Help with Autarchic Gates/movement of liquids

Magicthize

I don't know whether this is just me being an idiot but I've been trying to set up a system where machine a will fill up a tank, switch itself off while the tank is drained completely and then turn on again to begin filling it again.

My issue seems to be with getting the tank to completely empty itself. I thought I had it figured out last night by using an autarchic OR gate - if the tank is full -> energy pulsar OR if liquid is traversing -> energy pulsar. This worked the first time I set up and configured the system. The tank was not full and no liquid was in the pipe so the tank filled up. As soon as it was full it began to empty (effectively one condition triggers the second). The problem occurs when the tank begins filling up the 2nd time. Even though neither condition has been met the gate/pipe drains the liquid and triggers the 2nd condition.

Is this a bug or intended behaviour? Is there some (relatively simple) way to achieve the same thing with reliable results?

The only thing I can think of is that when the tank fills, the autarchic facet of the gate pulses one more time somehow. This in turn pumps liquid into the pipe, fulfilling the second condition. Maybe you can check with a redstone dust trail?

That ór there is something else in your system that gives a redstone current/pulse, but from your text I guess this is not the case; just stated for completeness.

I know Misc Peripherals has a Gate Reader which can (at least for RedStone energy cells) read the status of some things; maybe tanks as well. The thing is, I don't know if Tekkit has MP. It does have 'Open Peripheral' in the latest version (1.1.1) but I don't know if that has something like a gate reader...

All in all, I don't think I can be of much help :(

you could use the pipe wire to see which of the conditions fires off first. And yeah, you could theoretically use CC (or maybe PRC, I dunno) for this, although it's far more complicated. Basically, the gate would read off the status of the tank (empty or full) and send the signals to a computer, which would run a program to send signals back to another gate to shut down or start the pumping. Yeah, it's unnecessarily complicated.

Oh god I don't want to head down the CC or PRC route. All that stuff can do amazing things but I just don't have enough of an interest to learn. I'll check again when I get home but from last night's tests it just seems that the 2nd condition fires off on its own because the liquid has already started flowing. It's as if when both conditions been met for the first time it opens a valve in the tank that doesn't close again, so as soon as more liquid enters it just drains away irrespective of the gate.

You know, I just realized. Since, as I assume, the inflow to the tank is constant, what might be happening is the outflow in the pipe out is due to the fact that there is a steady stream of liquid into the tank, that immediately gets sucked out by the outflow. Thus, the tank technically never empties, and the flow in the pipe out of it never stops. A possible solution would be to use a valve pipe of sorts as input, and close it for the duration of the tank emptying procedure.

That's something to remember but I was testing this in a creative SP world and the entire setup was a tank, a wooden waterproof transport pipe with the gate, a cobblestone waterproof pipe and another tank. I was filling up the first tank from a bucket.

To make my setup more predictable, efficient and also just because. If this worked I'd be able to have this end of the system turn on and run until the tank filled, have it turn off and then transport the liquid elsewhere where that end of the sytem would turn on and do it's part.