundant as it used to be in Tekkit Classic. 

But what about water , I know that water used to be finite in the old Tekkit (Tekkit Classic) anyway to go back to this..? 

Yes, Sludge does look a lot like oil. Waila with liquids turned on could help you there, but I don't recall if that was already in Tekkit 1.1.x.

Water is technically finite, too. It only gets infinite through a little (intentional?) glitch where a single removed water source block will regenerate if it is surrounded by other water source blocks on at least two of the four possible sides (above and below don't count). If you're really quick with a bucket, you could drain a water basin before this effect kicks in. To my knowledge, it has been that way for a long time, and current Tekkit (Minecraft 1.6.4) does not do it differently than Classic (Minecraft 1.2.5).

As you have Thermal Expansion 2 at your disposal, you can simply dip an Aqueous Accumulator or two in the water to fill your pipes. Unlike a pump, it will infinitely generate water when surrounded by water source blocks. It even generates a very small amount, supposedly from air humidity, when not near water.

P.S.: You don't have to "taste" every dark pool you encounter. Just take a bucket out of it and look at the label.

Edited by Curunir