Redpower Sorting System: Help Needed!

Hi, I wanted to make a sorting system on my Tekkit server using RP2 sorting machines but I have to sort more than I can fit in one machine. So I was wondering if anyone knew any good sorting system designs. Pictures are preferable but a good video will work too. Thanks for any help!

I went the easy route, A transposer in front of the "collection chest", running down a tube down the middle of my chestroom ceiling..with a filter above each chest to sort into..

So I can sort up to 9 things into one chest (usually I dont like more than 9 different things in a chest anyway..gets confusing to find).

The chests at the far end have nothing in the fliters..so they are "things not sorted yet" junk drawer of sorts..only things not setup yet make it to the end to figure out where to put them later.

Also saves me from needing redpower for sorters..no wire/cable/power needed (just a timer on the 'send chest' to pull from it)

Plus This way I can grow it longer, just add more pipe to the end and slap down more chest.

CMptF.jpg

I went the easy route, A transposer in front of the "collection chest", running down a tube down the middle of my chestroom ceiling..with a filter above each chest to sort into..

So I can sort up to 9 things into one chest (usually I dont like more than 9 different things in a chest anyway..gets confusing to find).

The chests at the far end have nothing in the fliters..so they are "things not sorted yet" junk drawer of sorts..only things not setup yet make it to the end to figure out where to put them later.

Also saves me from needing redpower for sorters..no wire/cable/power needed (just a timer on the 'send chest' to pull from it)

Plus This way I can grow it longer, just add more pipe to the end and slap down more chest.

CMptF.jpg

Thanks for this, Its really simple and interesting.

I run my sorting machines all inline in stacks. Before all of the sorters I use a few chests for unsorted items connected by a restriction tube. If there is no valid sorter destination then the items will default into the unsorted chest.

For this to work you need to understand how tubes and sorters work in redpower 2: Items in tubes are delivered to the first valid destination... So EVERY sorter connected must have a set color with at least one item being sorted. If there are sorters connected to this line with colors set but no items, items will be sent to this sorter before any sorters further down the line.

I set all of my sorters to any item mode. Hopefully this will give you another simple way of using sorters besides the default color mode for unknown items (though that mode is very useful for sorting to macerators, furnace etc...)

hJSNM.png

mZcfP.png

sb6Cu.png

2NhPl.png

I run my sorting machines all inline in stacks. Before all of the sorters I use a few chests for unsorted items connected by a restriction tube. If there is no valid sorter destination then the items will default into the unsorted chest.

For this to work you need to understand how tubes and sorters work in redpower 2: Items in tubes are delivered to the first valid destination... So EVERY sorter connected must have a set color with at least one item being sorted. If there are sorters connected to this line with colors set but no items, items will be sent to this sorter before any sorters further down the line.

I set all of my sorters to any item mode. Hopefully this will give you another simple way of using sorters besides the default color mode for unknown items (though that mode is very useful for sorting to macerators, furnace etc...)

hJSNM.png

mZcfP.png

sb6Cu.png

2NhPl.png

You, sir, have a lot of stuff.

I had a setup with a production area (EE stuff) pulling a ton of various items out of condensers and pumping them in a high speed tube over to a storage area. I needed solar panels for my tube accelerator, and then for the sorting machine on the storage end. I added enough types of items to need two storage machines, and ran them in parallel. Each sorting machine would only accept it's type of items, so they didn't steal from each other. It was also controlled with no un-sorted items entering the line, so I didn't need a default route. I reworked it later to make the existing input filters color code things. I got rid of the sorting machines and their solar panels by doing so.

I've used every color tube, so if I add on to the setup, I'll have to add some filters on the storage end to reroute the new items to a second bank of chests. (If I was still using sorting machines, the sorters could either be used with a default route set up, or in parallel with only certain items accepted).

Making the sorting machines work was trivial compared to what I had to do to keep things from overflowing and backfilling my production area.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...