Question to Solder-Modpack-Authors

Roversword

Dear modpack authors

If you use solder for your modpacks, I kindly ask you to share your wisdom upon newcomers such as me.
What is the "best" way to make modpacks with solders...what are the "things to do" and the "things definitely not to do"?

What I have heard is, that delivering the config files to the client should not be done via the mods itself (each config goes with its mod), but with a separate download. Is that correct (I start to believe it is :))?

Thanks a lot, every comment is appreciated.

Edited by Roversword

• Discord Moderator
  • You are correct concerning the config files. One commonly has multiple packs served through Solder and it is not uncommon to provide the same mod for multiple packs. If the config files are packaged with the mods it is difficult to have different configs for different packs which is commonly required.
  • Put the MC version in the mod version number in Solder. For example, InventoryTweaks has a file version number of 1.59-156 as the latest 1.7.10 but 1.59-176 as the latest MC 1.8 version. Without the 1.7.10 or 1.8 in the version number it can get confusing when managing packs.
  • Don't "bundle" mods unless there is a compelling reason to do so. For instance, Galacticraft will almost always be provided with all three mod files so bundling that might be fine. However, you might want to remove one or more of the Mekanism or ProjectRed mod files for particular packs.