Moving on from IC2

Wesley Foxx

Hopefully everyone by now has come to terms with the fact that IC2 isn't updating anymore and will no longer be in the packs. Theoretically, however, everything you could do with the pack can also be done with the other mods still in Big Dig, mostly Thermal Expansion.

Having been very reliant on IC2, however, I still have to ask. Are there any decent substitutes for the induction furnace, aka, furnaces that are A. actually efficient/don't require special fuels and B. don't take forever to smelt stuff? Or at least some substitutes for the iron furnaces, eg, better than 8:1 coal efficiency

Also, is there any way to store MJ besides Redstone Energy Cells, ideally something with a much larger storage volume? Because I can produce significantly more than 600MJ with just a couple buckets of fuel and a combustion engine.

You could just make a small bank of powered furnaces, with TE getting things done faster usually just means more machines to do more at once, you could use iron and wooden pipes to then redirect whatever's smelted into a storage system.

The induction smelter is faster, if you pulverize into dust first, than a furnace, but i dont think anything is as fast as the upgraded IC2 stuff.

Are you running more than one quarry? Ive only run a quarry up to like 50 mj/t, but a few pulverizers and 1 induction smelter easily handled allt he ore coming in. Has anyone ever figured out how much efficiencey the quarry loses after 25mj? Maybe at 100 you might need a couple smelters, but its not like you would need a ton of them.

The smelter btw, needs sand to make ingots, so i had one pulverizer making sand from cobble, and two pulverizers feeding the smelter with ore. That handled a quarry at 25 mj or so very easily.

One bucket of fuel is 600000 MJ. Before my world got deleted, i had redstone conduits and a bank of redstone cells. Run multiple engines of your choice along the conduit, and then line up redstone cells. Then run another conduit line on the other side of the cells, for the outbound power, into a tesseract or wahtever.

So basically the solution is... build more of the things you need, since you cant upgrade like in IC2.

or if you really need something similar to the induction furnace that bad, you can get a public beta (but hard to find) version of ic2 for 1.5.2, and then you can manually add it, just be sure to make a backup or something if you do, link: http://ic2api.player.to:8080/job/IC2_lf/ note that it IS a beta, so there is a big chance for there to be bugs

Or be smart and ignore IC2 instead of continuing to rely on a dead mod.

I'm not even running a quarry, this is big dig. There's more ore than I could ever use just lying exposed on the walls. Just mining out the visible stuff in the chasm under my house, I have an entire stack and a half of iron blocks. Plus, quarries don't give you the perks of a Fortune III pickaxe. The new enchant mod is kind of absurdly overpowered like that, ontop of literally being able to just GROW raw experience.

As someone mentioned to me in another thread, try the Mekanism items. They are a good replacement for the IC2 stuff. I believe I was powering them with normal redstone engines on my test world. They also have speed upgrade options so are just as quick as the IC2 stuff. I also found them better because they stack back logs up instead of overflowing which would happen on my IC2 setup.

I'm not even running a quarry, this is big dig. There's more ore than I could ever use just lying exposed on the walls. Just mining out the visible stuff in the chasm under my house, I have an entire stack and a half of iron blocks. Plus, quarries don't give you the perks of a Fortune III pickaxe. The new enchant mod is kind of absurdly overpowered like that, ontop of literally being able to just GROW raw experience.

This is why I like IC2. Im running a 64 x 64 quarry every couple days after starting a new world, and making an HV solar every day or two. I have 45,000 rubber stored up and just recycled about 10K nikolite.

I guess some people like to just mine by hand and run a furnace, my friends and I like making factories and big builds. A guy on my server just set up like 15 blast furnaces and a huge steam boiler. Im planning on making a huge 10 x 10 crafting CPU for applied energistics, etc.

admittedly quarries are kind of overkll on big dig unless you are makng HV solars, which is why i thought IC2 was kind of good with big dig.

This is why I like IC2. Im running a 64 x 64 quarry every couple days after starting a new world, and making an HV solar every day or two. I have 45,000 rubber stored up and just recycled about 10K nikolite.

I guess some people like to just mine by hand and run a furnace, my friends and I like making factories and big builds. A guy on my server just set up like 15 blast furnaces and a huge steam boiler. Im planning on making a huge 10 x 10 crafting CPU for applied energistics, etc.

admittedly quarries are kind of overkll on big dig unless you are makng HV solars, which is why i thought IC2 was kind of good with big dig.

Except you could make a huge factory without using IC2 at all? What's your point?

Are there any buildcraft machines that I can use to charge my powersuit? Gradually building it up by running around with all three power producing mods (solar, kinetic and heat) is really slow. I saw a charger thing that I assume is Mekanism but that doesn't seem to play nice with my buildcraft setup.

Are there any buildcraft machines that I can use to charge my powersuit? Gradually building it up by running around with all three power producing mods (solar, kinetic and heat) is really slow. I saw a charger thing that I assume is Mekanism but that doesn't seem to play nice with my buildcraft setup.

Use the Energetic Infuser from Thermal Expansion.

http://wiki.technicpack.net/Energetic_Infuser

• 2 weeks later...

Because some morons are trying to maintain it despite the author seemingly disappearing without a word.

invalid, if that was the case, then ic2 would NOT be on the forgecraft server's currently, as they only accept the original creators versions of mods, otherwise, they'd have logistics pipes, but they'd rather wait for the original creators version of lp :/

so your point is invalid

by the fact that you dont have a server post, im guessing that its a private server? (good idea, ive tried technic/tekkit lite/big dig servers, and id log off for a little bit or go mining, come back, and my hosue would be completley gone, so there's basicly no way to people new on a normal non-whitelist server or non-private server to even get started without getting stolen from)

invalid, if that was the case, then ic2 would NOT be on the forgecraft server's currently, as they only accept the original creators versions of mods, otherwise, they'd have logistics pipes, but they'd rather wait for the original creators version of lp :/

so your point is invalid

Alblaka came back? You know, the original creator who disappeared months ago? No? He didn't come back? Then why are you talking when you don't know shit?

Do us a favor and shut it.

by the fact that you dont have a server post, im guessing that its a private server? (good idea, ive tried technic/tekkit lite/big dig servers, and id log off for a little bit or go mining, come back, and my hosue would be completley gone, so there's basicly no way to people new on a normal non-whitelist server or non-private server to even get started without getting stolen from)

yes private server.

Change is good, I'm loving the new ways to get power. Try it.

Not sure if you're using the recommended version of BigDig or not, but seeing as I am, the current alternatives to the induction furnace are the elite factory. It smelts 7 items at once, requires only MJ or Joules to run, and at max speed (with 8 speed upgrades (which are not expensive at all)), can run somewhere around 1 operation per second. So it's fairly efficient in terms of energy and space.

The alternative to REC is the Ultimate Energy Cube. While there is a power loss when converting back from Joules to MJ, the Elite Energy Cube holds (before accounting for the energy loss, which is about 5-6%) 128 mJ (mega Joules) - the current coversion of MJ to Joules is 1:10 - So it holds 12,800,000 MJ. While it does take some infrastructure to be able to create, the energy storage and flow is well worth it.

Here's a few pictures of the total storage of the UEC and how much power is left in the UEC after transferring it into the REC.

UEC Power left-overs: http://tinyurl.com/mohaj22

REC filled: http://tinyurl.com/kk77ynz

I like to run quarries and make factories & do that just as well if not better without IC2. I run an ME Storage system to hold all items in a compacted place (the server room). The two massive 64x64 quarries are run by two redstone energy cubes powered or recharged using 16 magmatic engines powered by lava from the nether (probably can do it a better way but its way I do it).

2 Elite factories running with the fastest speed upgrade, with 7 slots per factory for each item being made into ingots.

I'm glad IC2 has gone as it forced me to look at better mods and better ways of doing stuff.

But everyone likes different things.

Not sure if you're using the recommended version of BigDig or not, but seeing as I am, the current alternatives to the induction furnace are the elite factory. It smelts 7 items at once, requires only MJ or Joules to run, and at max speed (with 8 speed upgrades (which are not expensive at all)), can run somewhere around 1 operation per second. So it's fairly efficient in terms of energy and space.

The alternative to REC is the Ultimate Energy Cube. While there is a power loss when converting back from Joules to MJ, the Elite Energy Cube holds (before accounting for the energy loss, which is about 5-6%) 128 mJ (mega Joules) - the current coversion of MJ to Joules is 1:10 - So it holds 12,800,000 MJ. While it does take some infrastructure to be able to create, the energy storage and flow is well worth it.

Here's a few pictures of the total storage of the UEC and how much power is left in the UEC after transferring it into the REC.

UEC Power left-overs: http://tinyurl.com/mohaj22

REC filled: http://tinyurl.com/kk77ynz

Will definitely look into it. 1 cube can barely hold 1 fuel bucket's worth of energy output :T Its kind of absurdly insufficient, especially since I usually run at least 2 engines for my power and only just discovered in my latest map's setup that the engines don't have to cool down or build heat again if they stop due to lack of fuel, they'll just stay primed at 510c until you give them more so I'd prefer to avoid having to manually shut them off and turn them back on whenever my cube runs low.

Edit: slight annoyance with the UEC. 1. I have to dismantle and replace it on reloading the game because it bugs out and stops taking MJ, and 2. Because it loses energy on the conversion, I have to be very careful to avoid letting my red pipe power empty power back into it, otherwise it'll drain faster than 2 fuel-running engines can output into it running through the pipes in a feedback loop.