Average Tick Jumping?

Johnyboy

I recently created a server on my older computer a 2.4ghz quadcore Windows 7 64bit computer with 6 gigs of ram with 2 gigs dedicated to the server. 64 bit java. At first everything was fine, was able to easily handle me and a few friends. I was busy with work for a few days and after logging in after that few day absence I noticed a slight lag in the world ( nothing game breaking, but certainly was not there before ). I restarted the server using the GUI to trobleshoot the problem thinking it was the memory, but no. The server sits at about 180MB of ram with me on it and the cpu is not anywhere near capping out. The only thing i was able to notice was that the average tick normally would sit at about 5ms, but every once in awhile it would jump up to 25ms which i belive is my problem. Anyone know what may have caused this?

TL; DR

server was running without lag, now has slight lag even though it sits at 180MB of ram out of 2Gigs. I mean it has 1.8Gigs of ram remaining.

im not sure.... but maybe the server has those spikes because its running something.

are there any dim anchors?

are those anchors close to some complicated stuff like quarries importing constantly into an ME network?

Big computercraft programs running?

Once ,in the server i played, i caused a massive lagg spike everytime i logged into my base. the reason? my fertilizer farms were not properly dumping the fertilizer and it was being dropped to the ground. the result was that the retarded amount of items on the floor caused a massive lag spike that never went away every time i logged into my base. it got that bad because i left a dim anchor and the game just kept producing fertilizer.

• Discord Moderator

do you have something installed that lets you query the entities that are loaded? There might be a TON of animals/monsters/items somewhere that only get loaded when the chunks get activated.

A tool like this can be very handy. I logged in and the server was at 15 TPS (down from the default 20). Did a quick query and noticed that the entity count was over 175,000. Someone's gigantic quarry had overflowed. Easy fix at that point.

do you have something installed that lets you query the entities that are loaded? There might be a TON of animals/monsters/items somewhere that only get loaded when the chunks get activated.

A tool like this can be very handy. I logged in and the server was at 15 TPS (down from the default 20). Did a quick query and noticed that the entity count was over 175,000. Someone's gigantic quarry had overflowed. Easy fix at that point.

any entity-query plugin suggestions? I wouldn't know where to begin looking for something like that.

I remember one time i had a friend on my server open up a bunch of dimensional doors to create those rifts. When he did that there were random jumps in the server ticks. Maybe that is your issue? If so all you need to do is delete those rifts using a rift remover.