Wiki help

weirleader

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hokay. Modular Powersuits is nearly complete, filled either with stubs or completed pages. Going to wrap up MPS Addons, then I might go crazy a little. Seems a good day for it.

[Edit: MPS Addons and Modular Powersuits is pretty much done, but extra information on them is always helpful. I also duped the MFR Blackstone page into a Whitestone page, but need images for pretty much everything. If no one gets to it by the time I get around to getting home, booting my Mac into Windows and capturing pics with Kobata's mod, I'll do it. I need to grab 128px images of everything in MPS Addons and Modular Powersuits anyway.

I don't suppose there is a way to mass import a bunch of files into the wiki? Uploading one at a time is tedious, I already have to rename the images to the correct format to get them to link to the proper items.

For that matter, is there any way to rename or delete a file you've uploaded? I've found slight typos in the file names and have had to upload a duplicate with the correct name, rather than fix the incorrect one on the wiki.]

• 2 weeks later...

After quite a hiatus, I finally knocked out a few things last night, but now I have a stylistic question for y'all...

Take a look at Balkon's Weapons Mod page and let me know if you think it'd be better as a bunch of separate pages with the BWP template below for quick linking. Since it's a rather compact mod, I thought it'd be nice to have it all in one place, but it definitely ended up bigger than I expected.

I think separate pages for each block and item is the way to go, no matter how big or small the mod is. That way, it's easier to search for and find stuff.

well, in that case, what do you think of Backpacks? I thought it did well as mostly-one-page, but... ?

My only suggestion would be be to collapse/hide the tables by default, that should help cut down on the size of the page. I agree, there isn't a lot of depth to this mod so individual pages for each weapon doesn't make a lot of sense.

Have you been able to figure out how to make recipes that display alternate items, such as wood, stone, iron, gold, diamond for the weapons? Minecraftwiki uses Media Wiki as well, and I tried copying the code there but it doesn't seem to work on this installation.

[Edit: I edited the melee weapons section so you'd have an example, make sure you place a table header by specifying !Table Title after the class="collapsible wikitable collapsed" line.]

saw what you did -- but after working at a template for the bottom navigation, I admit there's a lot of detail there after all. So I'm going to try to make the transition over to several pages. Each one by itself is small, but when you lump them together it is feeling cluttered.

Whoa, how did you do this?

(Move log); 09:48 . . Weirleader (Talk | contribs) moved page Balkons Weapon Mod to Balkon's WeaponMod ‎(following naming conventions as seen on MCF (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/211517-152forge-balkons-weaponmod-v112-now-with-katanas/))

Moving and deleting content is beyond me, do you need to have updated permissions or something?

Moving and deleting content is beyond me, do you need to have updated permissions or something?

LOL. I wish I could take credit for awesomeness, but it's a feature I stumbled across at some point. Near the top, just to the right of "View Edit History" you'll see a little down-arrow and one of the dropdown options is MOVE. The cool thing about move is that it will rename the page appropriately AND set up redirect from the previous location so all links will remain intact. Any more powerful editing (like renaming image files instead of having to upload them again) is still beyond me.

It's about time I dropped in on this thread...

Content can only be deleted by admins. However, as weirleader said, the 'move' function is available to logged-in users, via the 'down-arrow' menu in the top right.

If you are moving a page, only leave a redirect if it is really, really needed. It's much better to re-edit pages to correct the broken links. I know it can be a pain, but it will keep the wiki a lot cleaner and prevent problems down the line.

Content can only be deleted by admins. However, as weirleader said, the 'move' function is available to logged-in users, via the 'down-arrow' menu in the top right.

If you are moving a page, only leave a redirect if it is really, really needed. It's much better to re-edit pages to correct the broken links. I know it can be a pain, but it will keep the wiki a lot cleaner and prevent problems down the line.

Gotcha -- will try to go back and double-check for any link fixes.

Hey Watson! I've seen you in the 'recent changes' page of the Wiki, doing stuff like deleting misnamed content and blocking assholes from defacing the wiki. Is it safe to say you are the official head honcho go to guy for all things Wiki? Weir and I have been churning out content, but sort of ad hoc without any direction. If we need some backend changes done, like installing or modifying stuff that only admins can access, should we reach out to you?

[Edit: Oh, also, regarding renaming without leaving a redirect… it seems to me the best way to do this is to use the "What links here" link from the toolbox, adjust all of the pages that point to that page, then move the main page. That about right?]

Hey Watson! I've seen you in the 'recent changes' page of the Wiki, doing stuff like deleting misnamed content and blocking assholes from defacing the wiki. Is it safe to say you are the official head honcho go to guy for all things Wiki? Weir and I have been churning out content, but sort of ad hoc without any direction. If we need some backend changes done, like installing or modifying stuff that only admins can access, should we reach out to you?

[Edit: Oh, also, regarding renaming without leaving a redirect… it seems to me the best way to do this is to use the "What links here" link from the toolbox, adjust all of the pages that point to that page, then move the main page. That about right?]

'head honcho go to guy' might be going a bit far :P, but please feel free to ask any questions you've got!

Also, the "What links here" page is indeed the best way to check what links point to a page.

'head honcho go to guy' might be going a bit far :P, but please feel free to ask any questions you've got!

Well, I had asked sct this question but hadn't heard back; perhaps you might be able to help:

any chance you could give me pointers/direction to create some additional templates (e.g., the induction smelter)? I can see the existing code for the furnace and crafting table grid, but it's just enough outside my understanding that I can't figure it out without a lot of trial and error (which I don't want to do on the wiki, cluttering up some page with a million revisions).

I've googled every keyword combination I can think of and find lots of links to instructions for *using* templates but no instructions for *creating* templates (correction: Dash16 pointed me toward the wikimedia.org help which is teasing me and almost has me thinking I can do this). But if you happened to have some way of simplifying this I certainly wouldn't turn you down. :-)

Well, I had asked sct this question but hadn't heard back; perhaps you might be able to help:

any chance you could give me pointers/direction to create some additional templates (e.g., the induction smelter)? I can see the existing code for the furnace and crafting table grid, but it's just enough outside my understanding that I can't figure it out without a lot of trial and error (which I don't want to do on the wiki, cluttering up some page with a million revisions).

I've googled every keyword combination I can think of and find lots of links to instructions for *using* templates but no instructions for *creating* templates (correction: Dash16 pointed me toward the wikimedia.org help which is teasing me and almost has me thinking I can do this). But if you happened to have some way of simplifying this I certainly wouldn't turn you down. :-)

Sorry for not getting back sooner (I was busy over the weekend).

Anyway, the recipe templates are simple and complicated at the same time. We actually have two crafting table templates; one looks nice but doesn't allow animation of the images and the other is not as nice looking but could be made to support animation, if it doesn't already.

I could make a tutorial on how to make new templates but I'm hesitant, due to the fact that I'm not sure which template base we should be using. If you can manage to hold on for a little bit longer, I'll see if I can raise sct on this.

I've been taking a break on Tekkit Wiki stuff waiting for 1.1.5 to get promoted to Recommended, and have been working on the Hexxit Wiki. Today I found an alternate (unofficial?) wiki:

http://hexxit.wikia.com

I gotta say, it's a little disheartening to see so much work done by so many people, developing a parallel wiki. I'd much rather combine efforts, and get all the information into one, authoritative place. Thoughts?

[Edit: I'm not a fan of Wikia's layout and comment system personally, and from what I gather it seems the Technic Devs are using the Media Wiki we've been contributing to as the official source of information. Seems to me like it makes more sense to recruit those working on this unofficial wiki, rather than abandon efforts here.]

Ahh, it was only a matter of time.

Unfortunately we can't stop people from creating wikis. Yes, it would be super if everyone contributed to the same one but this is the internet and ideals are a rare thing. That said, I see no reason why they could not be approached.

Wikia is actually a very good platform for independent wikis but the price you pay is lack of control on things such as ads. But the key thing to remember is that it's all running on Media Wiki, as it is 'the' wiki software. Wikia just adds a shell that makes it possible to build communities on any given subject very quickly, obviously the Technic community is already established, so doesn't need any help with that.

I may just make contact with the founder and see what he/she has to say.