Adding Mystcraft?

Bagon

I think a nice mod for tekkit would be mystcraft, it would help servers for keeping the overworld nice and clean looking, and it would help anti-griefing. Why? For someone to grief you theyd have to hunt down the descriptive book then find your house.

• 1 month later...

Problem with Mystcraft is that its made for SSP, like buildcraft was made, on your own computer in SSP mode once a mystcraft age is loaded the other age you were or the main overworld is unloaded since its not needed cause you're not there anymore, but on a server with more players, the overworld will be kept loaded in memory along with each mystcraft age with a player in them. Unless the author of Mystcraft find a way to avoid taking memory for each world (or age) loaded, this will cause lag on lets say 90% of current tekkit servers most of them don't have more than 8gb of ram.

I'M not exactly sure how it could unload a spawn area because if someone want to connect and the spawn isn't loaded, they will fall through void here, but maybe I'm wrong with that, I'm not a pro about bukkit servers (tekkit is bukkit with the most awesome mods of all) I know a lot and try to share my knowledge but I learn a lot also from reading the forums here.

Well, from my understanding, if a player tries to spawn in an unloaded chunk (like reconnecting after a while or teleporting), instead of dropping the player to their death, the server attempts to "hold" them at the same position they were at when they joined until the chunk loads. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work, and sometimes they plummet into the void anyway.

True enough, but what if there are 10 players online and all 10 are in different worlds? Even without the individual spawns loaded, you'd still have however many worlds loaded because the players would be in them.

Exactly, that would be equivalent of loading 10 world for 10 people, there's not any server that would be able to keep up under 1000$ by month for this. Great mod, great porting idea, but unless Mojang find a way to decrease the memory used by each chunk loaded, this would never work on a SMP server sadly.