1.8.1 optifine trouble

Famout

I have a brief question, and hope it has just as brief of an answer.

I have a mod pack made for use in vanilla servers (focus being of course on the one I play on) and recently the server upgraded to 1.8.1.

My problem is that the vanilla optifine installer seems made to just purely inject itself into a install, and unlike 1.7 there is not a forge method of installing it (I am also aware forge is not yet (openly) ready for 1.8.1 yet as well.)

So how do I take the unzipped "OptiFine_1.8.1_HD_U_B5.jar" and place it within the drop box folder to have it work for everyone who uses my modpack?

The default methods I have used before do not seem to be working now (place it into modpack.jar, place it into mods, do both of those last things together) and rather then trial and error I would rather ask for help from those who know both the laucher and minecraft better then me.

Thanks in advance.

I am a touch confused why though, doesn't stuff in "modpack.jar" get injected right into minecraft.jar? Or no longer? Or is it just Optifine being a headache?

I am willing to accept that it is not easy to do at all, or even impossible in many ways without using the minecraft.jar (and thus causing trouble.) Just would like to know more about why if at all possible.

• Discord Moderator

The technical challenge here is that the OptiFine 1.8.1 JAR is an installer which makes modifications to one or more files in the minecraft installation directory. Which files, and what modifications are unknown. Even if it only modifies the minecraft.jar file, you would need to do a regression comparison between a stock minecraft.jar and the modified version in order to know what was different, and even then there is no guarantee that the changes can be extracted out (I suspect they cannot be) and used in something like a modpack.jar file for use in the Technic Launcher. The OptiFine author does not approve of his mod being distributed by others (modpacks and such) so getting feedback from him on how to do this is unlikely.

What exactly do you plan on putting in this 1.8.1 "modpack"? Since Forge is only 1.8, what mods (other than OptiFine) are you adding? Optifine for 1.8 works fine with Forge 1.8, at least when it's just Forge and Optifine (don't know about compatibility with other mods).

Edited by plowmanplow

It is a "vanilla" mod pack, things like enemy health, minimap, optifine, NEI and so on for playing on vanilla servers...... with the wonderful drawback of trying to stay cutting edge for when the servers update of course.

As for the reason why optifine wont work, that makes perfect sense now. I had been hoping it was a simple matter of a few files added here and there, I was not aware it was altering things on such a deep level, or the trouble deconstructing it would cause. I suppose here is to hoping that forge 1.8.1 is not long off! I know the guys are plenty busy on it.