A few questions

Gorian

1. Is there a good alternative to a powered obsidian pipe? I know that the ME transition plane and Item Collector can pick items up, but my understanding is, only items touching the block they're on. In this case, I have animals in a 5x5 block pen dropping items (eggs, other drops when they die) and it would be nice to automate collecting them (by this, when they die by other mean, being pushed into the wall, etc. I already have a grinder setup). Also, the floor of the area is all sewers, so I can't really use water or conveyor belts to move items to a collector or transition plane.

2. I am having issues with the breeder and chickens. All the wikis I searched said that the breader should breed chickens with wheat, ever though they breed with seeds manually now. I removed the export bus on the breeder, filled it with seeds (multiple types) and wheat, and it wouldn't use any of them, however I could feed all the chickens manually (meaning their "timer" wasn't running). There is no redstone signal turning the breeder off either, as the idle bar runs down. Is it just broken or am I missing something? I may have to switch to pigs if chickens don't work, but I put a lot of effort into automated processing of chickens, and want the feathers :p

Make sure the breeder is facing the right way. I know it sounds dumb but the amount of times I forget to check I've lost count of. Also make sure its on the same "level" as the chickens. I'm not sure how far the breeder works on the up/down axis.

yeah, it is the right way. Even turned it around a few time :P I'm not sure either. Seems that both the chickens and the breed are one block above the floor, maybe that isn't correct? unfortunately , it's kinda hard to move the breeder, as a hole in wall results in a room full of chickens, and you can't plug the hole until they all escape...

tried both one block above and below the current breeder, no results.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, used to forums concatenating posts that are close together... I'm spoiled

So, pigs also don't seem to spawn with wheat anymore (via breeder, which claims to use wheat for ALL mobs, despite their unique breeding methods), and instead is successfully breeding pigs with carrots. But, I had no luck any seeds and the breeder with chickens...

Chickens are easy, line their floor with transition planes or MFR item collectors (easiest). Then you send the eggs to a dispenser on a timer to shoot them out, making new chickens.

To get sewage from them remember that sewers take upgrades, so stick out outside the pen on the correct level and give it a decent upgrade.

no, they do. I was asking for an alternative, as I am not a big fan of buildcraft engine, or of having engine attached directly to things (as opposed to using conductive pipes/conduit). it just looks kludgy. Also,I have limited space (I'm making everything in a 3x3 chunk, so everything has to be as compact as possible. Most cable are hidden in walls and floors. It'd be a lot of extra work to get everything need to power an obsidian pipe, engines, fuel, cooling, etc. and not worth the risk). ALSO, my understanding is that obsidian pipes suck in cone in front of them, so it'd be difficult to get one to cover a 5x5 square.