Proposed solution: Ad.fly problem

inktaylor

Question

The Problem: Mod authors don't get the use of their ad.fly links from packaged technicpack downloads.

Solution: Change our launcher download link to be a randomly generated ad.fly link provided from each of the participating mod authors that points to our launcher download page.

Example of implementation borrowed from the first choice on Google: http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/cut1.shtml

This would give a random mod author from our pack the ad.fly revenue every time someone downloads the technic launcher.

More stipulations:

We could also provide a second page with all of the provided ad.fly links and who they support if someone wants to choose who to support(or not to support) when downloading the launcher.

19 answers to this question

I know that, and people can still do that out of pocket if they want. But clearly some mod authors are still disgruntled. Example: our github repo got taken down witha DCMA request from one. So why not ensure a random author whose work is included in our pack gets a few pennies each time technic is downloaded? We still get the launcher download, they get their pennies.

I know that, and people can still do that out of pocket if they want. But clearly some mod authors are still disgruntled after seeing our github repo taken down. So why not ensure each author gets a few pennies each time technic is downloaded? We still get the launcher download, they get their pennies.

Logical train of thought:

1) Mod authors do something dumb. 2) Mod authors don't like us because we don't do their dumb thing. 3) We want mod authors to like us. 4) Do the same dumb thing the mod autho.....*crash of train into football stadium*

I know that, and people can still do that out of pocket if they want. But clearly some mod authors are still disgruntled. Example: our github repo got taken down witha DCMA request from one. So why not ensure a random author whose work is included in our pack gets a few pennies each time technic is downloaded? We still get the launcher download, they get their pennies.

Because this feeds the beast. Adf.ly is a cancer. It made mod authors pissy at each other, got them jealous of download stats, and makes them pull unwarranted DMCA shit without legal basis (EDIT this was a bukkit port dev who didn't know the whole story. Boo on me for not having my facts straight). Without profit involved and with only a donate button on the mod author's site, this could all have been avoided. Or at least alleviated.

In short, adf.ly is the problem, and not anything close to the solution.

Hell, if it's possible to avoid ad.fly when manually installing, I do it.

Redpower for example, it's trivial to type the download path for the old versions in and just change the version number to the relevant one, I wouldn't do that if Eloraam would just provide a single download for all packages, but I'm not going to sit through adfly 7 times just to download a mod.

I don't disagree that ad.fly has created a problem either, however, if a mod author demands that their mod be removed from our pack they do have the legal right to do so. What I'm trying to propose is a compromise that makes them happy so that we can keep the mods legally.

And let me reiterate, the ad.fly link would point to OUR launcher page, not their mod download. It would just be provided by each of the mod authors so they get the pennies.

I don't disagree that ad.fly has created a problem either, however, if a mod author demands that their mod be removed from our pack they do have the legal right to do so. What I'm trying to propose is a compromise that makes them happy so that we can keep the mods legally.

No, they don't have that right. They have exactly diddly when it comes to rights. The Mojang/Minecraft ToS stately explicitly that it is against the ToS to modify the base .class files. Technic pack, since it makes no money, credits the mod authors, and provides their donate links, may even come under fair use. They have no legal case, and have only a petty shit-slinging fight to credit them.

Like I said, Adf.ly is a cancer on the modding community.

Ok, hadn't really read the official Minecraft part, thanks.

Still doesn't hurt to compensate mod authors though if they've put the time into it and we are enjoying the benefits. I mean, ad.fly is a free way to throw some pennies at them. It could even be an optional random link then.

Link 1 - download directly

Link 2 - Throw some pennies at random author

If you hate ad.fly don't click it. I'm just trying to appease here

Still doesn't hurt to compensate mod authors though if they've put the time into it and we are enjoying the benefits. I mean, ad.fly is a free way to throw some pennies at them. It could even be an optional random link then.

Yes, but we (and Kaker) are not trying to appease. Technic is a no-nonsense functional pack, not a pandering "please love us" program. There is a donation page going to the authors, and Kaker is paying for FUCKING TERABYTES (that's terabytes, as in, you know the biggest hard drives currently available for purchase anywhere? Two of those every three days, dumped straight onto the internet.) So honestly, the mod authors can piss off. If they used adsense, sure, great, but not flippin' adf.ly.

They ARE compensated. Kaker has personally donated more money to the modders than they would EVER make through adf.ly. Try to remember, it's something like 5$ for 10,000 clicks. That is jack shit.

Yes, but we (and Kaker) are not trying to appease. Technic is a no-nonsense functional pack, not a pandering "please love us" program. There is a donation page going to the authors, and Kaker is paying for FUCKING TERABYTES (that's terabytes, as in, you know the biggest hard drives currently available for purchase anywhere? Two of those every three days, dumped straight onto the internet.) So honestly, the mod authors can piss off. If they used adsense, sure, great, but not flippin' adf.ly.

This is exactly what the problem is. The mod authors are too concerned about pennies and e-peen to realize what Technic does for the modding community (makes it accessible to "noobs," thus encouraging them to manually mod stuff and download from the mod authors) in general.

They ARE compensated. Kaker has personally donated more money to the modders than they would EVER make through adf.ly. Try to remember, it's something like 5$ for 10,000 clicks. That is jack shit.

IIRC, someone (Sengir, maybe?) actually REFUSED to take a donation because it was from Kaker or Technic. What asshats.

IIRC, someone (Sengir, maybe?) actually REFUSED to take a donation because it was from Kaker or Technic. What asshats.

It doens't make him an asshole; It just makes him really stupid. Or maybe 'foolish' is better than 'stupid' in this case.

Ok, if that's the position we want to take that's fine. I completely agree, I think doing DCMA over ad.fly links is beyond silly. I just would hate to see a war between the authors and the community since that could easily result in a mod author to stop development of the mod as a result... And I do enjoy the mods technic has packaged together.

It doens't make him an asshole; It just makes him really stupid. Or maybe 'foolish' is better than 'stupid' in this case.

While I agree that it is foolish, I also stand by "asshat" because it takes a certain special kind of person to throw a fit about money and then refuse a donation from someone who loves their work, and then keep throwing the fit about that same person.

Ok, if that's the position we want to take that's fine. I completely agree, I think doing DCMA over ad.fly links is beyond silly. I just would hate to see a war between the authors and the community since that could easily result in a mod author to stop development of the mod as a result... And I do enjoy the mods technic has packaged together.

Don't worry, someone will always be there to pick up development of a beloved mod. Mods as big as Buildcraft and Redpower and the like are very unlikely to be dropped. Remember what happened with Power Converters? TehKashmir picked that right up.

As a second suggestion, we should really add a failover in the launcher code...

what launcher seems to do right now:

Start launcher

check github for stuff

cry in corner if can't get to github

what it probably should do:

what launcher seems to do right now:

Start launcher

check github for stuff

say hey somethings wrong, wanna continue anyway?

The great thing about modding based on decompiling a program in Java is you can just decompile the mods too. If giant-loved-by-everyone-modpack-X were to be abandoned in a fit of pique, there's literally nothing to be done except decompile it, try to recompile it, and start tweaking the code to overcome the little glitches that result from slightly-imperfect decompilation. From there, any person is free to use this newly-generated source code to carry on.

One day, Flowerchild will piss of the wrong person, and that is exactly what is going to happen to -his- beloved BTW. So we shall see.

The DMCA thing had nothing to do with the modders and no longer effects us. Someone (we have a feeling it's the bukkit port person) acted against us without understanding how we operate and ended up posting a fraudulent DMCA takedown. We're already looking at our options and if we want to peruse the matter at all. Stop acting like you know whats going on, and no, we don't give a shit about adf.ly. Adf.ly being awful is half the reason Technic exists. The modders make more though donations from the donation page then they did with Adf.ly anyway.

There is already a solution to this "problem". Go donate to all the modders using the donation page! If you mention technic it may or may not help, but it doesn't matter. As long as the modders are rewarded for their work.

• Forum Administrators

:w00t: DMCA :w00t:

We have a very good idea on who 'filed' the complaint, and the person that did it has very little idea on what they are actually claiming, and the potential, real life consequences they have invited onto themselves.

As for adf.ly, fuck no.

There are ways to make money on the internet, adf.ly is not one of them.

We are never going to allow, support, coddle, authorize or do anything positive for adf.ly.