Sorting machine problems

Hi Folks,

I've got an odd problem. I'm running 2.1.1 server.

The sorting machine is set to mode 5, to assign a colour to an item that is not matched.

In fact, that is working. Whether an item is assigned its colour by the not-matched or the matched, the same thing happens ...

The pipe is about 20 long. There are various spurs down from it. It terminates in a chest which is at the back of another sorter.

The colour sequence of the drop pipes is ... green, red, orange, blue, yellow, cyan, lime ... then the chest.

If the item comes out marked cyan, then it goes down the cyan pipe, no problem.

If the item comes out lime, then it misses the lime drop pipe and continues on to the chest.

I've already tried changing the colours around and that makes no difference. I've also tried increasing the distance from the lime drop pipe and the receiving chest, and that makes no difference either.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Many thanks,

Michelle.

OK - I'll do a video - it does look like it is an issue with the colour at the end of the pipe. It'll be tomorrow when I do it, as it is gone 1am here now!

I'm having another problem with it, though. Now, the sorter isn't picking up items from the chest. Just stopped. Can't think of why it stopped working.

Will take another look when I'm fresh and record a video tomorrow ... or later today!

Prolly jammed. If it picks something up and there is nowhere to send it, it holds in the internal buffer until there is a valid destination and stops picking up items. I had a heck of a time getting my sorting machine set up, it doesnt seem very intuitive nor work precisely the way described, at least not the way I understand it. Good luck.

I think I've learned a lesson here - switch the sorter off while programming it, or it risks jamming. - which is perfectly reasonable.

However, the sorter has a history of working for a while and then jamming, so I'll keep the video around.

There is still the issue of the pipe sorting, so what I'll do is this...

*) Keep running the system for a while and, if it jams again while I'm not adjusting it, then I'll post the video.

*) If it keeps running fine, I'll re-create the sorting pipe issue in creative and make a new video on that.

I should have more of a clue in about 24 hours testing.

It seems that if the chest on the end of the pipe is full, then that also jams the sorting machine.

Anyone know how to get around this please?

Stick a gem of eternal density in it :P

Make it an alchemical chest so it has more storage in it.

Sort fewer things into that chest.

Stick another chest on the end of the line that has unpainted pipe going into it, like a catch-all for items you are not sorting, or items whose sorting chest is full.

Make that chest an alchemical chest. Stick a gem of eternal density in it ;D

Use a filter to suck items from chests prone to over-fill into an adjacent chest with the same items, It will stop sucking items when the backup chest is full, effectively doubling your storage of that color.

Just a couple things I thought of. What are you getting so much of that you need to sort and keep more then a chest full?

Oh, in starting to do things, stuff like sand is used in electronics. I have a large mine and just need unattended operation while I keep the oil topped up. I'll go for the unpainted pipe solution I think .... however I'm fearful of the original issue that I started with, misfiling items! Also, cobblestone is used for bricks and also wafers.

Do you think a "jam colour" could be a useful suggestion?

Thanks !

I've got to the root of the other problem as well. Video filmed and will be uploaded and link supplied shortly. Basically, any "uncoloured" ejection pipe needs to be three long, otherwise blocks of the preceding pipe's colour, will miss their alloted pipe and go straight out the eject pipe.

Thanks !

I've got to the root of the other problem as well. Video filmed and will be uploaded and link supplied shortly. Basically, any "uncoloured" ejection pipe needs to be three long, otherwise blocks of the preceding pipe's colour, will miss their alloted pipe and go straight out the eject pipe.

Good to know, that could help fix the quirks in my own system. So basically I need to just leave more room for pipe and don't try to cram the whole system into the smallest space possible :P

All things being unequal, here's the video - http://youtu.be/WJYewPj2VVs

Incidentally, there are a number of basic tutorial/experience videos on my channel that might be of help to someone, particularly number 3 which is an hour long video showing how to get started in the game. Might be useful for newcomers asking the usual questions. There are some basic starters on wafers and bluetricity going up now; just designed to get people a foothold on the technology really.

I've read some posts about threads where people can ask for tutorials, but not really any where people can make their tutorials available. Having said that, mine are only very basic and probably not worth listing anywhere.

I'll likely do a summation of the basic starting technology and the sorting engine once YouTube removes the 15 minute limit on my account ... again!

After watching the video I can tell you I don’t have any of the issues that you have described/shown and the reason is because I don’t have open pipes in my system.

As I’m sure you’ve worked out the items will go to the closest open inventory in the system (unless it is blocked by a colour) and an open pipe is classed as valid route even for colour tagged items.

What you should do is (especially for cobble, dirt and other numerous items) is have a second inventory further away on the pipe network from the main chest. You could put a recycler or a lava pit which is coloured yellow (so only yellow tagged items will use it) and make it a physically longer journey than your yellow tagged chest. That way the recycler or lava pit will only be used if the chest is full.

So basically what I’m saying is remove all the open pipes from your network and give them a correct place to go.