Dwarf Fortress Question

Pulse95

I hated those days. May favorite DF activity is elf-antagonizing. (give the entire wilderness a nice solid hardwood floor. Gaurunteed elfsiege in one season.)

Since I try to make my dorfs surface dwellers, I usually build things out of wood, did you know how hard it is to manually make a roof for your giant stockpile? You have no idea.

Since I try to make my dorfs surface dwellers, I usually build things out of wood, did you know how hard it is to manually make a roof for your giant stockpile? You have no idea.

It's not so bad, as long as you're careful to make sure your dwarves don't make floors over the stairs.

Usually I try to make complicated lever-and-floodgate-based moats and Death Pits as well as garbage systems. Basically, I try to make sewers...which never ends well because suddenly, flooding.

I usually develop a corridor with floodgates for cielings, and grates for floors, walled with a lava pump system that can be activated remotely. Invaders get to take lava showers.

Things only start getting dorfy when i get a rogue noble running around pulling levers. I've had my share of dorfs roasted that way.

I just realized we have seemingly taken a thread that was about asking a simple Dorf Fortess question, and have turned it into Dorf Fortess General.

well, the question was answered. the thread could either float away into obscurity, or it could be used for something.

Speaking of screw pumps, I think the hardest thing I have had to do in Dwarf Fortress was set up a screw pump to purify the water coming from the river a few levels above. First try caused the pumping area to flood, and luckily I had just built a floodgate at the entrance to my mess hall otherwise it would have been flooded. To fix it, I had to dig under the current reservoir I had built to hold the unpure water and make a bigger one, just so I could drain the main one enough that I could get to my screw pump again, which meant I had to dig into a completely filled pool of water from below, and hope that my dwarf could swim his way out (he did by the way). It was actually pretty fun.

Speaking of screw pumps, I think the hardest thing I have had to do in Dwarf Fortress was set up a screw pump to purify the water coming from the river a few levels above.

The trick is to build a series of "flood rooms" that you pump into. the only way in or out of them should be via a pump. Each room should have one pump in, and one pump out. For bonus points, make them all one on top of the other, with hatches for floors. Be prepared to remotely open all the hatches when you break into the cavern level, so you can flood and kill dozens of giant cave spiders.