Extreme HV Power, What to do...?

Tclementi1

I have been playing tekkit for a long time and have finnaly decided to build a nuclear reactor My design is extremely efficient and am generating loads of power every machine i try to hook up to it explodes i was wondering how i would lower the power to my machines?

Please Help

Thanks

The most energy a nuclear reactor can output is 2400 EU/t (every slot of a 6-chamber filled with uranium) and an HV transformer can handle that (though you lose power if you're not using 2).

HV transformers can only take 2048. I was suspicious of your claims, and just now went and built a supposedly 2400 EU/tick reactor. It in fact only put out 2048 EU/tick, which would explain the transformer not blowing up.

I'm not sure why it did that. When I put a HV cable in between the reactor and the transformer, it melted, suggesting higher than 2048.

But regardless, it only went up to 2048 with the transformer directly attached, for some reason, not 2400.

That's because a HV transformer can only accept 2048 EU/t and output 4x 512 EU/t (or vice versa when stepping up instead of down).

What is happening is that the reactor sends a packet larger than 2048, thus blowing up the cable. But, regardless of how large the packet is, the transformer will only pass 2048 EU through itself, because that is its limit.

If someone wants to build a reactor with more than 2048 EU worth of output, what they need to do is use two HV transformers (as mentioned before). Make sure both transformers are the same distance away (i.e. both directly connected, both 1 cable away, both 2 cables away etc).

What will happen this is: the reactor recognizes two fully equivalent destinations for its power, and thus instead of outputting one 2400 EU packet, it outputs two 1200 EU packets. That way the HV cable will not blow up (even if you use one cable to connect both transformers), and you will not lose any power in the transformers as neither of the two transformers is hitting its passthrough limit.

Yes, and it is completely irrelevant because wires only blow up by packet size. You can transfer millions of EU per second through a copper cable so long as no individual packet is larger than 32 EU.

And no, transformers cannot accept infinite EU/t. Go on, try it out ingame.

No! Voltage is not the same as current.

Any device can accept infinite EU/t. They cannot, however, accept any voltage. HV is 2048 pEU, but can be stepped down with transformers to 32 pEU. But there will still be 2400 EU/t traveling through the wire.

No... there is 2048 EU/t TOTAL traveling down the wire. How do I know this? Because I built the thing and measured it with an EU reader AND and MFSU, and they both came out to 2048 EU/tick, for a fully packed reactor with 6 chambers.

And I also know why it happens now. HV transformers can indeed accept infinite EU/tick, but ONLY until their internal batteries fill up (which hold 4096 EU), at which point, they become bottlenecked by their ability to only put out a limited amount of EUs per tick. New EUs can only enter the transformer as spaces are made for them, so the flow drops almost instantly (after the very first tick) to 2048 EU/tick, not 2400 Eu/tick

And yes, transformers DO have a maximum output. I am very confident of this, after my hours spent testing stuff for electric fence traps.

No! Voltage is not the same as current.

Any device can accept infinite EU/t. They cannot, however, accept any voltage. HV is 2048 pEU, but can be stepped down with transformers to 32 pEU. But there will still be 2400 EU/t traveling through the wire.

Also, if you stepped it down to LV, you would not have 2400 eu/t passing through. You would have either 32 EU/tick, or maybe 128 EU/tick, I don't remember. But the LV transformer has a max ceiling of one of those two. If you want 32 size packets and 2400 EU/t, youd need dozens or whatever of LV transformers.