Text based "RPG" in lua?

andrewdonshik

Ok, just to say, I got this idea from GreenWolf13. I want to make a game that has multiple quest paths, exponential leveling in different skills, and an inventory tracker, while having the quests add such points and loot. The only issue is that the only programming language I have any knowledge in is lua, and I'm wondering if this would be possible.

(I have vim and the lua binaries on my computer.

You called?

THis is vey possible, and was one of the ways I thought about programming it. Unfortunately I don;t have time to do it as MageCraft is taking up a lot of time. I'd be willing to give you pointers though, if you need any help. Also, while Lua is java based, I suggest using java instead, as it is a bit more flexible.

You called?

THis is vey possible, and was one of the ways I thought about programming it. Unfortunately I don;t have time to do it as MageCraft is taking up a lot of time. I'd be willing to give you pointers though, if you need any help. Also, while Lua is java based, I suggest using java instead, as it is a bit more flexible.

I'd rather lua it first, as I understand it very well. (Direwolf20 is a good teacher.)

Dude, this is your lucky day! Computer craft have exactly that as one of it's default programs, and they're all open source, so I'd tip you to go to their forum and look for it!

If you want to try it by yourself, just go into a CC computer and type "adventure".

Dude, this is your lucky day! Computer craft have exactly that as one of it's default programs, and they're all open source, so I'd tip you to go to their forum and look for it!

If you want to try it by yourself, just go into a CC computer and type "adventure".

That isn't exactly the same thing..

It's up to you. I use windows, but that's because I have a PC. Eclipse is handy tool for Java development. It allows you to test out your prgrams and compile them into a java executable file. It also has tutorials on how to use Java, and it shows when you make syntax errors by highlighting them (forgetting quotes, misplacing a colon).

It's up to you. I use windows, but that's because I have a PC. Eclipse is handy tool for Java development. It allows you to test out your prgrams and compile them into a java executable file. It also has tutorials on how to use Java, and it shows when you make syntax errors by highlighting them (forgetting quotes, misplacing a colon).

Ok, I'll look into it tomorrow.

If it compiles, it can probably make a text-based game. If it does object-orientation (with object inheritance, polymorphism and the whole nine yards) and file parsing, it can probably make a very robust/easily maintained/easy-to-modify text-based game. If it has functional programming capabilities on top of that, then it will probably be easy to make a super-flexible core engine.

If it compiles, it can probably make a text-based game. If it does object-orientation (with object inheritance, polymorphism and the whole nine yards) and file parsing, it can probably make a very robust/easily maintained/easy-to-modify text-based game. If it has functional programming capabilities on top of that, then it will probably be easy to make a super-flexible core engine.

And if you use Java, it has everything he just said, -and- it's immediately cross-compatible. LWJGL+Slick is an easy bet, open-source and licensable to free or commercial. Or, you could go the wxWidgets route. You can't really do a true straight-to-console textual game anymore, unless you care only about running it on Un*x, and even then, ncurses is better.

Also, what you describe sounds like a singleplayer MUD.

If it has functional programming capabilities

I'm trying to think of a language without at least some form of functional programming other than assembly (which isn't a language so much as a transcoding), and I'm not succeeding. Even LISP has functions of a sort. Maybe I'm just not going back far enough...