Is it possible to add JVM arguments to the launcher?

theprolo

I've been crashing a lot on a custom modpack, and I've found the problem. According to a solution here, I need to change the MaxPermSize. Unfortunately, that solution is for MultiMC, so I have no idea where to look for the "JVM Arguments" option. If there's a better solution, I'd happily use it.

For anyone interested, the error is "[iNFO] [sTDERR] Exception in thread "Client read thread" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space".

(I'm not using the bug boards because it's not really a bug, just me asking how to implement a fix. That, and since it's a custom modpack, there would be nowhere to put it)

My Java version is 7u11, the modpack is Andrews (Technic Battles Redux server modpack), and I don't get error messages, just Minecraft freezing and closing. I had to go into the log to find it that. I'd post the entire log, but I can't get on my computer at the moment. I just picked out the only error message I could find, which happened to be the last line.

My Java version is 7u11, the modpack is Andrews (Technic Battles Redux server modpack), and I don't get error messages, just Minecraft freezing and closing. I had to go into the log to find it that. I'd post the entire log, but I can't get on my computer at the moment. I just picked out the only error message I could find, which happened to be the last line.

Happened to me too. The fix, when implemented into MultiMC, works.

I'm pretty sure it's not that technical yet, although I suspect that Ars Magica may be the cause. The stuff it does might be less visible, and in my personal modpack which has no Ars Magica, I have never experienced this.

I'm pretty sure it's not that technical yet, although I suspect that Ars Magica may be the cause. The stuff it does might be less visible, and in my personal modpack which has no Ars Magica, I have never experienced this.

Yea. Ars magica is causing issues everywhere.. I really don't want to remove it, though.

It's a nice mod. It's also pretty unstable. Perhaps it would be worth removing it until the stability issues are resolved. I think most of the server would agree it's me when I say I'd rather be able to play without crashing every five minutes than have Ars Magica, awesome as it is. Perhaps you should just call a vote with a poll on the TBR forums.

It's a nice mod. It's also pretty unstable. Perhaps it would be worth removing it until the stability issues are resolved. I think most of the server would agree it's me when I say I'd rather be able to play without crashing every five minutes than have Ars Magica, awesome as it is. Perhaps you should just call a vote with a poll on the TBR forums.

But.. But.. My SSP world. :c

It's the only thing I can think of which could be causing it.

Is there a way to set the default Java PermGenSpace?

i have not looked, but i do know if you used a bat file before to preset variables, the launcher relanches java anyway. Perhaps manually editing the options.txt of the launcher might let you add a line item for java in there if there is an argument string for setting it.

If it's Ars Magica that causes it, I'd say getting rid of it is the better option than increasing the PermGen. PermGen is the part of the heap dedicated to the "permanent generation", objects that will never be garbage collected. These are things like user classes. It's set to 64MB by default. and this is fine for the most part. You usually see it cropping up in projects with massive codebases. Basically, if you search for that error, most of the hits are regarding tomcat or something similar. That's because Tomcat has 4,874,929 lines of code, at last count. Now, assuming that the mod isn't that big, the other option is a memory leak. Yes, in java. It is possible to keep static references to objects that get garbage collected. The static reference stays around, taking up PermGen space, and more keep accumulating. If that's the case here, doubling the PermGen space might help for a while, but it might still fill up eventually.