[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

Another way I could accomplish creating the build I'm making without Power Boxes is using EnderIO Capacitor Banks...unfortunately they seem to lose all stored energy when the frame moves, and unless I'm mistaken (I'll test again, my memory is foggy from when I did this several days ago), they lose the ability to receive/store/transmit energy.

Another way I could accomplish creating the build I'm making without Power Boxes is using EnderIO Capacitor Banks...unfortunately they seem to lose all stored energy when the frame moves, and unless I'm mistaken (I'll test again, my memory is foggy from when I did this several days ago), they lose the ability to receive/store/transmit energy.

They're probably caching x/y/z values, then. Lazy, lazy programming. Understandable, but still lazy.

They're probably caching x/y/z values, then. Lazy, lazy programming. Understandable, but still lazy.

Just looked up the code for EnderIO...it appears that is indeed the case, and based on the comments on issues in the Github, he has no intention of fixing it any time soon. Damn. :(

Just looked up the code for EnderIO...it appears that is indeed the case, and based on the comments on issues in the Github, he has no intention of fixing it any time soon. Damn. :(

"using cached locations to help with lag" Yeah, and when your block receives invalidate(), you remove it from the cache, and it gets added back to the cache on validate(). Gee, that was hard.

"it is hard to develop around even on a good day" So, that's why 95% of all mods work out-of-the-box with it with no issues at all, eh?

*sigh*

"using cached locations to help with lag" Yeah, and when your block receives invalidate(), you remove it from the cache, and it gets added back to the cache on validate(). Gee, that was hard.

"it is hard to develop around even on a good day" So, that's why 95% of all mods work out-of-the-box with it with no issues at all, eh?

*sigh*

Eh, I didn't mean to start any developer vs developer animosity. Please don't let this become another Mdiyo vs Greg! ;)

Eh, I didn't mean to start any developer vs developer animosity. Please don't let this become another Mdiyo vs Greg! ;)

My animosity (or lack thereof) towards anyone has no effect on my code: I simply code, and if I feel the desire/need to work around someone else's silliness, I will. I'd never even heard of the "ender io" mod, which means right now I really don't care. Portal Gun is really the only "doesn't work" that I still actually give a flip about working on, and there's only one useful block in that mod that doesn't work already. Multipart works, though with some limitations, so it's "good enough for now". The rest of the picayune mods out there, eh.

My animosity (or lack thereof) towards anyone has no effect on my code: I simply code, and if I feel the desire/need to work around someone else's silliness, I will. I'd never even heard of the "ender io" mod, which means right now I really don't care. Portal Gun is really the only "doesn't work" that I still actually give a flip about working on, and there's only one useful block in that mod that doesn't work already. Multipart works, though with some limitations, so it's "good enough for now". The rest of the picayune mods out there, eh.

And honestly, I hope you get portal spawners working. (That is the one we're talking about here, right?). It'd make traveling to my frame machine so much easier after it's moved hundreds (thousands?) of blocks away. :)

Hi Jakj, sorry to do this to you, but I crashed it again - totally different way, totally different error....

Seems the platform may have been moving when the server was shut down.

On start up nothing seems to be a miss, I go jump on the pressure plate that tells the platform to move and I get this

http://pastebin.com/qXnVy86y - both the crash txt and a console dump are in there.

At which point the server promptly crashes

Edit: similar again with a completely rebuilt from scratch template platform a few blocks away - http://pastebin.com/xpanbMzW

The amusing thing is... once the server is stopped, and started again the platform

completes the move just fine with a bunch of null pointer exceptions

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.Release(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:243)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.func_70316_g(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:69)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:2202)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:546)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:654)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:275)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:573)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:470)

2013-11-10 07:37:58 [iNFO] [sTDERR]  at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:573)

Here are some screenshots of the contraption - above and blow, with and without ghosting

Everything that's on this frame is known to be working from a previous model (swapped the compact solars for advanced solars fixed the previous crash), some things were re-arranged in an effort to try to help the crash but otherwise nothing was added or removed that wasn't there.

Two things:

1) The spammy NPE that are not actually crashing you (just being logged) is the Buildcraft workaround code. Buildcraft has since updated, making that code not work anymore, so it just basically fails and gets ignored. There's a config option to turn it off so it doesn't spam your log.

2) Minecraft's ass-backward crash reporting pisses me off, especially right now, because it's actually crashing INSIDE the special "crash report" function in the TileEntity class, which is causing the actual crash that started the problem to be obliterated and not even printed out. So I actually have not the slightest fucking clue what's going on, I'm sorry to have to say. I'll do my best to figure it out anyway, but my best may be or may be not good enough.

Yes, I didn't expect that the NPE was really a problem, it's been happening since the start - but I thought it best to include it :D

My server isn't very busy so if you would like to come test any theories or I can run java with any magical options that produce better stack traces (would strace output help you?) I'd be glad to do what I can to help

Edit: Just proved a strace is quite useless given the amount of noise in a java program... still I'm prepared to run anything you need for more information.

Edit one more time: So, I wouldn't waste the time looking at it unless you really want to. I've got no idea why this happens but I've tracked it down.

It was too late for me at 5 am to do this but I've done it now.

I pulled the entire platform apart and added peices until it crashed, it's an interaction with power crystals power converters.

I can put an EV consumer or HV consumer on the west or the south side of the Bridge, but if I put an EV or HV consumer on the north side it crashes.

I've worked around it by not adding one to the north side.

I don't know why all of a sudden this started happening on an otherwise working design - perhaps one of my players was pulling it apart trying to find out how it works and put it back together wrong and I just didn't notice?

Did you move the carriage in a direction other than the usual one? It sounds like something caches the XYZ position of the blocks, and if there's a tile entity there crashes if it isn't actually a power converter.

That's a good thought. On the surface, having something fail only on certain edges indicates a one-off error in the code (like when Notch screwed up some of the collision detection and you'd take damage being pressed by water into the corner of blocks with lava diagonally from you, but only on certain vectors, or how he had redstone signalling going so it had different timing in different directions), but I haven't been able to find any such one-off errors in my code.

Something caching x/y/z positions but failing to remove from the cache on invalidate() could easily be the cause. It's stupid and lazy, because chunks load/unload all the time, so they should be handling invalidate() anyway (because accessing an unloaded chunk forces it to load which can cause performance degredation if the user didn't need that chunk loaded). Lazy lazy.

Did you move the carriage in a direction other than the usual one?

Not since completely rebuilding it a few blocks along. My initial thought is it's some sort of funky directional update issue like minecraft has always had.

I haven't been able to find any such one-off errors in my code.

Fear not, I don't belive it's your code, having been around minecraft as long as I have (and even having a go at writing my own mods at one point) I know that if you're lucky, sometimes you can work around issues.

Something caching x/y/z positions but failing to remove from the cache on invalidate() could easily be the cause. It's stupid and lazy' date=' because chunks load/unload all the time, so they should be handling invalidate() anyway (because accessing an unloaded chunk forces it to load which can cause performance degredation if the user didn't need that chunk loaded). Lazy lazy.[/quote']

Best bit is, I built this to fit exactly in a chunk, with chunk boarders showing (f9), the original model was 15 blocks wide (cos everyone hates even numbers :D)

*sigh*

If it's so easy, just talk to the developer (since it seems to be a widely requested feature for a popular mod) and see if you can show him how easy it would be. I'm sure many would be glad to see this worked out between the two mods. In fact, since it's so easy, a pull request would be a great way to handle it, no?

If it's so easy, just talk to the developer (since it seems to be a widely requested feature for a popular mod) and see if you can show him how easy it would be. I'm sure many would be glad to see this worked out between the two mods. In fact, since it's so easy, a pull request would be a great way to handle it, no?

At this point, the only place that anyone listens to anything I say is on this website, so that's not too terribly likely.

Where have you contacted the developer? You make these assumptions that I assure you are not true.

It is an assumption based on experience with "the community", yes. I have had no interaction with that particular developer. I may try some time.

It is an assumption based on experience with "the community", yes. I have had no interaction with that particular developer. I may try some time.

I urge you to do so. Mostly because I am one of them. Not the one who could help you with that issue, but I could help contact the developer (CrazyPants) if you need. The best place is probably the IRC channel, though remember he is on AU time.

I urge you to do so. Mostly because I am one of them. Not the one who could help you with that issue, but I could help contact the developer (CrazyPants) if you need. The best place is probably the IRC channel, though remember he is on AU time.

Had something else happen...I've got a mining rig set up on a server, and I'm using Wireless Redstone (Chickenbones Edition) to turn it on and off...problem is I keep getting this popping in the server console every time the frame moves:

2013-11-13 10:38:48 [iNFO] [sTDOUT] Null Receiver

2013-11-13 10:38:48 [iNFO] [sTDOUT] Null Receiver

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.Release(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:243)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.func_70316_g(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:69)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:2209)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:550)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:668)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:276)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:587)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:484)

2013-11-13 10:38:49 [iNFO] [sTDERR]    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:583)

I don't know what's going on, but I figured I'd mention it.

edit: Ack, I thought I read everything to see if this had been posted before...guess it's not a wireless redstone glitch but a buildcraft glitch...looking in the config for the option to turn it off.

edit2: Are you saying turn the following config option to false to keep from being spammed, but BC stuff will still work?

"Dirty Hacks" {

B:"Attempt to hyper-reinitialize Buildcraft pipes after motion"=true

}

Buildcraft works with the hack off, but is glitchy visually and takes a few ticks after motion for the pipes to start up again. If you're getting console errors, the hack is nonfunctional anyway, so you might as well save yourself the spam.

Buildcraft works with the hack off, but is glitchy visually and takes a few ticks after motion for the pipes to start up again. If you're getting console errors, the hack is nonfunctional anyway, so you might as well save yourself the spam.

Then it's done! Thanks for the response.

And testing, I still get "Null Receiver" twice every time it moves...

hi, had this mod installed for ages but finally got round to using it, after sacrificing a very large jungle i was able to make a miner, this was a simple one that was only designed to go fwd and to test the capabilities out, when i saw it had computercraft intergration my head was filled with many potentials. But i have discovered a very major bug, if the computer moves it acts like it was turned off and on losing its position in the program.

to work around that i decided to use wireless redstone (chicken bones one) sadly when a reciever is moved while it is emiting a redstone signal it stays on, even when the transmitter is turned off... so im stuck

how do i stop the computer resetting every move?