Laggy items

I built a tree house and had all sorts in there, (the server is local to me) but when others come close to it, they lag out.

I replaced all the white lamps with glowstone, cut down the redstone timers, replaced long pneumatic runs with enderchests and all sorts, but they still lag out on a 0.3Mbs residential ADSL line ... when they start their own areas, they seem fine ... so there must be something I've done in my area which is causing so much lag that they time out.

Can anyone point me to the worst offenders for lag causers please?

People aren't lagging in their own areas, it's when they come in to my island that they've got problems. If I can identify the worse lagging offenders then maybe I stand a chance of re-designing to cut some of the lag - I've already done what I can.

OK - getting to the bottom of it. It seems the world anchors are causing my client to lag. After moving all the major machinery out of an area, it was still lagging. The base is reasonably large with about six anchors; removing five of them sped the client up a great deal, it is even showing the contents of the crystal chests with no issues.

Anyone have any ideas why this should be please?

Why so many anchors, you know they load 9 chunks around them don't you? and on your connection the lag is caused by the loading of chunks mostly. To Reduce it the bandwidth needed to host run Install the Nolagg Plugin and make sure you read that over carefully, also if you have not already set your view distance in server.properties to below 7 or lower do not use 10 or higher as this will cause more chunks to load for everyone at any given time and this means each player requires more bandwidth the lower you make the view the less overall chunks will load around each player.

Nolagg will also dynamically do this will learn to throttle the chunk loading for each player based on his or her OWN connection to you so those with better internet will get more chunks loaded and those who are lagging or have a bad ping to you will get less. Combine both of these logical ideas and you can reduce the chunk bandwidth requirement by up to 45% or more in some case's.

It may not make your server lagless because it is under 1mbs min upload speed but it will help a whole lot to make it playable for at least 8 players.

Many thanks, I'll try those suggestions.

It is a large area with a load of spread out electrics and storage chests. The world was made before Tekkit 3 but since I've started learning about more of the features, I've been able to cut loads of pipes between sections and have made things more efficient.

My next plan is to make a new area and the electronics/processing will be undertaken in a 3x3 chunk area, underground and far out to sea, accessed by rail. A single anchor will take care of that area and wireless redstone combined with ender chests should take care of the rest; while the "homestead" shouldn't need any anchors, I hope, so many people should be able to use it simultaniously.