Quarry in the Nether

jdk201

How can i run a quarry in the nether and keep the lava down? Do i have to use oil source blocks all the way around? I would just use a mining turtle but looks like the latest update broke it. I need the quartz for AE.

I need the quartz for AE

Wait... vanilla nether quartz -which was introduced in 1.5- is not the same as AE's Certus Quartz. I think it was renamed to Certus to avoid confusion.

Having said that, one way to power a BC Quarry in the nether is by using a TE Magmatic Engine which you can feed with lava.

Hope that helps.

To make the AE stuff you need both certus and nether quartz. Power is not the issue, its the lava taking over the hole. I get power through an energy tesseract. The quarry wont drill through lava.

Oh, I see what you mean now. That happened to me the last 3 times I tried to set a quarry in the nether. I would leave the quarry working and upon returning I'd see the main tool retracted after a few layers and a pool of lava.

My solutions are:

• Babysit the operation and cover any lava source found
  • Accept my destiny and relocate the quarry hopping that the next location is going to be lava-free

You have another option, and that's pouring oil on the top layer of the hole. You don't need 81 oil buckets for a 9x9 quarry, you just need to make sure the whole quarry area is covered with oil, whether it be flowing or not.

Does Ice still work in the Nether? One of the Thermal Expansion machines, the Glacial Precipitator, will create Ice, snow and snowballs on demand for next to no cost IIRC.

Yeah, it still works.

You can do that as well. Just use an Aqueous Accumulator and Glacial Precipitator to create Ice at a minimal cost of energy.

If you place Ice in the Nether, and break it while a solid block is under it, it'll create a water source block. If you place the Ice diagonally in the Quarry hole, you'll need 9 Ice blocks for a 9x9 quarry.