Hosting.

don't do a dedicated minceaft server host, normally low quality server for high price, go instead for VPS hosting. cheaper, more powerful, and most of the time you get root access. also, don't opt for a windows server just because you are more familiar with windows, linux has a more efficient terminal, making it easier to manage the server. and yes, this type comes without a gui.

I am planning on pay for a dedicated server and am wondering what server hosting companys do mods instead of bukkit. If you could reply to this with links to the sites. It would be greatly appreciated.

I use https://billing.hudsonvalleyhost.com/aff.php?aff=134 for mine at vertigoserver.com they have been good to us. also that is an affiliate link if you dont like that just google Hudson Valley Host they are good people.

• 3 weeks later...

don't do a dedicated minceaft server host, normally low quality server for high price, go instead for VPS hosting

Thats totally wrong. VPS are virtual instances that run on a special dedicated hardware. So sometimes you have 4 VPS on a single dedicated server. VPS will ALWAYS be slower compared to a dedicated server.

I made own experiences with VPS. Usually if you just wanna try something out or for maybe 2-3 Players they will be fine. Also they are much cheaper than dedicated ones. But if you want to run a bigger community (like for me, I run a Tekkit-Server with average 8 Players on it, on the evening often up to 16) you really need a powerfull dedicated server.

So:

VPS for just a very few players (starts from 6 € per month)

Dedicated for lots of players (often more than 60 € per month)

I dont say VPS are evil; they are great for testing things out and for flexibility. But if you want high-performance you better go for a dedicated.

Thats totally wrong. VPS are virtual instances that run on a special dedicated hardware. So sometimes you have 4 VPS on a single dedicated server. VPS will ALWAYS be slower compared to a dedicated server.

I made own experiences with VPS. Usually if you just wanna try something out or for maybe 2-3 Players they will be fine. Also they are much cheaper than dedicated ones. But if you want to run a bigger community (like for me, I run a Tekkit-Server with average 8 Players on it, on the evening often up to 16) you really need a powerfull dedicated server.

So:

VPS for just a very few players (starts from 6 € per month)

Dedicated for lots of players (often more than 60 € per month)

I dont say VPS are evil; they are great for testing things out and for flexibility. But if you want high-performance you better go for a dedicated.

I was just saying, it sounded like he wanted a smaller server, but VPS's will almost ALWAYS give you better quality for your money than a site that only hosts minecraft servers

I was just saying, it sounded like he wanted a smaller server, but VPS's will almost ALWAYS give you better quality for your money than a site that only hosts minecraft servers

This is so incredibly wrong I don't even know where to start with you.

• 2 weeks later...

A VPS will function the same as a dedicated server with the same specs. You should be shopping for specs. Ram, Connection, all of that good stuff. Try various companies out and see what works. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Familiarize yourself with linux and setting up a basic box and you'll save quite a lot of cash.

I'd personally recommend MinecraftDirect. They have awesome prices and their servers are in the form of a VPS -- so if you want to add a regular Minecraft server, or another Technic Modpack, you'd be able to.

Not to mention that their staff is amazing, and I'm sure they'd be more than 100% willing to get your server completely set up for you if you requested it.

HBanner.gif