Trying a custom modpack (1.7.10), asking for assistance

Roversword

Hello all

Using some information on the internet (websites and youtube) I tried to give it a go with a custom modpack based on Minecraft 1.7.10. I did some modpacks based on 1.6.4 and "cheating" by learning a lot from Tekkit.

The modpack is hidden, because I am actually using it for myself and only a few close friends. I am not doing this for the public, rather for me (and to have some fun with a few selected friends). Especially considering that a few mods would need special permission for public stuff. This is also why it is named test-pack and will be taken offline as soon as I have a few insights :)

However, I have the feeling things in the modpack are not as smooth as they could be and therefore I'd like to ask if someone is willing to invest some of his/her precious time to point out some possible optimisations and changes I could make.

The mods (at least most of them) should be either on the newest version for 1.7.10 or at least rather new.

The modpack in question (client) is here:

http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/rovers-test-mod-pack

direct download is: http://www.roversword.ch/modpacks/v1.99_roverspack.zip

The server can be downloaded here:

http://www.roversword.ch/modpacks/Rovers_Modpack_Server_1.99.zip

Basically the server as well as the client start "successfully" (so no hard errors in my tests).

I did not check the server too much yet, but the client throws a few warnings and errors which I cannot shake off or find a solution to.

An example of the lastest output would be here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/9369388/

As you can see there are some Thaumcraft API error messages (even though I am under the impression I disabled Thaumcraft everywhere I could find it), there are some missing texture files (which is omnious to me). I am sure I am missing a lot which you might find. Additionally I have the feeling the modpack itself is rather slow (compared to 1.6.4), however, that might be just the very nature of it being 1.7.10.

I was also experimenting with texture/ressource packs (Sphax), however, I guess I have to fix other things first before I start going into that.

Thanks a lot for your assistance and help. Much appreciated!

I figure I was too general with my request. My apologies.

I am unable to figure out the following issues and asking for help (hoping I am in the correct forum):

• In the log there are issues with Thaumcraft API. I do not have Thaumcraft, so I guess there is a mod still searching for it. However, I am unable to find which mod.
  • There are tons of textures which are not found and I have no idea to make sure those error messages can be taken care of.
  • The pack loads rather slowly (compared to Ultra Modded Modpack). As I do not have that many modpacks (but a subset) I have no idea where to start to find out what might go wrong
  • After making a world and entering it, the screen freezes for about 10 seconds. There is nothing I can do. Then the modpack starts again. So far in the logs I cannot see anything about this.

Thank you very much for your help

• Discord Moderator

All of the bulleted items listed in your second post are inconsequential:

• An error or warning about Thaumcraft API not being there if you don't have Thaumcraft (or any mods which depend on TC) is just a notice and can be ignored.
  • This is the fault of the mod author. Nothing you can really do.
  • Way too many variables to know for sure, but seems odd if you are indeed using ONLY a subset of the mods in UM. However, start times vary for lots of reasons. Probably not a big deal.
  • Likely related to bullet #3. Your system may be running low on resources or something may be odd with the exact combination of mods which is causing things to be slow during world gen. Try upping your RAM to half of your available system RAM, but not more than 4G, whichever is smaller.

All of the bulleted items listed in your second post are inconsequential:

• An error or warning about Thaumcraft API not being there if you don't have Thaumcraft (or any mods which depend on TC) is just a notice and can be ignored.
  • This is the fault of the mod author. Nothing you can really do.
  • Way too many variables to know for sure, but seems odd if you are indeed using ONLY a subset of the mods in UM. However, start times vary for lots of reasons. Probably not a big deal.
  • Likely related to bullet #3. Your system may be running low on resources or something may be odd with the exact combination of mods which is causing things to be slow during world gen. Try upping your RAM to half of your available system RAM, but not more than 4G, whichever is smaller.

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

I am working with a rather new computer using SSD disks, 16 Gbyte of RAM an a newer i7-Model (4.0 GHz standard clock). I gave Technic 8 GByte of RAM (and then 10 GByte), however, it did not change point 2 and 3.

I will certainly try and give it less RAM (4 GB as you mentioned) and try again. You might be right that GC or other java internal process might be a little unhappy about the (bigger) amount of RAM. Running out of resources, however, I think is rather unlikely with my specs.

I am not saying this to brag, but to point out why those two issues kind of nagging on me. If it behaves this way on my system, the chances it behaves even worse on lower spec computers might be even worse (I'd say that I expect this behaviour at the moment with lower spec computers and would not be surprised).

With that being said, I will go on and update the mods regularly, hoping some of the errors/warnings may vanish "naturally".

Again, thanks for your time.

Edit: a very, very naughty typo which plowmanplow pointed out

Edited by Roversword

• Discord Moderator

(4.0 GHz standard cock).

:kiddo:

I'll try to set aside some more time for an in-depth analysis this evening (of the pack, not ^, hehe).

A small recommendation: Your pack seems to be downloading very slowly (less than 200K/s). There are multiple free alternatives which might be faster. Obviously if you don't have many folks using it, or don't update it often it is of less concern. Just a thought.

Edited by plowmanplow

• Discord Moderator

Okay, had a few minutes and did some testing:

• You should remove the CoFH-Lib jar. It is only for use by mod developers.
  • Journeymap is known to add lag/load to clients, sometimes a significant amount. Liteloader with Voxelmap is a viable alternative.
  • The client starts up fairly quickly for me. Noticeably quicker than one of my 1.7.10 modpacks ( http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/dats-circlecraft-pack.387728 )
  • I set up a server on a spare VM (decent CPU, SSD, etc.) with only 3G RAM total and 2G allocated to the server process. Normal worldgen eats into the TPS a bit and was able to get it down to 15tps flying as fast as possible in creative. However, the client still felt responsive and there was no apparent block break lag. Teleporting to a new area, requiring worldgen, caused the TPS to drop and the server to complain about not keeping up. TPS came right back after a few seconds. Teleporting to a location where worldgen was already done, but the chunks were unloaded, was instant and produced no lag.
  • I switched the server from Forge #1240 to Cauldron #213 (which is also Forge #1240) and the worldgen TPS drop was much less noticeable. Server ran much better in general.
  • Other than the warnings in the logs during startup I haven't seen anything unexpected in the logs or console during operation.
  • After a bit more playing around, it seems that there is a large amount of worldgen going on, expecially with different ores and different mod versions of the same ore. You might benefit from disabling oregen in mods and using ThermalFoundation to manage your ore-gen. This would likely be non-trivial.

These observations are largely anecdotal and may not be of much use.

If you want to connecting to the server I set up for testing it's still up: vanilla.wegoboom.biz:25570

You should come in as the rank "Players" which has teleport privileges, both /tp and /tppos.

Edited by plowmanplow

First of all, thank you very, very much for your time.

You may call it anecdotal, I call it very educational! So, again, thank you!

Well, also thanks for pointing out that rather unlucky typo :)

Fixed it.

Thanks also for sharing your experience with the website and download speed. I am actually quite surprised. It worked fine for me so far (not exactly world class, but surely more than your speed), but I will certainly look into it and then check out other possibilities for hosting.

I found out about CoFH-Lib earlier this day from another post of yours. I will certainly take this one out of my modpack. It is not really needed by my friends or me.

I tried liteload and voxelmap, but could not really make it work. Guess I made mistakes. Will certainly try it again. Thanks for the suggestion. Will ditch Journeymap.

Thanks for the server, however, it says I am not whitelisted. So I could not really check it out (Roversword is my minecraft name as well).

The oregen is certainly something that needs config tweaking. You are, of course, absolutely right that there are too many mods doing the oregen and this should be optimised. As you pointed out, it will not really trivial to figure that one out. But as I have now a starting point to specifically address issues I will give it a go and tinker around.

Two question remain and I hope I may bother you with it:

1. It appears that cauldron downloads have been removed. I guess you had the #213 from an earlier download before the takedown or can you somehow point me to an official place to download it?
  2. Cauldron replaces forge and therefore the modpack.jar (name stays the same, only forge will be replaced by cauldron) on both client and server, is that correct?

Thanks!

• Discord Moderator

My bad. I turned the whitelist off and opped you on the server. I also bumped you up to administrator. I left a few notes for you in the MOTD (type /motd after logging in).

1. There is no official or legal place to download Cauldron. The whole DMCA nonsense means it's not readily available.
  2. Cauldron is just server-side. Nothing changes in the client. The only change required is that fastcraft has to be removed on the server since Cauldron includes that functionality and they conflict.

My bad. I turned the whitelist off and opped you on the server. I also bumped you up to administrator. I left a few notes for you in the MOTD (type /motd after logging in).

1. There is no official or legal place to download Cauldron. The whole DMCA nonsense means it's not readily available.
  2. Cauldron is just server-side. Nothing changes in the client. The only change required is that fastcraft has to be removed on the server since Cauldron includes that functionality and they conflict.

Again, thanks a lot.

I could login now! Very happy about the motd and will try some out!

I made some tests on your server, thanks again. I guess I am good for now.

The change from Journeymap to voxelmap actually did quite a trick. Started several times and the lags/freezez at the start are gone.

The oregen is actually tricky, but I think I managed to make a good start focusing on Thermal Fundation and using the other mods only for their very specific ores. Seems to work so far and might have helped to reduce the lag as well.

Again, thanks a lot!!!