How Can I Buff Generators etc (the EU they produce)

Abysinian

Hi there,

I've noticed that a lot of servers ban Compact Solars due to lag issues. BeyondMinecraft have changed the other Generators/Geothermals/Reactors to output more EU to compensate for the loss of the Arrays and I was wondering if anyone could explain how to do it or point me towards a guide.

I'm well versed in programming in multiple languages and environments and I'm studying for my Honours Degree in Applied Computing so please don't comment with something basically telling me it's too complicated or I wouldn't be able to do it.

And please, if you know how to do it, do not dumb it down, give me as much detail as you can because the more detail I get the more helpful it will be.

Thanks a lot!

Hi there,

I've noticed that a lot of servers ban Compact Solars due to lag issues. BeyondMinecraft have changed the other Generators/Geothermals/Reactors to output more EU to compensate for the loss of the Arrays and I was wondering if anyone could explain how to do it or point me towards a guide.

I'm well versed in programming in multiple languages and environments and I'm studying for my Honours Degree in Applied Computing so please don't comment with something basically telling me it's too complicated or I wouldn't be able to do it.

And please, if you know how to do it, do not dumb it down, give me as much detail as you can because the more detail I get the more helpful it will be.

Thanks a lot!

So.... that Honours Degree in Applied Computing means you don't look in config files then?

config/IC2.cfg

# Base energy generation values - increase those for higher energy yield

energyGeneratorBase=10

energyGeneratorGeo=20

energyGeneratorNuclear=10

energyGeneratorSolar=100

energyGeneratorWater=100

energyGeneratorWind=100

So.... that Honours Degree in Applied Computing means you don't look in config files then?

config/IC2.cfg

energyGeneratorBase=10

energyGeneratorGeo=20

energyGeneratorSolar=100

energyGeneratorWater=100

energyGeneratorWind=100

:iceburn:

Also, I'm curious, how do compact solars make lag? I don't see why they'd be any laggier than a big nuclear reactor.

config/IC2.cfg

energyGeneratorBase=10

energyGeneratorGeo=20

energyGeneratorSolar=100

energyGeneratorWater=100

energyGeneratorWind=100

I'm almost 100% certain I looked in that file (and I definitely looked through a bunch of others) and never noticed those lines, silly me D:

Thanks for the info though :]

:iceburn:

Also, I'm curious, how do compact solars make lag? I don't see why they'd be any laggier than a big nuclear reactor.

Don't encourage him :P

As for the Panels/Arrays, I have no idea really. It's just what I've seen and read in a few places, I'm curious myself.

In case you haven't noticed, no one gives two shits about each others' education around here, which is why people are making fun of your educational hubris. Either people's posts reflect their intelligence or they don't, and that's the only metric used around here. Never would anyone in this community not help and instead open with the comment "it's over your head noob" because my foot would be up their ass so far I'd itch my knee by scratching their nose.

In case you haven't noticed, no one gives two shits about each others' education around here, which is why people are making fun of your educational hubris. Either people's posts reflect their intelligence or they don't, and that's the only metric used around here. Never would anyone in this community not help and instead open with the comment "it's over your head noob" because my foot would be up their ass so far I'd itch my knee by scratching their nose.

Well it's good to know there are Moderators etc around with your attitude, I'm just used to Forums where people aren't as nice or helpful as here. I guess I should have omitted that part of my OP. I wouldn't describe it as hubris, however, I was just trying to say I have experience with this kind of thing and so didn't want anything dumbed down or to be told it's very complicated so I'd be best just leaving it as it is, not trying to act superior or big-headed by any means.

Either way, I got the answer I was looking for, which was much simpler than I thought :D (although trying to balance it could be a little more difficult!)

The problem with adjusting solars is even though you can change their timings (advanced solars config), the multiplier will not work. Because of this, we banned them on BeyondMinecraft. We tried to remove all forms of 'set it and forget it' energy production. Not because we're crazy-mean and don't want people to play 'Tekkit', but because the longer you have a map, the more people will come on and make their solars and whatnot. Those people get banned or move on, but their chunks are still being loaded and causing and exceptional amount of lag...for no reason.

This may not be a problem for 20 man servers, but we generally have 200+ online. We rolled a new map about 2 weeks ago and we already have 3,000+ players with claims on GriefPrevention. How many people want to craft solars ASAP? It all adds up pretty quick. Yes, there are other things that probably tick 20 times a second, but we can't control everything. Nuclear for example (also buffed on our server) is reserved for the highest donation rank. We don't really need to worry about every player placing reactors like we did for arrays.

What works for us can easily (and often does) make people quit the server as soon as they log on and find out solars are banned. You just need to explain to them why you're doing it and show them an example. We buffed geothermal so much it requires a lv-transformer. They love it once they try it.

Hopefully in the next version of Tekkit they use the IC2 1.X version (I don't see why they wouldn't) because the API for IC2 was updated with some good methods that will let us poll the EnergyNet to see not only what types of machines cause lag, but their exact X,Y,Z. We've got the plugin coded and ready to go. Just waiting for that update.

The problem with adjusting solars is even though you can change their timings (advanced solars config), the multiplier will not work. Because of this, we banned them on BeyondMinecraft. We tried to remove all forms of 'set it and forget it' energy production. Not because we're crazy-mean and don't want people to play 'Tekkit', but because the longer you have a map, the more people will come on and make their solars and whatnot. Those people get banned or move on, but their chunks are still being loaded and causing and exceptional amount of lag...for no reason.

This may not be a problem for 20 man servers, but we generally have 200+ online. We rolled a new map about 2 weeks ago and we already have 3,000+ players with claims on GriefPrevention. How many people want to craft solars ASAP? It all adds up pretty quick. Yes, there are other things that probably tick 20 times a second, but we can't control everything. Nuclear for example (also buffed on our server) is reserved for the highest donation rank. We don't really need to worry about every player placing reactors like we did for arrays.

What works for us can easily (and often does) make people quit the server as soon as they log on and find out solars are banned. You just need to explain to them why you're doing it and show them an example. We buffed geothermal so much it requires a lv-transformer. They love it once they try it.

Hopefully in the next version of Tekkit they use the IC2 1.X version (I don't see why they wouldn't) because the API for IC2 was updated with some good methods that will let us poll the EnergyNet to see not only what types of machines cause lag, but their exact X,Y,Z. We've got the plugin coded and ready to go. Just waiting for that update.

Wait. banned players stuff remains? If it was me i would grab it and put it to use.

Haha, it's funny that you should reply to this. It was actually from BeyondMinecraft that we found out about the Solars causing the lag and decided to give this a go. So far it's been going great, and I agree completely with what you've said. Our Geo's require an LV-Transformer too and people after the initial shock of Solars not being there they forget about it completely.

A few people come on and say "WTF SOLARS ARE BANNED?!" then either leave or realise that the buffed ones more than make up for it.

That plugin sounds pretty impressive, if you ever release it for other Servers I'd love to give it a go.

I might be completely wrong here, but wouldn't one LV array cause less lag than the eight individual panels that gominto it? With arrays banned, you end up placing 512 regulat solar panels instead of one HV array, effectively multiplying lag by 512 for HV, 64 fo MV, and 8 for LV.

That is perfectly true, there's far more separate packets going around. But the lag created by that is very small, unnoticeable on most servers. Plus, it makes for better looking solar centrals and more creative energy making means.