Is there any reason to have NEI enabled server-side?

VideoBoy

I know NEI was busted in 3.0.4 with like 3 different dupe glitches. I just removed it from my server. The only reason I can think of to keep the server version is to spawn items easily but is there another reason? I don't really spawn stuff... Thanks!

I'm not sure why its even in the Tekkit server pack either, I'm curious to know why its in the server pack of Tekkit, anyone here can tell us why its there, its not even needed for the recipe mode that still works fine if you got NEI on the client side.

Server-side configs for NEI determine who can use magnet mode, control weather, use creative mode, etc.

Thanks for the info! With the exploits the author is aware of and refuses to fix, I'm not at all inclined to keep NEI on the server-side. However, it's really nice to know that the recipe mode still works without the server mod. All I need is more people asking how to craft things ;)

You're correct, there is a fix here and I do have it installed. I just don't have any issues typing "/weather sun" or "/gm" and if all it does is link those few buttons to the client-side mod, I have no use for it anyway.

Also, it's kind of a pet-peeve of mine that a programmer providing something to the public wouldn't fix a known issue that imposes potential exploits to those who aren't necessarily aware of how to manually fix them themselves. I've been programing automated systems for 10 years now and have worked with many different programmers with many different attitudes. I can't stand the kind of attitude and disregard the NEI author has shown over fixing 1 or a few lines of code that he's completely aware of. I'd just rather not deal with his "product" at all.

You're correct, there is a fix here and I do have it installed. I just don't have any issues typing "/weather sun" or "/gm" and if all it does is link those few buttons to the client-side mod, I have no use for it anyway.

Also, it's kind of a pet-peeve of mine that a programmer providing something to the public wouldn't fix a known issue that imposes potential exploits to those who aren't necessarily aware of how to manually fix them themselves. I've been programing automated systems for 10 years now and have worked with many different programmers with many different attitudes. I can't stand the kind of attitude and disregard the NEI author has shown over fixing 1 or a few lines of code that he's completely aware of. I'd just rather not deal with his "product" at all.

Maybe the author of NEI is somehow a griefer/cheater friend (he programmed a cheating mode in his mod so he must be somehow a cheater) so he doesn't want to fix that thing so people can cheat and grief easy on many servers that have it installed and the owners are unaware of this fix.

I dunno, I just removed it and I can still spawn items from the recipe list, I am OP though, I also know about these exploits but the patched version as far as I am aware that fixes the save state and properly checks the packets was not updated for Tekkit 3.1.2 as far as I am aware unless I can replace just one of the class files and it won't downgrade the mod then I had to remove the mod for now.

Edit

It appears removing it from the mods folder will just disable time cheats and dropping items onto the recipe side of the screen to delete the items instead now its removed the time cheats will be invalid and just show the correct usage for time command and dropping items onto the recipe side of the screen will throw them on ground that is about all It does.