Must Have Forge Build #136+ (4096 fix) to connect to this server

BaconPro

Question

Title: Must Have Forge Build #136+ (4096 fix) to connect to this server

Version: 3.0.3/3.0.4

Java Version: 1.7

Description of Problem:

I try to connect to my server and it gives this error :[ please help?

Error Messages:

Must Have Forge Build #136+ (4096 fix) to connect to this server

Error Log:

NONE

The more of these threads I see, the more I want to just start deleting them. Learn...to...use...search...bar.

No. It is not right. When people go to download something like this Mod Pack, which looks pretty proffesional, and they download the latest version of server and the latest version of the client, they should be able to just start up both and have it run flawlessly. There should be no catches where you have to go into some manual setting and change it. I run the launcher and say I want to run Tekkit, so it should work with the latest Tekkit server version. To be honest, I probably could have figured out what was wrong faster than it took me to find this thread, which was pretty fast. But there should be no set up other than downloading and extracting the latest files, and running them. I am no idiot when it comes to running servers, I have ran quite a few, bukkit and vanilla alike, off my own home computer and off of a VPS.

This is a 3-5 day transition period wherein the newest server version is available as a dev build. If a server owner can't be bothered to inform the clients about the manual update, but wants to update the server, and the clients can't be bothered to figure out what's going on for a few days, somebody's either not paying attention, or stupid.

Get off your high horse.

No. It is not right. When people go to download something like this Mod Pack, which looks pretty proffesional, and they download the latest version of server and the latest version of the client, they should be able to just start up both and have it run flawlessly. There should be no catches where you have to go into some manual setting and change it. I run the launcher and say I want to run Tekkit, so it should work with the latest Tekkit server version. To be honest, I probably could have figured out what was wrong faster than it took me to find this thread, which was pretty fast. But there should be no set up other than downloading and extracting the latest files, and running them. I am no idiot when it comes to running servers, I have ran quite a few, bukkit and vanilla alike, off my own home computer and off of a VPS.

Yeah but what he is saying is how this person managed to start a whole thread on here without thinking to use the search bar once, and when you run it it will work with the recomended server build, the stable one that most players choose to use just not the dev one that contains more bugs and glitches.

if your gunna get all pissy please do it else where.

• Forum Administrators

Let's do it Gr3n's way. Here, this is how it would go down:

We push the Tekkit client update and whoops! Now everyone can no longer play Tekkit because all the servers are now out of date. Boy, sure is a shame huh. If only we would give a week or so for server operators to get their servers up to date, THEN flip the switch. Wait that's exactly what we do!

The part you are forgetting about is the entire Tekkit community and the servers they run. We aren't about to disrupt everything that's already been established because you feel that it should be easier for new people to just slam their fists on their keyboard and be on their way.

Perhaps not just MY users are dumb?

I'm not sure what you're implying, but I'd guess most sites/servers/hosts/forums/etc./etc./etc. have at least some dumb users. We've proven that here on a fairly regular basis.

any need for these posts?

There may or may not be a need, but Mr. Gokou probably should have noticed that he wasn't asking a question.

Of course tekkit could release the new versions of the server and the client at the same time. Then this kind of thing would be avoided. I advertise and recruit heavily to get people to my server, and all people do when they see the thread is go I wonder if theres whitelist, and WHERE IS THE IP. They dont bother reading the part where they are suppose to use a dev build. Also this is creating much more of an inconvienece for players because if they switch to use a dev build, it will remain this way, and all of a sudden a new dev build is pushed and these users will just hit Yes i will update. And then you got a new problem.

...all people do when they see the thread is go I wonder if theres whitelist, and WHERE IS THE IP. They dont bother reading the part where they are suppose to use a dev build. Also this is creating much more of an inconvienece for players because if they switch to use a dev build, it will remain this way, and all of a sudden a new dev build is pushed and these users will just hit Yes i will update. And then you got a new problem.

Or you could just not switch your server for a few days until it's pushed to Recommended. Or they could do a Manual Select so it wouldn't auto-change versions. Perhaps you don't understand that auto-updating, even with permission, sometimes breaks things. Releasing a new version of both at the same time, before it has a chance to get a wider-coverage test, is asking for the number of bug reports to quadruple overnight.

Can you make up your mind? First you say its to give server owners time to update, then all of a sudden its to avoid bug reports. Why is 3.1.1 not recommended yet? Does it lack testing, or are the devs trying to manage the community?

Can you make up your mind? First you say its to give server owners time to update, then all of a sudden its to avoid bug reports. Why is 3.1.1 not recommended yet? Does it lack testing, or are the devs trying to manage the community?

Wtf stops it from being both? Giving server owners time to update, check for new plugins, inform their members, etc., etc., prevents bug reports.

We dont need the devs to manage the community, or more specifically server owners. When a release is ready, release it. And if help is needed to test it, say it. The way it is now they recommend server owners to run 3.1.1 but clients to run 3.0.4 which makes no sense

We dont need the devs to manage the community, or more specifically server owners. When a release is ready, release it. And if help is needed to test it, say it. The way it is now they recommend server owners to run 3.1.1 but clients to run 3.0.4 which makes no sense

As soon as they put you in charge of updates, feel free to let us know. Server owners that pay attention and are communicating with their clients should have no issues with this. For the rest, that's why Kaker put a sticky in the Tekkit Bug Board.

That is pretty far out. Take a look at the front page, only links to 3.1 but why should server owners use it? Clients are not 3.1 yet. Its got nothing to do with server owners failing to pay attention, its something wrong with the release cycle from the tekkit team

That is pretty far out. Take a look at the front page, only links to 3.1 but why should server owners use it? Clients are not 3.1 yet. Its got nothing to do with server owners failing to pay attention, its something wrong with the release cycle from the tekkit team

How many times is someone going to have to say, "If you push the new client and new server both at once, people will yell at you!" before you realize that it doesn't matter how they do it? Pretend they push both. People will be on the Bug Boards before an hour has passed, whining about how they can't log in to their favorite server because they did an update. They've found a method that works - as evidence, I don't see a ton of complaint threads, and you're the only one that seems to be pushing the issue. Give it a rest.

• Forum Administrators

I don't think you understand at all what we are telling you. If we did it your way we would instantly break every single Tekkit server running out there, right now. Not a single person would be able to jump on their server to play Tekkit because their server wouldn't have been updated. We don't have the ability (nor the desire) to update people's servers in the same way as the clients, so the way we do it is the "best" way.

I suppose that your way is cool in a "I don't understand how to manage community releases" sort of way. Really, it's not difficult to understand why we release Tekkit as we do, it's server-operater centered. Unless, again, you just love breaking people's servers.

• Forum Administrators

Thanks whoever warned me, but it shouldn't say I have insufficient privileges to post on this forum then. Kinda confusing when coming from other forums where the the post button is there.

In that case see the stickied thread at the top of this board, if you were so interested in this topic.

When minecraft makes a release no one asks the server admins to upgrade first...it gives the users the option not to upgrade. It's as simple as clicking no or yes fir the users. Once upgraded they cannot roll back, where as tekkit can. I'd rather explain to my users to go backwards than forwards tbh. Why can't tekkit just do that with a similar explanation that says "servers need to upgrade" in the console that'll spam to us a new server release is available? Server admins are far less (note I said less not 100%) of idiots than the general joe user is. Put it on the server admins to upgrade their servers and not general joe idiot user to upgrade his client. It's a tried and true method by mojang with their updates and the tekkit launcher is a lot more robust than the default client is. Put it to use.

If 3.11 is not a recommended build to be using then it shouldn't be on the main site for download, it should be on a dev site that says use this at your own risk until bugs are worked out. Once those bugs are worked out then replace it on the site and push it to users. That's far more logical IMO. Once it's on the main site it should be considered "recommended".

Thats no

I don't think you understand at all what we are telling you. If we did it your way we would instantly break every single Tekkit server running out there, right now. Not a single person would be able to jump on their server to play Tekkit because their server wouldn't have been updated. We don't have the ability (nor the desire) to update people's servers in the same way as the clients, so the way we do it is the "best" way.

I suppose that your way is cool in a "I don't understand how to manage community releases" sort of way. Really, it's not difficult to understand why we release Tekkit as we do, it's server-operater centered. Unless, again, you just love breaking people's servers.

You are trying to manage the community but you only end up creating more problems. First of all, the servers who do update loose players because some people cant connect, 2nd of all, when people switch to the dev builds, there will be a point where you push a new dev build, and these people will update without knowing any better. Then they cant connect. And whats the reason for this? You dont want to "Break every single server". Well that will not be the case since client updates are optional.