Sky Broadband Blocked technicpack.net(?)

IAmOmicron

Assuming Sky is an ISP, I don't think it's just the ISP blocking it (Unless it has a tendency to block sites randomly on its own, or has a built-in blocking system). If you don't 'own' your internet (Parent or company you work for owns it, or maybe an apartment complex's wifi or something), then they may have set a block on certain sites (Not specific ones, I'm sure. Just sites that fit their specifications of inappropriate content).

Are you the only owner and user of your PC and/or Internet connection?

Odd. Have you contacted your ISP about it then?

I will be doing so tomorrow. (Well, today, but when I go to sleep and wake up...)

I only found out it was just Sky users earlier on, but after they closed the lines.

Will post back with results soon if nobody else does so before hand. (That is if the proxy still works)

Finished on the phone, they have no idea what could be causing the issue, however they did suggest that some sort of security was put into place on the site to block Sky customers... As if that's true, silly sky.

So yeah, I'm still using a proxy and i'll TRY (proxy isn't stable) to get a hold of a technic admin (if possible) and resolve the issue. (Yet again, if possible)

My access via Sky has been stopped. I read it was something 'possibly' to do with not supporting IPv6. But that would only be the case if this website changed to IPv6 in the last week or so.

Here via painfully slow proxy site

Technology is getting right up my backside lately... nothing works properly for long

I reccomend www.bestukvpn.com/ it is a nice little free (stable) vpn for anyone having connection issue's, Keep the site bookmarked as they change the vpn password regular. So after a very short conversation with sky technicians over the phone, I think they honestly do not have a clue. I guess its vpn or proxy until the gets resolved.

My question is then.... not being the super tech minded guy I would like to be....

Can I still update my Technic launcher? Where do the updates come from? If they are from the same blocked IP (or whatever the issue is), then I am surely now stuck on the version I have.

I'm going to get my ZXSpectrum back out the loft

My question is then.... not being the super tech minded guy I would like to be....

Can I still update my Technic launcher? Where do the updates come from? If they are from the same blocked IP (or whatever the issue is), then I am surely now stuck on the version I have.

I'm going to get my ZXSpectrum back out the loft

I'd imagine there may b an issue with this as well, however, changing to dev builds the downloads work fine for me, but i'm not sure about when they push a new update.

Assuming windows.

Start, Run, "cmd"

"tracert technicpack.net"

See where it stops, make sure it really stops and not just "request times out" for a couple hops.

Can't resolve host? DNS is screwed up either on your computer or on sky's servers. Try again with the IP 175.245.61.63

Route never resolves a hop? Sky is blocking the route on your gateway router, 99.99% chance it's intentional. Probably not technic related though, but a block on technic's host for some reason.

Route stops? The last known hop is most likely blocking the connection, check the name and see who owns it.

Route completes with a ping to cloudflare.com? Website host is blocking the http connection, no clue why they would though.

If path stops at sky's edge and only affects the technicpack.net domain, they're blocking it.

cloudflare.com resolves to the exact same pool of IPs technicpack.net resolve to, so if they had a bad route to the IP it would break the cloudflare website as well.

Contact them again, let them know it's specifically that domain affected by this and none of the other domians on the same host.

If they deny it, offer to send them a screenshot of the tracert results to both technic and cloudflare.

If path stops at sky's edge and only affects the technicpack.net domain, they're blocking it.

cloudflare.com resolves to the exact same pool of IPs technicpack.net resolve to, so if they had a bad route to the IP it would break the cloudflare website as well.

Contact them again, let them know it's specifically that domain affected by this and none of the other domians on the same host.

If they deny it, offer to send them a screenshot of the tracert results to both technic and cloudflare.

You, Sir, are a top bloke.

Right after a PAINFUL 50 minutes on the phone to Sky engineers (is the time set correctly on your laptop sir. Please clear your cookies)... WTF.

Technic.net is not on their block list. I mentioned the IPv6 and IPv4 theory - in that this site uses (I believe) IPv6 and SKY cannot access that. The engineers did not really seem to understand any of that. They just kept telling me that Windows 7 is IPv6 compatible.... which isn't the issue.

If that is the case, then this site must have updated something that has caused the problem. I have mailed Kakermix about it - but no answer. I think its more likely that something has changed at this end, rather than SKY's.

So it doesn't look like all the SKY customers are going to be able to use Technicpack easily for a long time.

It is in fact Sky that is not ready for IPv6, but they aren't admitting it.

You are not alone.

Yeah, I spoke to them about that. The Scottish woman said 'IPv6 is not supported as of yet and I have no idea when it will be.'

So basically... They are hindering my gaming abilities/opportunities... Complain and get free internetz?