Mod Copyright Discussion

Cheap Shot

Wow, my original thread really sparked something, I was not expecting it to get that huge.. anyways, when people start taking sides and causing drama about mods and e-peens, it just causes more problems. Alot of the modders need to realize that their mods being here does wonders for them not only in exposure, but also still contributes downloads. I don't know about the rest of the technic community, but after a new minecraft update I keep an eye on the mods that are usually in the pack and while you technic guys are either waiting on a few mods to finish updating/ working your magic on getting them to all play nice together (Thank you for all you guys do) I will usually self install/configure the mods that are updated into a makeshift technic pack to use while waiting for the actual pack to be finished. So I am still downloading the mods from the site. The pack is a way more convenient way for people to install, play and maintain their modded game. Not only that but there is the community around it, everyone has the same base mods with all the same id's which enables easy sharing of their creations for others to download and check out. Add in the community bugfixes/workarounds to help and guide players into fixing game-breaking bugs until they are officially fixed.

TLDR Technic is a great thing for it's players, mods and community and the modders should realize this.

Anyone who thinks a difference can be made by joining together and raising their voices are usually right, but in this situation you'd find yourselves worse off then before. The best way you can make a positive change in this community is by not giving two shits about anything anyone shouts about. Playing mods you like, donating to the mods authors, and posting publicly about the things you like is what everyone should be doing. The more you get angry and worked up, the faster this community spirals down the drain. We've had more luck getting permissions recently since everyone stopped caring about FlowerChild and realized he's just a huge ass. Technic is THE way to play minecraft. Two out of two Yogs agree. People are catching on that modpacks are the best way to do things when your target audience is a community like this. The modders will just be the last to figure it out. We hope by being reasonable and helpful they'll come around and see things in a more positive light.

I mean we love the hell out of MC drama. It's the most entertaining kind of drama. But we'd love to have technic become more then it is.

Just wondering, have had the technic team ever thought of making their own mods(I mean the launcher show some pretty epic programming skills) you can use all your technical expertise to make a perfect technical mod :P .

Edit: No mod edit to say which exact words I was keller'd for. I just shared my opinions and views, that's how one sees all corner of a problem. Also being ignorant is how we learn...

Though Mojang could just take mods and call them their own their track record suggests otherwise. Notch paid for mods he incorporated into the client (at least I have heard secondhand that the lighting system and the way world data is saved as both based on player mods.)

Though Mojang could just take mods and call them their own their track record suggests otherwise. Notch paid for mods he incorporated into the client (at least I have heard secondhand that the lighting system and the way world data is saved as both based on player mods.)

Yeah, Smooth lighting was by MrMessiah and McRegion world format was by Scaevolus. I don't know if they got paid though. Also interestingly Scaevolus got credit in game, every time a file from before beta 1.3 was converted it would say "Converting to Scaevolus's McRegion".

Pistons? Wolves? Testificates? Powered rails? Repeaters?

Ever since Notch whined on his twitter that he doesn't want to fix bugs because it's not as fun (which I would accept from a FREE game, because free = don't bitch, I don't accept from a PAID game), I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Pistons? Wolves? Testificates? Powered rails? Repeaters?

Ever since Notch whined on his twitter that he doesn't want to fix bugs because it's not as fun (which I would accept from a FREE game, because free = don't bitch, I don't accept from a PAID game), I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

I knew pistons were a mod that got incorporated. I had no idea on the others. Who made them and what was the situation with them? Did Notch just snatch them up without contacting the mod creator?

And isn't Notch off the greener fields anyway? I thought Jeb was in charge of the whole shebang now and he was working on important goodness like the Mod API? Do you mean you don't trust any official word from Mojang, or Notch specifically?

I'm pretty cool with Mojang currently.

It's Notch I no longer respect. Mojang is on probation with me until they prove their good intentions and methods under Jeb's eye. If they decide to take software development seriously now, I'll be happy.

It's Notch I no longer respect. Mojang is on probation with me until they prove their good intentions and methods under Jeb's eye. If they decide to take software development seriously now, I'll be happy.

lol if you think Mojang isn't just Notch telling Jeb what to put in the game.

Eh. I don't really have a problem with mojang or notch right now. Things started to get silly with the updates, but then notch stepped down, and we got jeb. Yeah, notch made a shit ton of money, but the way he did it was perfectly honest and legitimate.

As for his stance on bugfixes and such, Mojang has been way better in that area than much larger companies *coughfuckyoubethesdacoughcough*

What i think a lot of people miss when they talk about this subject is that Notch isn't a detail guy, and never has been. Minecraft started as this broad idea "what if every single object in the entire game was something you could use?" And once notch had all the framework for that game set up, and he tried to do details, that's when things started getting awful.

Eh. I don't really have a problem with mojang or notch right now. Things started to get silly with the updates, but then notch stepped down, and we got jeb. Yeah, notch made a shit ton of money, but the way he did it was perfectly honest and legitimate.

As for his stance on bugfixes and such, Mojang has been way better in that area than much larger companies *coughfuckyoubethesdacoughcough*

What i think a lot of people miss when they talk about this subject is that Notch isn't a detail guy, and never has been. Minecraft started as this broad idea "what if every single object in the entire game was something you could use?" And once notch had all the framework for that game set up, and he tried to do details, that's when things started getting awful.

Yeah Notch kinda just seemed like a guy who made a game based on an idea he like and then was in it for the fun, he never struck me as being into serious development and more just doing what he thought was cool or fun. Mojang as been good with most bugfixes... they try to only leave the ones that have been used in cool builds. Bug fixing is a rather boring task to do, I mean it is just finding where in the code something go all messed up, not as rewarding as adding something new.

As far as the beef with the ToS, I feel like the issue isn't so much the Minecraft ToS but a bigger issue with society as a whole and its desire to keep an extremely firm grasp on things that don't belong to it. It's pretty typical for a ToS or EULA to have a "We can change this whenever and without notifying you" clause and honestly I do believe like one poster said that it's more of a cover-our-arse clause than a lets-change-it-to-say-you-agreed-to-pay-us-a-lot-of-money-lawl-troll or other more believeable but still nasty reasons, however, just because you don't think they will doesn't mean they won't. It's a really big trust thing that we don't even think about. Ever joined a forum? Yeah, you probably did because if you're reading this it's likely you joined this forum. Did you read the agreement? Yeah, I "did" too. Like I wanna read a multiple page legal document whenever I sign up for something. Nope! Even if I did read it, I'm not a law student so most of it would fly over my head, if not all. "The aforementioned, hereby known as proprietor," who wrote this, Shakespeare?

Sorry, little off topic there. I'll give an example of what I mean by the whole "hold on to something when it's gone" thing from before. We got two guys, derp and averageJoe. derp likes to make stuff in his off time because rather than get wasted he is productive (learn from derp)! derp makes a very interesting trinkety doodad thing and averageJoe is amazed with it. "It's incredible! It's all I've ever wanted! I must have this derp my good man! I will pay you x amount of money!" derp agrees and sells it to him for x moneys. Now, this is where you can free form the example a bit. derp finds out his trinket is forth a lot more money in actuality, say 10x, and goes to averageJoe pleading to him to trade it back. averagejoe refuses, he has a cool thing he likes AND made a good profit. derp feels like because he made the trinket he has some kind of claim to it as if averageJoe should be willing to trade it back even though there isn't any real reason for him to (if they were best friends maybe, but assume they aren't). Why does he? I don't even think it's greed that makes him feel like it's still his (it's greed that brought it to the surface though, like a catalyst), it's some kind of natural human response to look at things and believe they belong to you. It could be anything that brings out that feeling, maybe derp just wants to see his trinket again or something.

People who make things for a living, especially things that are ideas or information (read anything that you can reproduce for essentially zero price, e.g. mods, software, stories, etc.), need to learn to let go a bit from their works. Take iPhones as an example, I don't know the specifics of the situation but jail breaking them is a violation of the ToS. Doing something to your phone that you bought and own is not okay. Back to derp and averageJoe, what if averageJoe painted the trinket, or modified so that it was more to averageJoe's liking, and suddenly derp breaks into his house and literally breaks the trinket in half (Some devices are designed to do stuff like that if they sense tampering). "WHAT THE HELL, dERP!?" "You signed that ToS, remember?" averageJoe isn't happy about this at all.

I can totally understand the fear behind all this though, again, especially with information/ideas because they are easy to copy. For example, when Minecraft became popular there suddenly were a bunch of spin off block building games. Was this a theft of an idea, no, not at all. In fact, Minecraft itself literally started as an Infiniminer clone. Look at it now. It's balls to the walls awesome. So fun, I used a statement that I don't know what it means! I honestly believe though that if Mojang was a big corporate entitiy and had some big mean legal dept. though that, possibly, fesably, those games could have gotten sued. And is it evil to sue them? Yeah, but not as much as you think, deep down there is a fear that them doing that will cost them money. Pretend Mineclone: Reckoning was so good that literally no one bought Minecraft anymore and it was early in Minecraft's success so they didn't become rich. If something like that happened to you, wouldn't you be pissed?

It's early, I had very little sleep, I've rambled and not come to a good point but honestly I want to ramble more to try and get there but I can't do it with a good conscience now that I know I've been rambling so much so I will give the tl;dr conclusion of what I'm trying to get at.

The problem isn't the Mojang ToS and EULA, it's every ToS and EULA and society as a whole. We make things, tangible or idealogical, and feel like we own them even after we sell them. We fear that people will steal our designs/ideas and make more money than we do/keep us form making money and profiteer off our own ideas. Maybe all that is true and could happen but wouldn't it be nice if... we weren't like that? If more things were open source or more things allowed modified versions without people flipping the fuck out? It would be. For the developers too. Because any developer, no matter how much they develop, buys/takes in more things than they will ever output. So it would benefit them as a consumer more than a producer, sure, but the net gain would be greater. Suddenly technological frontier open source idea consortium concordantly visa vie awesomeness never pay for software again or get it extremely cheap and device manufactures let you tinker with things because they aren't dick holes and realize that if you come up with something related to their product it'll still benefit them as a consumer along with every other person that uses that thing.

That's something to think about Technic Forums, make it a great day, or not. The choice is yours.

PS: FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild FlowerChild