Host

Guest Ysharma

Guest Ysharma

I am planning on building a PC over this summer. I was wondering if it is sufficient enough to host a decent tekkit server for 20-30 people and what its limit might be? Im planning on installing 24 GB RAM and connecting to the internet via a CAT 5 ethernet cable directly to the modem.

24Gb or RAM is probably complete overkill for a Tekkit server meant for 20-30 people. However, you internet connection and bandwidth will determine more than the use of CAT 5e cable (although if your router and ISP allow enough bandwidth, good cabling is important).

As long as its a dedicated server and you won't be playing the game on the same rig you're hosting on, like Yuriy said 24GB would be way more than enough. Since RAM is one of the cheapest/easiest upgrades, start out with something modest (4/8GB?) and if you find you need more, add to it. If not, leave it where it is. I've got 8GB and run the server on a desktop with a USB wi-fi adapter on the top floor with the wireless router in the basement, and I haven't noticed any huge lag issues, although I've never had more than a dozen people on at one time. So plugging directly into the modem (or even router) would be fine.

You would need the bandwidth to support minecraft though, figure around 100- 200 kB/s per person.

You would be looking at 15mb/s - 20mb/s Upload just to be safe.

Also how the clock speed of the processor. Keep in mind the main thread of minecraft that monjang made is only 1 thread and can only use 1 core not multiple.

...... Keep in mind the main thread of minecraft that monjang made is only 1 thread and can only use 1 core not multiple.

You are right for the server-side, but at client-side you have a special version of Optifine for multicores. Try to do this with a fair amount of Nukes in ssp and normally, your client will be unusable after that and crash:

a1f8982f.jpg

I'm using the special multicore version and I can ensure you I was able to play further after this if I wanted to. Hopefully the servers will also become multicore some day. :)

Im running 24 GB because the server will not be the only thing I will use the computer for.

That's fine but what you use it for beside the server can and probably will effect your server. If you're using other applications that just keep a lot loaded in RAM or you're using a RAM-disk, that's fine. If, however, you're using applications which are processor heavy and aren't allocated their own dedicated processor threads, you will likely see lag on the server when that processor time is eaten up. Also, without you specifying how you intend to run it (virtualization, other processes, and such), the advice you get here may be limited to reasonable guesses.

Also, Gassy, where've you been man? I hit you up on Steam before and haven't heard from you since.

That's fine but what you use it for beside the server can and probably will effect your server. If you're using other applications that just keep a lot loaded in RAM or you're using a RAM-disk, that's fine. If, however, you're using applications which are processor heavy and aren't allocated their own dedicated processor threads, you will likely see lag on the server when that processor time is eaten up. Also, without you specifying how you intend to run it (virtualization, other processes, and such), the advice you get here may be limited to reasonable guesses.

Also, Gassy, where've you been man? I hit you up on Steam before and haven't heard from you since.

Sorry, I didn't see... Steam has been off so the server can have more RAM... Check your PMs. :(

Sorry, I didn't see... Steam has been off so the server can have more RAM... Check your PMs. :(

Alright, shoot me one. Steam just says you're on some mobile device all the time. Did you get the server up and running again? If so, I'll just swing by sometime.