Server requirements for smooth tekkit

Would like to know how what the minimum requirements for a small (6 players max, usually less) tekkit server would be so I can look into fixing up a wreck for private server or look into pricing for suitable rented servers

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated, personal opinions such as 'nah, join my server though :D' would not.

Dwood.

Currently I'm running a self made 1.2.5 "tekkit" server with all the mods that it would normally have EE and all its griefing glory included.

Spec's:

i7 920 OCed @ 4GHz

24gb ram

SSD for running the game off

running it with a max of 9gb of ram and with 4-5 of us on it hovers at around 4-6gb of ram unless we set off tones of tnt it rarely goes any higher I do allow teleport tethers(formerly chunkloading blocks in the old version) to be placed so that's prolly why it hovers that high but even before additional pipes(mod that gives teleport tethers) was updated was still hovering around 3-4gb on average which is much higher then the vanilla bukkit server I also run.

Best advice I can give you is give it as much ram as you can and run it off a linux distro(centOC ubuntu whatever). As for renting a dedicated server Ive looked into it and the price per month for what you get is absurd. Last time I priced it out(few months back) the lowest I found among the dedicated minecraft hosts was $130p/month for something that was equivalent to what am running already. According to some of the sites I checked they recommend 512mb of ram for like 10 people and that's using at least $15 a month far as am concerned that's a joke.

That's all just been my personal experience so take it how you like.

I'm running my server with six to eight players in 1.4gb of allocated JAVA memory without any problems, on a dual-core xeon L5420.

That's with quite a few plugins installed also:

LagMeter, ProtectionStones, Namechanger, WorldEdit, WorldInventories, CommandHelper, RealMotd, CommandBook, BKCommonLib, RecipeManager, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, Modifyworld, WorldGuard, NoLaggChunks, NoLaggTNT, ChatManager, MagicSpells, Permissions, NoLagg, dynmap

20 TPS consistently, except when I'm running a backup.

Its all about how EE is used, and how u limit mobs. For 6 players, you can run Hamatchi (or what its called) with 6 payers easy). Its when ppl start to do advanced stuff there are issues.

But sinc u asked, 6 players: 4-5ish gigs of ram, dualcore 2ghz+, hardrive is based on how u do backups etc ...

You dont need much, its conflicts/errors that kills a server, usually not the specs ...

Thanks guys, will look into getting a daddycheese server account set up, hopefully wrangle some cash out some of the definite players, if it's running pretty much vanilla tekkit, no t/p pipes on and with mobs turned right down/off would 2gb be enough or should I go for 4? The upload connection claims to be 1Gbp/s

Doubt I'll allow nukes or creeper explosions.

Also @disconsented it is relevant, just not brag-worthy or benchmarkable ;L

Dwood.