How do i become self sustaining? from the start...

Ok, i am starting on a brand new white-listed server and wondering what is the best way to get started.

I am new to the tekkit thing and have looked for wikis but the ones i hae seen are very bare. Alot of the information I would hpe to find is not really listed.

Is there a more robust wiki, or a manual for new players to Tekkit on where to start? I have played Minecraft but Would like to get into Tekkit.

What machines should be built first, second, and so on...

Thank you in advance.

Re: Ho do i become self sustaining? from the start...

Are you using all of Tekkit? Some servers may block things like Crafting Table 2 (duping exploits, understandable) and some ban certain items from EE2 (or ban the whole mod outright) and some place restrictions on other items. To advise you, we'd have to know if any of the mods are shut off.

Personally, I often tech IC2 and EE2 first although I will sometimes set up a forestry farm to increase EMC production (once I have the tablet) or to give me early game building materials and a bunch of free fuel.

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Tutorial:First_Steps

and

http://equivalentexchange.wikispaces.com/Getting+Started+in+v6

are always good starting guides and I'd check out some videos on other mods you're interested in trying out. There are a few good people on youtube that do mod spotlights on all the mods within tekkit individually and are good for everything from seeing one method some people tech to learning how to build a fully functional nuclear reactor (there's a forum dedicated just to that on IC2's forums).

If you have any other questions, post 'em.

@Demon, he's right, keep the SMP stuff in the SMP forum.

The first ting you must do: get a lot of resources!.

Not necessarily. Investing in EE with about 12 diamonds or so (along with a few other goodies you find along the way) eventually gives you free stacks of everything but Uranium with nothing else invested but sitting around. EE also makes finding those dozen diamonds a trivial exercise since you quickly gain the ability to spot them through 64 squares of rock.

Lacking EE, I often go for a Forestry production chain of Wheat Farm, Tree Farm and Peat Bog tied together with either buildcraft pipes or redpower tubes to a couple of carpenters, a pump and a moistener, with buildcraft being cheaper but less flexible. Automated production of wheat, wood, peat (which provides huge amounts of buildcraft power, same amount as a steam engine but a stack of peat burns for more than 4 hours of real time), send your extra saplings to a couple of fermenters and a still and you can run a combustion engine or two as well. It's self-sustaining and can be almost entirely automated with just pipes. I build peasant huts around the centers of my farms and such, run the pipes underground and place it all next to a castle.

A standard IC2 start works just as well since power converters are part of the mod. You can easily run your buildcraft stuff off of electric power and a starting nuclear plant is pretty cheap to make considering you can double your metal production with a macerator. 70 Copper, 40 Tin, 35 Bronze, 65 Iron or so (you only have to mine half that) along with a dozen each of lapis and glowstone and you've got a working nuclear plant once you build your basic machines. Such a starting plant can easily output 40 EU/t without building up heat so your only limitation is fuel and Uranium is pretty plentiful.

If EE2 is enabled, the EE2 wiki has a reasonable getting started guide, but I'd make a Destruction Catalyst early on, and it's worth building Macerator/Electro Furnace at first to double your ores.

I've wondered if a Forestry pumpkin farm is a worthwhile investment early on as they have a good EMC value, but you need to find pumpkin/melon seeds, so probably not.

If EE2 is enabled, the EE2 wiki has a reasonable getting started guide, but I'd make a Destruction Catalyst early on, and it's worth building Macerator/Electro Furnace at first to double your ores.

I've wondered if a Forestry pumpkin farm is a worthwhile investment early on as they have a good EMC value, but you need to find pumpkin/melon seeds, so probably not.

A pumpkin farm is a great point for very early-game EMC (on skyblock maps I've run a tree farm for a decent emc gain until my first flower was complete). Also, making a macerator asap (even before tech-ing EE2 is highly suggested for doubling your ore mining efforts (don't smelt a single piece of gold ever, macerate it). Also, if you don't have a macerator yet, smelt only the ores you need and not all of them until you get one. I often save all my ores then blow a diamond into iron ore as soon as I get a table and then make the macerator so I get max yield from my ores (if I don't have a macerator before my table is complete).

Also, once you're table is going, you don't have to waste fuel smelting dusts, just convert them straight into ore.

The best thing I can recommend is to get familiar with each individual mod and then work on leveraging their combined effort to tech faster. However, I must note that unless you know how to apply each mod for max gain (based on your goals), you won't get as far as you could (as quickly anyway).

As for the forum I was posting on...

"Sorry for posting it in the wrong area..."

with that said.

Thank you for moving me to the corrected area...

Even though I play on a SMP server, I was hoping this could be used in the SSP areas as well.

As for the forum I was posting on...

"Sorry for posting it in the wrong area..."

with that said.

Thank you for moving me to the corrected area...

Even though I play on a SMP server, I was hoping this could be used in the SSP areas as well.

SMP and SSP mods are fairly diffrent, but most of the mods in SMP are in SSP (thaumcraft isnt in multiplayer for example)