Nuclear Reactor ComputerCraft setup

Im an intermediate programmer with ComputerCraft am looking for a script on HOW to make a nuclear reactor safe via using computercraft. These are the things i want in it: Heat Values, Cycle Timer, and automatic shutdown. I just NEED these, but i'f like to have everything so it's SUPER safe. Can anyone gimme a script for it? Or atleast a link to one? Its on an SMP server. I don't know if this effects anything, so decided to mention it. Thanks for anyone who can help!

Also, i need help on how to copy a full script and paste them into ComputerCraft.

I do this with 6 lines of code, rofl.

1) Put computer next to reactor

2) Put a thermometer set to about half the maximum safe temperature next to the reactor and hook it up to the computer via a red alloy wire

3) Have the computer check the thermometer every second or so. If it's hot, shut down reactor by emitting redstone signal

This would work with a Mark I or Mark II reactor. If it gets too hot, you may not be able to stop it like that. Personally I have a breeder attached to a large supply of ice blocks. Same steps as above, but instead of shutting down the reactor, it injects an ice block to cool it down.

I stopped using CC for this purpose myself. I now just use the thermal monitor (nuclear control addon, part of tekkit), and hook it back to the reactor with a (redpower) jacketed wire. I usually also connect this wire to the mfsu I usually have next to it, so it stops when the generated power would be wasted.

Alternatively, you'd have to get the ccSensors addon, installing it on the server as well as every client that connects (it wouldn't be a tekkit server anymore) to actually use the CC computer in a useful fashion here. (This would be an option if ccSensors was added to tekkit.)

Here are some of your problems:

- There is no way to determine the temperature of the reactor using CC, outside of getting "over/under threshold" redstone signals from thermal monitors. In which case there's no good reason not to use their output directly into the reactor instead of going through CC.

- When the chunk unloads, the computer is shut down. This means all state is lost, including counted temperature of the reactor. Unless you flush it to disk every tick, which is probably going to tick off the server admin. (Counted, as in how many ticks it's been active * excess heat generation from the calculator)

- (Given counted temperature) CC only works with real time. The "conversion rate" to minecraft time is 20 ticks per second - when the server isn't overloaded. If it ran at 20 when you were generating, and 10 when you were cooling off, you're screwed.

I gave up on it. The nuclear control addon is better anyway, and if you can afford the reactor you can probably afford the thermal monitor.

I like CC, but as these guys have said, there's not much in the way of functionality when it comes to reactors. You COULD have it linked up to a tonne of remote readers to get a close reading, then set it up on a monitor. It'd look good, but not be much use. When it comes to securing you reactors, nuclear control is the best. Probably because that's all it does.

I found a way to do kinda what i wanted to. I hooked up a series of thermal monitors to lights. When the temp hits 10000, i set it so that a pulse goes to a computer saying that it is over heating, shutting the reactor down till the reactor cools down (which is about 8 minutes) then it can resume =3

Using a plain thermal monitor, one can easily have it "hover" at a specific temperature, meaning it runs a tick or two when it drops below the target temperature. Just wire the thing back onto the reactor.

Doing the 8 min cooldown wait is a bit harder - CC is definitely the cheapest way to do it.

Ice can make all this pointless. I usually make an Ice machine with EE, then just pump it in with Redpower filters every second. I fill up the reactor with everything but the bottom row with Uranium, and just keep pumping Ice. No more confusing components, no more meltdowns. Not too expensive either, by EE standards.

• 2 weeks later...

Ice can make all this pointless. I usually make an Ice machine with EE, then just pump it in with Redpower filters every second. I fill up the reactor with everything but the bottom row with Uranium, and just keep pumping Ice. No more confusing components, no more meltdowns. Not too expensive either, by EE standards.

wow that actually works?

You could eke a little more power out of it by replacing one of those stacks on the bottom row with a cell. Actually, I'd space them out in the corners for maximum output, personally.

wow that actually works?

Yes, yes it does. Just make sure you're feeding it enough ice, or very bad things will happen to your base/reactor building and the surrounding area. High-cell-count reactors tend to go boom rather quickly and rather violently.

I can confirm theprolo and Torezu's ideas..

I long have had the same idea of using cc to manage the reactor.. But good old wiring and brains got mine safe - really safe. My 6 core reactor uses 3 ice rows and 3 uranium rows. It never hits a temprature above 1500. Also thermal monitors are setup on each reactor. If they go over the 1500 heat threshold, it will shut down all the reactors untill I reset the system manually. Also each reactor can be turned on individually. Another safty measure is that if the MFSU's are full, the system only stop temporarly, it produces power again as soon as the MFSU are emptying again.

Alot of wiring, but it pays off in the end.

If you're willing to use EE, the MFFS mod can just wipe itself with all this.

Behold ; the forcefield protected reactor.

pbTrd.jpg

On the right corner, a basic EE EMC producing flower, set to making thousands upon thousands of ice. One of those can feed dozens of reactors, I'm sure. On the left corner, M. Nuclear Reactor. Filled with 54 uranium cells, cooled by the two cooling devices that are being fed ice. Only one won't do it, M. Nuclear is just too intense.

6QqWH.png

Yeah, intense he certainly is. With his ridiculously enormous output of around 4000EU/t, it obviously needs to pass through a HV transformer before going into the MFSU's.

nIehd.png

All this depends on this little guy. he's the forcefield's projector, and also the one who provide this water. You can also see the thermal monitor that is set to make a total shutdown of the reactor if the temperature get's dangerously hig, which will never happen thanks to the cooling devices, but hey, we're never too cautious with M. Nuclear.

I think that's about as good as it gets in nuclear engineering.

I think your meter is broken. 4000 EU/t is impossible.

Yeah, that's what I think too. But, I don't really see how my EU-reader could be "broken". :P Do you have an explanation?

And anyway, the actual output is along the lines of 2400 EU/t.

• 1 month later...

I think you are all looking for this:

Description:

This setup will allow you to, with only ONE minimalist control room, have as many reactors as needed, running SAFELY and FOREVER and WITHOUT manual interaction, with an uptime > 99%. Tested in SPP and SMP, on a 20 slots server. No noticeable increase in lag by observing FPS change.

-Function: continuous maintenance of IC2 reactors by:

• Retrieval of Near Depleted AND Re-enriched Cells
  • Refilling of Uranium Cells
  • Cooling with Ice

Click the link for more (direct to computercraft forums, no adfly):

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/4544-auto-reactor-uranium-refilling-ice-cooling/page__p__35330#entry35330