MJ are not Joules

Stone Rhino

I've noticed a lot of how-to videos using the MJ term as "Mega Joules" when referencing a lot of the thermal expansion equipment. It is however not that, as the M stands for Minecraft.

The Universal Electricity mod uses Joules rated in MJ, kJ, and J.

The rate of conversion is 1600 MJ (Minecraft Joules, not 1.6 Giga-Joules) = 112,000 Joules or 112kJ in UE power.

Because of this, you may notice some of your machines pulling more power than usual, and that the redstone conduit "Leaks" when connected to certain machines (Consumes power, but does not transfer it). ME Controller for example.

I just hooked up a redstone conduit to my ME system with no problems. Conduits have a small loss when using them, but it is not affect by distance. As well, the Ultimate Cube is equivalent to almost 2 REC, so the conversion is close to 1:10, from my experience. There is loss when you convert back from Voltz (Joules) to MJ (Minecraft Joules; BC Power) and when converting from MJ to Voltz, however the loss is less substantial when going from MJ to Voltz. One final note, Voltz production will never be anywhere close to decent MJ production, so storing your power in Ultimate Cubes is better, however power generation should come from TE or Forestry.

I just hooked up redstone conduit to an REC and powered furnace. It "lost" as many MJ's as I could output and a continuous rate. I had to set the REC to 5MJ/t output to stop it all from bleeding out.

Correct, the ratio is 1:10 after looking in the config file. For some odd reason though, the machines are consuming more than what they did in tekkit. Im using the same system of steam engines producing 40MJ/t and its like im running 10 quarries. It vaporizes the REC's storage in two or three minutes.

Okay, after ripping out all of the UE blocks and pipes and reconnecting it all in a pure redstone conduit, no more "Leaking" power.

Now, if I isolate the UE power with a tesseract, and allow it to use the Universal cable to the tesseract, and on the receiving end use nothing but redstone conduit, it too works fine. But the instant I connect Universal cable to the same REC as redstone conduit, it freaks out and starts jettisoning power into nothingness.

• 4 months later...

Stone Rhino, this is because the sides of an REC act as both an input and an output. Redstone conduit uses a system to prevent it from losing all it's power like that but universal energy cable doesn't and continuously pull and push power into/out of the REC, losing power each time.