Economics and the likes.

Could anyone whom is in the possession of a server elaborate on what is often used for currency on Tekkit servers? I'm currently making a world that will be a server and am setting up the signs and such, and am wondering what would be a good currency. If because of the EE mod package that is part of this mod, is currency arbitrary?

Disclaimer: If this violates some sort of rule, regulation or unspoken guideline, please remove it, I wish no trouble upon the mods.

EE causes any economy based on the sale of items/blocks pretty much irrelivant as you can effectively just spawn stuff (not strictly true but essentially the issue) so the value of any item is almost wiped out. For those of us that avoid EE on my server we just trade with each other, this is only really doable as we're all friends so unlikely to be out for a profit.

You have a few options:

Disable EE completely

Restrict the crafting of certain EE items (RM/DM) and have them sold in an admin shop (while having condensers disabled as well as people would just have to buy one then clone it)

Remove condensers/collectors/gem of eternal density

There are possibly more but I've avoided EE completely so far due to how easy it makes everything so may be missing something equally as game breaking but I'm sure someone else can help you there.

The only thing we use money for on my server is Towny land purchasing, and the only way to earn money is through ecoCreature, always good to force a little mob slaying when people can make their bases mob proof via Towny.

Don't even think of having any kind of thoughtful economy if you include certain (read as, almost any) aspects of EE.

Most servers use an economy plug-in like iConomy or Bosconomy for arbitrary currency exchange but, more-often-than-not, people prefer exchanging supplies and products.

Most servers use iConomy or some other kind of plugin.

Also, no need for that disclaimer, the mods will all do what we need to to keep this place as clean and functional as it can be, regardless of disclaimers.

I know a lot of people on my server want to see industrial credit used as currency, but I've had a hard time thinking up a great way to use them and giving them any kind of real value since they are cheap.

We use iConomy 6 to set up a fiat currency and have installed the ChestShop plugin to allow players to set up shops and trade among eachother with it. Right now its a zero-sum economy with players setting their own prices for their shops and its working alright.

iConomy 6 (The latest version labeled 7.0 works fine with CB 1.1 R4 / tekkit)

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/iconomy/

ChestShop

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/chestshop/

Not sure if this is exactly what you were looking for but hope this helps!

Most servers use iConomy or some other kind of plugin.

Also, no need for that disclaimer, the mods will all do what we need to to keep this place as clean and functional as it can be, regardless of disclaimers.

Very well, I just thought of it as curtsy, that I would have no qualms with the removal of the thread rather then a very scenically placed thread lock and message from a mod. I've been to a large variety of forums, many ask interesting things, or don't ask anything at all, so I try to be as polite as possible to the forum staff.

Also, thank you for the insightful posts, I should probably explain a little bit more in detail, that there will be four particularly medium sized cities, each enough to house five people. (Four citizens and one mayor) Each "city" would have it's own theme to it, as for the first one, the one I'm building right now, I have named it Ironclang, and it is nearly completely made with iron and white lamps. And in each town, I was to have make some sort of theme to it as'well as you can imagine, Ironclang was going to be Industrialcraft^2. Another thing to note, is that I was not exactly going t use this for personal use, since I am terrible bored this summer, I took it upon myself to make an entirely functional SMP world, with pre-made interesting cities, places, roads, and the likes. Perhaps a mere question on "what is currency" is not very centered. I wonder if one could disable players from crafting a certain recipe for say, Industrial credit, along with energy collectors. And perhaps use the EE's EMC value for things to an advantage, and perhaps, have a Trade-O-Mat dispense IC for a price of one gold? I'm not sure.