How to make a server

M-C

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm stuck at step 6: making sure that the modified minecraft_server.jar file runs again. (I'm on Mac OSX 10.6.8) After opening the minecraft_server.jar and moving in all files inside of the "PLACE THESE FILES INSIDE minecraft_server.jar" folder, I ran the new .jar file and got the following error message in console:

/Users/Myname/Desktop/Voltz_Server_v1.0.1/start.command ; exit;

1:~ Myname$ /Users/Myname/Desktop/Voltz_Server_v1.0.1/start.command ; exit;

Invalid or corrupt jarfile minecraft_server.jar

logout

[Process completed]

As you probably can tell, I'll running the server through a start.command file, though I don't think the problem lies there. I've had trouble with minecraft_server.jar files on my mac before (it would crash when I tried to op myself and cheat on a Vechs map =P) but nothing like this

This is strange, did you put the contents of the 'PLACE THESE FILES INSIDE minecraft_server.jar' in the jar? Or the folder itself, you should try reinstalling it.

um im on a mac, and dont have winrar, and dont feel like paying for an application that does what winrar does. help?

Can't you download winrar for free?

worked like a champ! ty sir!!

No problem at all!

This is strange, did you put the contents of the 'PLACE THESE FILES INSIDE minecraft_server.jar' in the jar? Or the folder itself, you should try reinstalling it.

Yes, I'm placing the contents, not the folder itself, into the jar.

If you get the server files from http://calclavia.com/ you don't need to unzip the jar file.

Thanks. I'm trying it out so far and it has launched correctly once and generated a new world.

Also, I've noticed with other forge server installations that you use the forge universal download file, which is a .zip file, and change the ending to .jar. Then, opening forge.jar launch minecraft_server.jar on forge. I haven't yet tried this with Voltz, but it worked fine with the Divine RPG server I made.

Maybe they could modify the "PUT IN minecraft_server.jar" folder so that in the future, it will be named Voltz.jar and will launch the server...

Yes, I'm placing the contents, not the folder itself, into the jar.

Thanks. I'm trying it out so far and it has launched correctly once and generated a new world.

Also, I've noticed with other forge server installations that you use the forge universal download file, which is a .zip file, and change the ending to .jar. Then, opening forge.jar launch minecraft_server.jar on forge. I haven't yet tried this with Voltz, but it worked fine with the Divine RPG server I made.

Maybe they could modify the "PUT IN minecraft_server.jar" folder so that in the future, it will be named Voltz.jar and will launch the server...

The problem with that is that the 'put this in server.jar' file already has forge in it. So you'd be installing forge twice.

Have you thought about common fix number two?

yes i made sure i put the contents of the folder directly into the minecraft jar. And i checked and made sure the configs and mods are there. Now whenever i try to use NEI to spawn the items it says No such item with ID#472 or whatever. That seems like a jar problem but i checked and all the class files are there and everything

Hello M-C,

thanks for your tutorial.

I'm currently working on a German community for Voltz (http://voltzpack.de).

I also want to create a German wiki. Would you mind me translating your post and putting it on the wiki (of course with attribution?)? :)

Thanks,

Benni

No problem, it's okay! By the way, you shouldn't sign your post, it's against the forum rules

yes i made sure i put the contents of the folder directly into the minecraft jar. And i checked and made sure the configs and mods are there. Now whenever i try to use NEI to spawn the items it says No such item with ID#472 or whatever. That seems like a jar problem but i checked and all the class files are there and everything

Hm.. I don't know anymore mate. It all seems to be due to an installation problem, and I've tried to help, but really don't know anymore.. My last tip would be to reinstall everything..

No problem, it's okay! By the way, you shouldn't sign your post, it's against the forum rules

Hm.. I don't know anymore mate. It all seems to be due to an installation problem, and I've tried to help, but really don't know anymore.. My last tip would be to reinstall everything..

ok i'll do that and see how it works

Do you have to use Hamachi to have people join your server?

No you don't.

Thanks this was the best page of help for this i have seen and i checked the whole web. :D

Wow, awesome! Sure makes me feel good :)!

One more question this doesn't have to do with making a server but i was wondering how you add plugins to the voltzs server, because when you run the server there is no plugins folder that is made. Did i do something wrong or is there something like bukkit craft that i need to download?

One more question this doesn't have to do with making a server but i was wondering how you add plugins to the voltzs server, because when you run the server there is no plugins folder that is made. Did i do something wrong or is there something like bukkit craft that i need to download?

If I'm right forge doesn't support bukkit anymore, but I'm never right am I...

And that reminds me how do you make a voltz server higher then 1.0.1?

Just the same way should work..

• 2 weeks later...

So here's my issue-

I run a vanilla minecraft server through a linux server, and I am attempting to install Voltz on to it using FTP. I have been searching for a good set of instructions for awhile, and i havent been able to find a set that applies to Linux well. I attempted to translate M-C's instructions into my case, and ran into a few issues.

1- This PUT_THESE_FILES_INTO_MINECRAFT.JAR folder is not present, yet all of the files people say are in there (config, coremods, mods) ARE there.

2- The Windows Batch File- obviously, it cant run on linux, so has anyone done any coding to recreate the batch file on java?

If anyone has set up a server in Linux, can offer any advice, or point me in the correct direction, that would be helpfull and greatly appreciated.

So here's my issue-

I run a vanilla minecraft server through a linux server, and I am attempting to install Voltz on to it using FTP. I have been searching for a good set of instructions for awhile, and i havent been able to find a set that applies to Linux well. I attempted to translate M-C's instructions into my case, and ran into a few issues.

1- This PUT_THESE_FILES_INTO_MINECRAFT.JAR folder is not present, yet all of the files people say are in there (config, coremods, mods) ARE there.

2- The Windows Batch File- obviously, it cant run on linux, so has anyone done any coding to recreate the batch file on java?

If anyone has set up a server in Linux, can offer any advice, or point me in the correct direction, that would be helpfull and greatly appreciated.

Sadly I don't use linux... I hope someone else is able to help you... Have you downloaded the server files?