HELP: 2x2 Hidden Door with Redpower

Myrilla

I have been trying to think of the best way to make a 2x2 sticky piston hidden door using Redpower. I tried this tutorial but this guy is so hard to follow that I couldn't even make the basic redstone door he demonstrates, much less convert it into a smaller footprint using RedPower.

Anyone got a good, simple blueprint for how to accomplish this?

Isn't a timing mechanism required as well to make sure that certain pistons activate before others?

My big problem is that RP wire behaves slightly different than redstone powder. I am not very good at understanding how either work in 3D.

I know RP should be able to make this very simple but I can't figure out how to put it together myself. I was hoping for something like a template or a map file where someone can show me a working one.

Here's some pics.

1st pic : shows the positioning of the xor gate.

2nd pic : same thing with it's inputs

3rd pic : how the pistons are wired.

When the xor gate has one active input, the doors will be closed.

When the xor gate has 0 or 2 active inputs, the doors will be open.

I just threw this together, you can modify the location of everything to suit your space requirements.

Got it to work but it's ALOT more awkward doing it horizontally, since pistons can be powered in ways I hadn't imagined were possible.. but I got it working. It still takes up ALOT of room but I used a toggle gate to make some easily hidden buttons open the door.

Got it to work but it's ALOT more awkward doing it horizontally, since pistons can be powered in ways I hadn't imagined were possible.. but I got it working. It still takes up ALOT of room but I used a toggle gate to make some easily hidden buttons open the door.

what's a toggle gate?

what's a toggle gate?

It is a gate that switches power to either side of it when it is powered on front or back

ex. signal-left

input front

then signal right.

----------------------

It can be toggled by rs pulses, which is useful since some devices don't respond to rs pulses (as there are too fast.)

Ya a redstone signal to top or bottom causes the switch to flip from left or right, supplying power to one or the other. It's a simple way to make a button behave like a lever. I use it since it's much easier to hide a button then a lever.

That guys tutorial video you linked in the OP was painful. Holy crap. No wonder you were having trouble. The guy barely understood how to do it himself and it was pretty much him trial and erroring until it worked while rambling about OCD.

word.

This guy has a much better video. cleaner and easier to follow. and if you know anything about RP and covers, it should be really easy to simplify this build.

I know very little about RP I sort of ignored it because of my lack of redstone saavy when I started using Technic and it's ballooned out so immensely that I just have trouble approaching the vastness of it.

red-wiring is exponentially more simple then vanilla red powder, even though it looks more complicated. You can do a zillion things with it that are impossible in vanilla, sometimes just because it can be condensed into a tighter space alone, let alone when you add in bundled cable. I'm not super great at MC'ing but I found redwire very easy to pick up and get the hang of. It gets tricky when you add in the logic gates, but when compared to what you'd have to do in vanilla do get the same effect, it's not even close to the same level of difficulty. You also wont need a giant ugly warehouse full of dirt blocks covered in red torches and powder just to do anything fancier then sending a direct current.

Yeah. It is called satisfaction.

People tend to overlook RP2 thinking that it is about Redstone only. It is as awesome as either Industrialcraft or Buildcraft. The covers have so much to offer, and then you have the tubes, and the in-tube item manipulation machines, and and and :D

Yeah. It is called satisfaction.

People tend to overlook RP2 thinking that it is about Redstone only. It is as awesome as either Industrialcraft or Buildcraft. The covers have so much to offer, and then you have the tubes, and the in-tube item manipulation machines, and and and :D

RP2 works great when used in conjuction with the other mods, nice one block pulsars(timer) are great for block breaking factories, etc.

I know very little about RP I sort of ignored it because of my lack of redstone saavy when I started using Technic and it's ballooned out so immensely that I just have trouble approaching the vastness of it.

Just start out small. Connect some machines to lamps in your base so you know what's running. Maybe a neon sign above your main base. Find a reason to figure out the logic gates. Your 2x2 piston door is a good way to learn XOR and XNOR/IFF gates. The indicator lamps is a good way to learn AND/OR gates.

Plus the RP tubes and machines are great for sorting and automating IC and BC stuff.

Build a quarry and use RP retrievers, sorters, and filters to keep all the stuff organized.

The best way to learn any mod is to figure out what you can use it for. Watch some videos on how the different machines work. Direwolf tends to give examples on what the machine could be used for as well as how to make it work.