Need help writing the permissions.yml

I'm not sure why there isn't a section on this even anywhere else, but I need help writing my permissions file. If there's a generic one I can just edit that would be ideal. otherwise I just want to control which players can use which commands.

I meant in the forum

Probably because Tekkit has nothing to do with permissions ...

I honestly didn't know the bukkit permissions system could be used.

What did you think Derpy meant by "default permissions" ...

What did you think Derpy meant by "default permissions" ...

Probably the Permissions.yml that is generated automatically in a new tekkit server? The page you linked says you need to install the permissionsbukkit plugin, which the OP said he did not want to do. Personally I have never had luck with the"default" permissions file that is generated in the root server folder. I always install permissionsbukkit and use that config.yml which is generated in the plugins folder, like you suggested.

Probably the Permissions.yml that is generated automatically in a new tekkit server? The page you linked says you need to install the permissionsbukkit plugin, which the OP said he did not want to do. Personally I have never had luck with the"default" permissions file that is generated in the root server folder. I always install permissionsbukkit and use that config.yml which is generated in the plugins folder, like you suggested.

So my question, again, is how can I write the permission.yml MYSELF? :)

Like I said, I have never gotten that default permissions file to work. In fact I do not know what mod it is a part of or if it is possible to get it working. Permissionsbukkit is incredibly easy to set up. You just drop it in the plugins file, run the server once to generate the config and the config itself has a template that you can edit with notepad++ for easy setup. I recommend following the guide that dude linked.

Probably the Permissions.yml that is generated automatically in a new tekkit server?

That default permissions.yml file that is generated with Bukkit (and subsequently Tekkit) server is used for PermissionsBukkit. It is the only "default" permissions there is.

So my question, again, is how can I write the permission.yml MYSELF? :)

Again http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_Up_Bukkit_Permissions

Details exactly how to set up permissions for Bukkit. No way around installing a plugin for permissions, and seeing as its one of your most important plugins I would not skimp on it either. I also would not recommend PermissionsBukkit.

That default permissions.yml file that is generated with Bukkit (and subsequently Tekkit) server is used for PermissionsBukkit. It is the only "default" permissions there is.

How do you figure? The permissions.yml is generated on a clean tekkit install, however permissionsbukkit is a plugin that is not installed in tekkit. The page you linked says you need to install the plugin and the permissions are stored in the config.yml in the permissions folder, not permissions.yml in the root folder.

Edit: I just found this:

Advanced Topics

What's the purpose of permissions.yml?

Permissions.yml can be found in the root directory of your server. It can be used to specify custom parent permission nodes. For an example check out the "Frequenly Asked Questions" section of the PermissionsBukkit forum page.

So the permissions.yml is used for setting advanced permissions, but it still requires permissionsbukkit to be installed first. The confusion seems to stem from that file, it appears to give the impression that there is already a way to set permissions in tekkit when this is not true without a seperate plugin.

How do you figure? The permissions.yml is generated on a clean tekkit install

You do relize Tekkit is a modpack for BUKKIT. The permissions.yml is generated on a clean BUKKIT install for use with PermissionsBUKKIT. It took you all these posts to actually read that wiki page, if ya'll would've done that in the first place ya'll woulda already relized that.

You do relize Tekkit is a modpack for BUKKIT. The permissions.yml is generated on a clean BUKKIT install for use with PermissionsBUKKIT. It took you all these posts to actually read that wiki page, if ya'll would've done that in the first place ya'll woulda already relized that.

I did. I read this:

To use Bukkit's permission's system, you'll need to grab the latest version of PermissionsBukkit. Start up and shutdown your server to generate the necessary files. You should now have a new folder under "plugins" called "PermissionsBukkit". Inside this folder should be a single file, config.yml.

and this: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-dev-permissionsbukkit-v1-6-official-default-groups-plugin-1-1-r5.26785/

Permissionsbukkit is a seperate plugin that does NOT come with bukkit, nor tekkit. It has to be installed on top of it to function. Permissions.yml is for setting parent permissions of permissionsbukkit. As far as I can tell however, it does nothing without the plugin being installed. So please do not act like this is a simple matter of us not reading when the OP clearly asked if they could use the permissions.yml without installing any other plugins. Based on the page you linked (which I am familiar with and have used to set up permissions on my own server) and I quote: "To use Bukkit's permission's system, you'll need to grab the latest version of PermissionsBukkit" meaning you need to install the plugin.

If anyone actually has information on using the permissions.yml without installing the plugin, or just linking to the same page that does not explain how to do it, I would be interested in hearing it as well.

Permissionsbukkit is a seperate plugin that does NOT come with bukkit, nor tekkit. It has to be installed on top of it to function. Permissions.yml is for setting parent permissions of permissionsbukkit. As far as I can tell however, it does nothing without the plugin being installed. So please do not act like this is a simple matter of us not reading when the OP clearly asked if they could use the permissions.yml without installing any other plugins. Based on the page you linked (which I am familiar with and have used to set up permissions on my own server) and I quote: "To use Bukkit's permission's system, you'll need to grab the latest version of PermissionsBukkit" meaning you need to install the plugin.

If anyone actually has information on using the permissions.yml without installing the plugin, or just linking to the same page that does not explain how to do it, I would be interested in hearing it as well.

Thank you for understanding. I guess for now I'll just have to deal with default permissions, which is fine for now. No one really plays on my server that often except RL friends.