Uum. What?

The_DarthMoogle

Question

So there I was trying to load up an old save recovered from my poor old broken hard drive into my shiny new one, when I failed to locate where the .techniclauncher folder was. Now here's the weird thing. I have no AppData folder. At all. Anywhere.

After searching the entire hard drive, which took about 10 minutes, absolutely bugger all was uncovered. So, any suggestions as to where on earth Technic has been installed to?

(Do not give me suggestions as to how to search my hard drive)

15 answers to this question

The source code of the launcher makes it 100% impossible to install to a folder that isn't named ".techniclauncher" somewhere on your hard drive, probably hidden by default so a normal search wouldn't find it. So, no matter if you don't want me to say it, I'm going to say it: Either it's not installed, or you need to learn how to search your hard drive.

Were you running Windows XP? If so, under it the folder was named "Application Data", and would have been in a location like "\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data". I think it didn't get shortened to AppData until Vista.

Have you actually enabled it to show hidden files? Theres a setting. Aslo I bElieve the common problems thread tells you the direct path to the folder. Please take a look at that and follow the path directly instead of searching your HD. Do both those things!

Have you actually enabled it to show hidden files? Theres a setting. Aslo I bElieve the common problems thread tells you the direct path to the folder. Please take a look at that and follow the path directly instead of searching your HD. Do both those things!

...as much I don't want to feel like an ass I need to say it again. I have already done the blindingly obvious, and then searched elsewhere for solutions and similar problems. I have still not found the AppData folder, so I'm going for the 'plonk it on a USB' option instead. This ain't a common problem, however if there was a way I could find out where the launcher was deciding to unpack itself on first launch, that would be helpful.

EDIT : That's a stoopid idea, as I would need to find and get rid of the old one -.-

...as much I don't want to feel like an ass I need to say it again. I have already done the blindingly obvious, and then searched elsewhere for solutions and similar problems. I have still not found the AppData folder, so I'm going for the 'plonk it on a USB' option instead. This ain't a common problem, however if there was a way I could find out where the launcher was deciding to unpack itself on first launch, that would be helpful.

EDIT : That's a stoopid idea, as I would need to find and get rid of the old one -.-

You never said anything about searching manually. If the launcher runs then it's on your computer, in the spot it's supposed to be. It can't just "not exist" on your computer. You are just struggling to locate it.

C:\Users\<User Name>\%AppData%\Roaming\.techniclauncher

You need to enable the showing of hidden folders for it to show up most likely.

Okay, problem solved!

I am running on a school provided laptop, that is partitioned into a 'School' network capable side, and a 'Home' side that I'm free to put minecraft and other nonsense on.

I had a look where the launcher was installing to, and it was dumping it on the 'School' side's appdata, meaning Minecraft is now available on every terminal on the school system. (I checked, login info required as usual)

...wow.

Totally gonna put Tor on there now and download billions of pr0n.

That would have been helpful information to include from the start.

Information is most definitely not supposed to cross from one side the other, they work on different OSs, and half of the school side needs to be connected to the network to operate at all. I figured that including that information was irrelevant because I'm supposed to have a totally independent system here. Also, school terminals suck at running TF2.