Applied Energistics 2 stage patterns

Prototype958

yeah but setting up a subnetwork is arguably much more expensive in terms of materials than not, and as I pointed out the subnetwork can be eliminated with a very small resource expenditure. so yeah I know that is possible, but 1) it slows down from my setup 2) it is resource expensive in other ways(certus quartz being rather precious when you start out). 3) requires multiple stages of planning.

yeah but setting up a subnetwork is arguably much more expensive in terms of materials than not, and as I pointed out the subnetwork can be eliminated with a very small resource expenditure. so yeah I know that is possible, but 1) it slows down from my setup 2) it is resource expensive in other ways(certus quartz being rather precious when you start out). 3) requires multiple stages of planning.

yeah, totally. i still remember when i was more exited about finding certus quartz than gold. maybe on the same level as diamonds....until i found a dense ores age. xD

okay, so let me see if I can identify the advantages of a subnetwork:

(1) it allows for maintaining secondary levels (using level emitters confined to the subnetwork);

(2) it smooths out processing of more complex items (e.g., redstone energy conduit) -- however, if I'm not mistaken, this seems to be effected by leaving all machinery within the subnetwork in an 'always-on' state, so everything processes as soon as the requisite materials hit the subnetwork; it makes me nervous in the event multiple crafting projects cross paths and something "steals" resources away from another use (am I imagining that?).

Toki -- I get where you're coming from, but I want to give this a try because I won't really understand how they work until I've set one up for myself.

My confusion about the 'direction' of ME interfaces is because the videos are at version 11 and in Tekkit we don't have directional arrows. Does that mean we have to use gold pipes to connect a subnetwork? Or is it sufficient to wrench the interface and identify the one "odd" side?

okay, so let me see if I can identify the advantages of a subnetwork:

(1) it allows for maintaining secondary levels (using level emitters confined to the subnetwork);

(2) it smooths out processing of more complex items (e.g., redstone energy conduit) -- however, if I'm not mistaken, this seems to be effected by leaving all machinery within the subnetwork in an 'always-on' state, so everything processes as soon as the requisite materials hit the subnetwork; it makes me nervous in the event multiple crafting projects cross paths and something "steals" resources away from another use (am I imagining that?).

Toki -- I get where you're coming from, but I want to give this a try because I won't really understand how they work until I've set one up for myself.

My confusion about the 'direction' of ME interfaces is because the videos are at version 11 and in Tekkit we don't have directional arrows. Does that mean we have to use gold pipes to connect a subnetwork? Or is it sufficient to wrench the interface and identify the one "odd" side?

You're absolutely right about the directional arrows. since i didn't find any info about that i just went ahead with trial and error. in the end i managed to get a very compact and cheap version of the always stoked ender storage in that video with only 1 interface. (during this trial and error process i found that the interface has one face that is different from all the others, just use your wrench and see for yourself. that is all i know though, by the time i found out about that i had my Subnet working without it.)

Regarding the issue with those subnets, i believe it wont matter. Since every time you ask for a crafted item the MAC will send all the items required, so in the event a parallel process takes some of those resources it will eventually take the ones that were meant for the second process. so it wont really matter.

all you need is a controller, a storage unit and a pair of emitters/exporters for each item you want transferred. plug the controller to power, put the interface right over it and then put the 4 (for example) exporters all around the interface, pointing into the interface. then force the exporters to connect to each other (using more ME cable) and then remove the extra ME cables, the exporters should plug tightly around the interface. then just place the emitters pointing into the exporters from the bottom forcing them to plug into the controller, this is very important to avoid controller issues. what i do to make the emitters connect into the controller is i make space around and connect the emitter to a ME cable with another color that i previously connected to the controller from another side. The emitter should take the color of the cable from your subnet. once the emitters are placed all you gotta do is set up the numbers and make sure the emitters and exporters are paired up, carrot emitter with carrot exporter etc. quite complicated now that i read through it....but its actually quite easy.... i swear.....

http://imgur.com/ynPmODT

http://imgur.com/9DHmPdp

http://imgur.com/tpNAGaV

edits: making sure pics were right xD

That's so...elegant. I'm going to have to set it up to grasp I think. So simple, but can't figure in my head how it could possibly work!

that's actually the fifth version.... i spent an entire day trying to figure out how to take advantage of the planters multiple planting squares. and if i used anything other than this the planter would eventually fill up with more stuff from another item. it works with a single interface since the ME networks never really touch.... keep in mind that in those pictures the storage of the ME sub-network is not there. but in the case of the farm it would be the planter itself. also, there is an energy tesseract underneath, and since the power consuption of a network so small would be negligible 25% of 10 MJ is no biggie.

No need for chests, deep-storage or complex designs. i love AE

i did it in creative......and just 2 days ago i was able to make it XD in survival. it was soo easy once i have the main design in mind.

i could upload my test world.... if you tell me where. XD never really uploaded anything.

I wasn't happy with the way the interfaces were (or weren't) working and every time I tried gold transport pipe it would show the items moving the wrong direction and nothing would happen, so... I decided to use the same solution I used for the interface between AE and the Assembly Table. Which means I ended up breaking out the Item Tesseracts. Yeah, it's a bit expensive, but it really provides a slick interface and kept things very compact.

CharlieChop, I'm not sure what you're using the level emitters for, so maybe I could take that route, but I really wanted to make full use of the recipe stored in my ME Pattern without having to mess with any other configuration. I think the final product turned out pretty good: http://imgur.com/Fiq8sVJ

oh, the level emitters activate the exporters so that the system only keeps a desired amount of items in the chosen inventory. As an example; i wanted to have a planter with 4 different items, carrots, potatoes, seeds and Oak saplings. If i wanted to export any item into the planter the exporter would fill up the planter to the brim with any random amount, maybe even a single item, leaving my planter without the other required crops. By using emitters and the sub-net i can control exactly how many of each type are in the planter at all times. The one downside to this setup is that if you try to fill up multiple planters with different seeds it doesn't work. its not much of a problem since a planter with an emerald upgrade covers up so much space it doesn't matter( i have one emerald planter supplying 5 bio reactors).

Nice setup, it looks quite clean.... mind explaining how did you set it up? for the life of me i cant figure out how to use interfaces to interact with other networks..... if you notice none of my setups actually connect networks directly xD. I'm currently working in one 8 item sub-net but i cant finish it since i cant figure out how those damned things work.

http://imgur.com/FQEPQ6J

http://imgur.com/wjwtUAu

It seems to me that if you had a Precision Export Bus sets to 'Always Enabled' and you identified what you wanted to be sent to the planter it would automatically keep every stack full; then your only setup would be to make sure the planter initially had a stack of each desired item... the minute one stack dropped by even one, the export bus would fill it back up. No worries about a single item taking over. But maybe I'm not really understanding your setup. In fact, for a planter, I don't really see the need for a subnet, as I wouldn't care if items were pulled from my main network for planting (I have 50,000+ of each item at this point because my farm is out of control).

Now, with the crafting of certain items on-demand, like the Redstone Energy Conduit, I don't want every spare bit of redstone being consumed just because it's there. Which is where the subnetwork comes in -- now that I finally 'get it'!

See if this annotated image helps: http://imgur.com/jyLoDh3

If not, maybe you could let me know what part is giving you trouble?

that's......absolutely brilliant......yet so simple.....i never really thought of making sure the spots on the inventory were always filled with at least one item.... wow.

the reason i dont use my main network is because i want the jobs to be passed on. i have a quarry that takes all items into an ender chest, from which it takes everything and them exports all ores to another simple sub-network whose job is to simply smelt the ores as efficiently as possible ( i used pulverizers and powered furnaces instead of the induction smelted to avoid getting into issues regarding the sand ). Basically i have several networks to keep my main network (the one i use for crafting) as simple as possible. All the other sub-nets are basically maintenance free, so i just let them be. That's why i wanted to make sure i always had maximum efficiency on the Bio reactors.

well, as much as i love making huge sub-net modules your tip is making me remodel my entire production system. lol. i got now MOAR stuff to do. thanks man XD i loved that tip. also i used stones to fill up the spaces that i never used to avoid extra stuff. lovely.

Honestly putting a ME Interface on like a brewing stand and a pattern thats says crafts akward potion with 3 water bottles and 1 nether wart dosent quite work right so basicly im saying that ME Interfaces dont work with everything