Mod requests

MephistosChan

A couple of Architectural requests.

1) Coloured glass.

2) Any placeable block can have the full range of styles, stairs, slabs and upside down versions.

And a some machine ideas.

1) A moss generator to make mossy cobble and brick

2) A stone brick cracker.

Basically legit ways to make special blocks that either need to be spawned in or are rare so have to be transmuted too in EE.

A couple of Architectural requests.

1) Coloured glass.

2) Any placeable block can have the full range of styles, stairs, slabs and upside down versions.

And a some machine ideas.

1) A moss generator to make mossy cobble and brick

2) A stone brick cracker.

Basically legit ways to make special blocks that either need to be spawned in or are rare so have to be transmuted too in EE.

A stone brick cracker? What would it make, and from what?

Coloured glass would be pretty easy: Should just be able to extend the existing BlockGlass class, use metadata (like dyes do) to store the color, and override the appropriate texture-index-retrieving functions. Then just set the existing entry in the Block.blocksList array to null and instantiate your replacement block. No base-class changes required.

looks like these ideas could be possible then, I have a feeling that making all variations for placeable blocks might be harder than just stating it. I suppose it depends how mojang has coded it.

If shapeless recipes are easy to make, how about milk and cobble/ stone brick, in real life people paint yogurt over statues to encourage moss to grow so there is a logical basis. Even if it sounds weird.

Yeah, the "any placeable block" thing would not be trivial, and I wouldn't expect anyone to try it. The way Minecraft is coded is...hackish and archaic, to say the least, and you would have to pretty much individually override, rewrite, and substitute every single block type individually to add all those things, plus create textures for most of them (since textures are nowhere near as programmatically-applied as they should be).

As mojang have kind of added blocks in a pretty much hap hazard way then I'd guessed that each block was its own individual thing rather using different attributes. If I could remember the correct object oriented terminology I'd use it but if you don't use it you lose it.

Ok, so I took a crack at the glass this afternoon. I left the default glass in, as I needed all 16 metadata values for colors, and still wanted to keep the clear glass. It's pretty much done save for the textures (I'm not that good at that, so they'll probably be pretty basic), and this annoying issue with the names, which is why I'm posting. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

Basically, when I use the Modloader.addName( new ItemStack( myblockname, 1, metadata ), name ) a bunch of times for all the different metadata blocks, it only seems to remember the last statement, and applies it to all the metadata blocks. I've been googling and looking at the source of a few other mods, but I can't quite seem to get it to work.

Edit: Ok, nevermind, got that bit working. Only now, the metadata seems to be disappearing when I place the block. Onwards into the night...

Ok, here's the preliminary version. I'm a little ashamed of how the code looks right now, and I have a few things I might be changing, so I'll probably upload the source on Sunday after I prettify it some. Of course, you could just decompile it now if you really want to, but I'll have comments when I upload, so...

http://www.mediafire.com/?a40uyzzqmv540md This is old.

That should work. Pester me if it doesn't. 1.2.5 compatible. May compile for 1.2.3 if people want. Also, I'm not sure what the current free block id's are in technic. it's set to 200 now, as an arbitrary default. Change it in mod_Glass.cfg if that one doesn't work.

Edit: Oh, right, recipes. It's just glass + dye at the moment. That might get fancier by the weekend. Also, the blocks are available in creative, if you just want to try them out.

You sir are a god amongst men. Not only have you supplied me with coloured glass but after it didn't work first time I did a little digging and found I still had Java 1.7.3 and 1.7.4 installed, simply by deleting .4 I can now play Technic 7 dev build with out it crashing.

Like I said you are a god amongst men and thank you.

I'm glad you like it. And that it works.

Yeah, I set it to render on the alpha pass instead of the normal pass, like ice or other see-through blocks. Oddly enough, basic glass doesn't do this, probably because of the downside I ran into. Namely, you can't see other blocks that are rendered on the alpha pass if they're behind a block that's rendered in the alpha pass. That includes water, ice, basically anything that's translucent. It's sort of annoying, but it affects the vanilla blocks as well, and I'm not quite up to modifying the renderer.

Why didn't you just use the alpha channel already in the texture file? It is .png format, so it supports partial transparency. You could go into your graphics program, make one layer the little white bits at 100% opacity, then a second layer be filled with the color at partial transparency, and then export the flattened image. It's equivalent to making a layer mask but it's a lot easier, and it's all done in the normal renderer.