Computer building

Kocken926

So yes, there's other threads than this, but I didn't feel like hijacking or necroing, as this might get extensive.

So since I'll be moving in 1.5-2 years (depending on how long the military wanna keep me around), I'd like to try building my own computer some day. However, I have no experience with this.

If anyone could point me to a good website or book for learning to build, or a website to cheaply buy parts, or give some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

So yes, there's other threads than this, but I didn't feel like hijacking or necroing, as this might get extensive.

So since I'll be moving in 1.5-2 years (depending on how long the military wanna keep me around), I'd like to try building my own computer some day. However, I have no experience with this.

If anyone could point me to a good website or book for learning to build, or a website to cheaply buy parts, or give some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Building is the easiest part. It is mainly plugging stuff in.

As for parts for a build, what is your budget? http://Newegg.com typically has cheapest prices. If you want to go crazy, check Tiger Direct also, but normally price difference is within 1-10 dollars.

I don't know my budget yet, I still have some time to gather money (and lose it for that matter). School, car, apartment etc. has to be paid for first. Let's say around 500€.

Also, since I live in Finland, I prefer sites that actually lets me ship stuff here.

Can you reuse any components from existinc PC? E.g hard drives, PSU, monitor, case, ...

Also, did I understand correctly that you'll be moving to a new place in 1.5-2y and you want to get the PC after that has happened?

Can you reuse any components from existinc PC? E.g hard drives, PSU, monitor, case, ...

Also, did I understand correctly that you'll be moving to a new place in 1.5-2y and you want to get the PC after that has happened?

Can't really reuse anything, no. Yes, it'll probably have to be after moving, but I'd like to get informed on how to do these things.

Long story short, if a component needs force to be inserted in a slot/socket you are trying to insert it into wrong place, try again with a different one. Having at least half a brain it's impossible to do it wrong. If you buy parts they all have detailed installation manuals with them.

Also, it doesn't really make sense to come up with a setup if you aren't going to buy it for years. Come back when you actually are going to buy it and know how much money you have for it.

Long story short, if a component needs force to be inserted in a slot/socket you are trying to insert it into wrong place, try again with a different one. Having at least half a brain it's impossible to do it wrong. If you buy parts they all have detailed installation manuals with them.

Also, it doesn't really make sense to come up with a setup if you aren't going to buy it for years. Come back when you actually are going to buy it and know how much money you have for it.

Didn't ask for specifics, just places to get them from. Also, should I get one of them anti-static wraps?

Here is a site I like to use to price out builds. They've got a list of damn near every place that you can buy computer components from.

Also, most parts come packaged in an anti-static wrap and you won't need one once your rig is assembled since the case performs the job of grounding out any static.

Didn't ask for specifics, just places to get them from. Also, should I get one of them anti-static wraps?

Nah, just build it naked. It works for Largo and if anyone interrupts you mid build you can be sure they'll NEVER touch your computer.

I've never used one, the anti-static wraps that is. just hold things be the edges and you're usually fine. as far as how to do it, cases come with installation diagrams usually to show you where to screw things in, etc. same for CPUs and other stuff. for the most part it's pretty self explanitory as long as you can fit card A into slot B and know which cards go in what slots. you can probably find some decent tutorials on youtube I would imagine.