Tekkit Launcher: Cannot Find Java Directory!

gaiaalpha

FOUND FIX* Ok wat u need to do if u are on windows 7 is go to computer/programfilesx86 and copy the java folder and then go into computer/progrm files and paste it

You don't want to do that, the Program Files (x86) folder is for 32-bit programs and the Program Files folder is for 64-bit programs. (This is only if you have a 64-bit OS if you don't you will only have one folder called Program Files and it is for 32-bit then). While it make work it could lead to some problems later as programs that find java there will be expecting the 64-bit version of it and will get the 32-bit. You should uninstall it and reinstall the 64-bit version and if that doesn't resolve the problem Google how to set the path variable or just add the line "C:\Program Files\Java\jre(whatever)\bin\javaw.exe" to a .bat file. You can just wait till it give you problems if you want though, since it seems to be working for you.

FOUND FIX* Ok wat u need to do if u are on windows 7 is go to computer/programfilesx86 and copy the java folder and then go into computer/progrm files and paste it

You should not be allowed near a computer.. anywhere.... ever.

I had this problem when I installed Java through Google Chrome. Reinstalled Java with Internet Explorer 64-bit and it worked fine. The installs were within 15 minutes of each other, so it wasn't that Java updated to a new version for me. I have Windows 7 64-bit.

You don't want to do that, the Program Files (x86) folder is for 32-bit programs and the Program Files folder is for 64-bit programs. (This is only if you have a 64-bit OS if you don't you will only have one folder called Program Files and it is for 32-bit then). While it make work it could lead to some problems later as programs that find java there will be expecting the 64-bit version of it and will get the 32-bit. You should uninstall it and reinstall the 64-bit version and if that doesn't resolve the problem Google how to set the path variable or just add the line "C:\Program Files\Java\jre(whatever)\bin\javaw.exe" to a .bat file. You can just wait till it give you problems if you want though, since it seems to be working for you.

srry but it worked for me i dont like the hateful comments i spent a long time trying to find the answer and i should be allowed near a computer because i just fixed my own problem. link the gamer put it in a very politeful way as in for destructive critisisism ( I dont know how to spell, sue me.) but if you dont like the way i do things then leave it to yourself. By the way Linkthegamer its still working i have java in both the x86 and nomal program files. :)

srry but it worked for me i dont like the hateful comments i spent a long time trying to find the answer and i should be allowed near a computer because i just fixed my own problem. link the gamer put it in a very politeful way as in for destructive critisisism ( I dont know how to spell, sue me.) but if you dont like the way i do things then leave it to yourself. By the way Linkthegamer its still working i have java in both the x86 and nomal program files. :)

It might not work for other things though, computers don't like when they think they go to execute something that requires a 64-bit version and get a 32-bit one in return. I really don't know that much about java and the the differences in the 32 and 64 bit versions so I can't tell you if or when it will break.

• 2 months later...

The thing that made me think of this fix is that what is it got the directory wrong and thought it was in regular program files. so simple move java into reg program files that shouldnt mess things up if its just a file. all other programs that use java also can get java in whichever program files it was specified to go to. just a thought. im not a genius, but it takes some common sense.

• 2 months later...

I've too had a few issues with Java in the past and the only way to make sure things to well for me is to install both the 64 bit and the 32 bit version of Java. First I would remove anything java related in my "uninstall programs" under the control panel in windows 7, then I would download both versions of java and sit them ready on the desktop.

First start the install for the 32bit version and go through the steps as per normal "yes, yes, yes, Install google bar? wtf nooo!, yes , i agree, bla bla" when done with the 32bit version start the 64bit version but this time you need to change the directory not in anything but a created folder in the original location it says, just call it "64" that's it.

once done you can use programs like MagicLancher and McPatcher and I think Tekkit (not sure though) and check the Java location that it will be using, if you see something like "C:/Program Files/java/jre7/64/" then your set you know that MC/tekkit is using the correct version of java you want! if you want to use the 32bit version just remove the "64" :D

Hope this helps! if not sorry just thought I would share my success.