i have no clue how to do the custom modpack stuff

PieSappinMyCake

So, i know now, you can do custom modpacks. So i want to use other peoples modpacks they have put in the modpack section, but i have no idea how to do so. The whole thing is convoluted (imo) and there is little to no instructions on how to do so. I am sorry of i look like a retard, but i just don't have the information or direction to know how to do it.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Yeah they don't really explain anywhere (at-least when i looked for instructions) how to use the modpacks or install them or what ever, i mean it says, "ad custom zip" url thing but i don't get it, alot of the packs don't even have download links.

I agree on this not being an obvious install...like I cant find instructions until I happened to do a search and found this link. Maybe some sticky instructions or a line in the FAQ would be grand.

Are you referring to the posts and news articles and announcements that have been plastered all over the site for the last month or better? The ones that all say there's a new, next-generation launcher?

To be fair, the modpack system isnt perfect. It would be very helpfull to get more support. I have re-named everything the modpack.jar the mods the config. Everything is in there. Forge and all the other mods and all it does is load vanilla minecraft, but downloads all the mods. It makes literaly no sense.

I did certainly rename it to modpack.jar as thats where you are meant to put all your minecraft.jar mods to stop copyright infringement. Anyone who needs help I would say follow these simple steps to.

1: Find permissions for the mods (Not required, but you may get into legal trouble).

2: upload them as any normal forge server would. In a mods coremods and configs folder.

3: Make a modpack.jar this is basicly, for example if you use winrar a .zip file renamed to .jar. They explain all of this in the news colum on the site.

4: Launch it.

p.s. To host the files, i used mediafire. Just click open in new tab on the link as most of them do and quickly copy the url.

You will never get into legal trouble if you make a modpack without permission for the mods. Don't worry. :)

Sometimes i get really annoyed with these comments. Yes you most likely wont get into trouble, but i have been in trouble with this before and had to acctualy restart my own modpack as many of the community told me to. GET permisions! It is very likely they wont find you and stalk you to give them permission to use there mods however it is illegal, no offense but look what happend to forestry and tekkit. Point proven.

Let me just break that whole post down for you.

Sometimes i get really annoyed with these comments. Yes you most likely wont get into trouble, but i have been in trouble with this before and had to acctualy restart my own modpack as he told several other developers.

So you, a user, had to remake your modpack after (I'm assuming here, as you don't give an explanation for this.) developers hounded you for not getting permission? Do you not see anything wrong with this at all? Who is this mysterious 'he'? Nobody can make you take down your modpack and restart it except for you. You don't need to listen to the dev's every whim and follow them to the button.

You don't have to take down your modpack because mod developers got mad at you.

GET permisions!

Once more, you don't actually have to get permissions. There is nothing the mod dev's can do about it other than whine.

...use there mods however it is illegal, no offense but look what happend to forestry and tekkit. Point proven.

It is not illegal to use mods without permission. This has been proven again and again, and the whole argument has been done to death. If you still think that it's illegal, I'm not going to try and force you to change your opinion, I'm just going to think that you're an idiot.

What happened between Forestry and Technic was that Sengir acted like a spoiled child, never once speaking to the Technic team. Again, this whole thing has been beaten to death, and the facts are out there. Whether or not you choose to find them is your own doing.

Do you not see anything wrong with this at all? Who is this mysterious 'he'? Nobody can make you take down your modpack and restart it except for you. You don't need to listen to the dev's every whim and follow them to the button.

It's a horrible thing to do that after someone has told you not to use it, sure they can't do much but i stopped it after ichun as you seem to think im somehow lying said I couldnt use his portalgun mod, and I went against that behind his will. I did get one thing wrong though, Ashley (ayost013) and many of the others simply wouldnt play if it was against there wishes and that lost a lot of my players.

If you still think that it's illegal, I'm not going to try and force you to change your opinion, I'm just going to think that you're an idiot.

Im no idiot, to be fair no I didn't know this. However I do beg to differ why infrining there copyright laws is not illegal.

What happened between Forestry and Technic was that Sengir acted like a spoiled child, never once speaking to the Technic team. Again, this whole thing has been beaten to death, and the facts are out there. Whether or not you choose to find them is your own doing.

Again, im going to have to say this numerous times. He may have acted like a spoilt child but it was not without reason. If you can acctualy find if they got permissions for tekkit, for any of the mods I may take that back.

...but i stopped it after ichun as you seem to think im somehow lying

I never said you were lying, you just never pointed out who 'he' was until now.

I did get one thing wrong though, Ashley (ayost013) and many of the others simply wouldnt play if it was against there wishes and that lost a lot of my players.

I'm sure a whole lot of other players would play it over here.

Im no idiot, to be fair no I didn't know this. However I do beg to differ why infrining there copyright laws is not illegal.

Maybe because they don't have copyrights on their mods, and their licenses don't mean anything either.

All i have to say about the matter is... WHO CARES what the mod makers say, people are playing the mods, isn't that why they made them? to make a fun mod to play?? or did they just make them to whore off money?

Nobody really cares, it's just a bunch of internet whiteknighting.

As for the other bit, yes, most mod makers make their mods to let users have fun. Some though, have other motives, especially if they try to restrict your use of said fun, e.g., permissions.