Adding additional mods to Tekkit

C1Paddler

This topic might've been brought up already, but as I am new to all of this, I am not sure where to find it or what to look for.

So, I am wondering if, by using the Tekkit installer, is it possible to add additional mods to the file so that they can be installed as well, as I am on a Mac and I've tried to install mods myself, which did not go done to great and Tekkit is the first installation of mods that has worked properly for me.

So If anyone out their can help me with this or redirect me to another post or even a website that would be of better use, thank.

• 2 weeks later...

For your own sake and sanity, don't try it.

It simply won't work because even though tekkit is a collection of mods, there are modifications that needed to be done for each mod in order for everything to work together (e.g. Block ID's).

Block ID conflicts will be the least of your problems if you try to put in Additional Pipes.

And besides, Additional Pipes hasn't been updated in ages.

For your own sake and sanity, don't try it.

It simply won't work because even though tekkit is a collection of mods, there are modifications that needed to be done for each mod in order for everything to work together (e.g. Block ID's).

Block ID conflicts will be the least of your problems if you try to put in Additional Pipes.

And besides, Additional Pipes hasn't been updated in ages.

Whoops?didn't read that right. I thought this thread is about additional pipes again.

Sorry 'bout that. Lack of sleep is starting to tax me.

In any case, the case for additional pipes is applicable to other mods.

If you really want to add mods to Tekkit, consider Bukkit mods. I run a few of them in our server along with Tekkit.

If you want to install additional mods, you will have to do a bit of work. For simple mods it's going to be at the very least verifying that it has a bukkit port and placing both the client and server zips in the correct mod folder.

Bukkkit PLUGINS are something else entirely, they change the rules of how the server works. Generally this changes base mechanics of how blocks and other existing entities work, but it can't add anything new. Ex: You can make a portcullis using a bukkit plugin, but it's nothing more than the server moving fence blocks when you apply redstone power. See my post on http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php?topic=223.0 for some good examples of what other people are using.

@dragonlord - Additional Pipes HAS been updated for 1.0 and 1.1, it's just someone else is maintaining it in a new thread (here, btw).

---

95% of the time any additional Bukkit plugins you want to use will probably work without any problems, though it's always good to make backups before changing things like that. You will just have to install them manually like normal.

For client mods, you really won't be able to do much; the Technic team usually adds pretty much all of the Bukkit-ported mods to Tekkit (more or less), anyway.