Tekkit Server RAM Usage - Is this normal?

RamasesN3

I have a PC running Ubuntu 13.04 hosting a Tekkit server.

The PC has an Intel G630 2.7Ghz, 250Gb hdd and 4Gb RAM with 3Gb assigned to the Tekkit Server.

My issue is that when the server is empty it regularly uses around 30% of its memory which I think is odd because I've seen it using 25% with 3 players actively using it.

It's never below 20% RAM (even empty) and I have seen it go over 50% empty.

It's scheduled to restart (with MCMA) every 12 hours but it doesn't always drop back to it's lower RAM usage after a restart.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

My server has around 4-5 at a time and i have 3GB dedicated to it though i havent seen it go above 500MB on a normal day. Im assuming that your problem RamasesN3 is lava lag ( which happens when you are pumping lava out of the nether ) I had that problem not too long ago, but another topic on this forum helped me diagnose this problem. I was using about 1.8GB instead of the less than 500MB i was using.

@ Dewfire - that sounds like your box is using the same RAM as mine but with less allocated to start with.

@Vivacity - I don't have a lag plugin but I might consider it if people start complaining.

@Jebussz - As far as I know no one is pumping lava from the nether, there is however a (naturally spawned) unusual volcano near the spawn point as you can see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeeeb8h8t8y8ckd/RN3_Volcano1.PNG

Overall I am not that concerned with the RAM that is being used as I'm not getting many complaints about lag its mostly that I am confused by the fact that an empty server can be using more RAM than when there are players on. Seems odd to me.

Never seen that type of thing generate before. You sure your volcano is natural?

I've never seen it before either however I was the first person to connect to this world, running MC on the server while I was setting stuff up and before it was even connected to the internet, and it was there then.

my guess i would say your running tekkit classic not tekkit in which case

1 your in the wrong forum and

2 your ram usage is very normal for tekkit classic it was a hog

of course im basing this on the volcano because we dont have volcano s in tekkit anymore

edit just looked at the pick that is definitely not a volcano and most definitely not normal if you have world edit delete it if not maybe pour water on it you most assuredly want it gone it in either case and once gone your ram should go back to normal if you could maybe post your seed it could maybe have been something wrong in the world gen

my guess i would say your running tekkit classic not tekkit in which case

1 your in the wrong forum and

2 your ram usage is very normal for tekkit classic it was a hog

of course im basing this on the volcano because we dont have volcano s in tekkit anymore

edit just looked at the pick that is definitely not a volcano and most definitely not normal if you have world edit delete it if not maybe pour water on it you most assuredly want it gone it in either case and once gone your ram should go back to normal if you could maybe post your seed it could maybe have been something wrong in the world gen

It is the latest Tekkit and not Classic. Could be a glitch, my seed (according to the /seed command) is 3552058396945040300

Don't have world edit, might try watering it. It looks like a volcano, tried tunnelling under it and found the cross shaped vertical lava bit

It is the latest Tekkit and not Classic. Could be a glitch, my seed (according to the /seed command) is 3552058396945040300

Don't have world edit, might try watering it. It looks like a volcano, tried tunnelling under it and found the cross shaped vertical lava bit

Just did some playing around with that seed and I have figured out where the lava beasty came from.

When I originally set up my linux box I was considering both "New" Tekkit and Tekkit Lite so had worlds for both, then I managed to gorf my Linux install (bit of a noob thing to do). So any way I copied off my world having decided on New Tekkit wiped the disk and started over. Turns out I copied the wrong world! Anyway I guess we now know what a volcano looks like when it has no basalt around the lava core.

I'll try watering it 1st and if that doesn't help the RAM issue I'll see about installing and learning to use world edit.

• 2 weeks later...

I created a new world for my server and the memory usage has settled down. Although just after the server restarts (from MCMA) it uses 48% of the RAM for a while then drops off to 10 - 15% (unoccupied), 20 -25% with two players, no noticeable lag.

I created a new world for my server and the memory usage has settled down. Although just after the server restarts (from MCMA) it uses 48% of the RAM for a while then drops off to 10 - 15% (unoccupied), 20 -25% with two players, no noticeable lag.

You should reduce the amount of ram your giving the server. Javas garbage collectors won't run as often of it sees that plenty of ram is available. Decreasing the ram you give it will make your server more efficient.