1.1.8 New player Q's: Quarry, Steam Engine (TE), Conductive pipes, Land Marks and Makeshift battery

Steve From Marketing

Hey,

New Tekkit (1.1.8) player here with some questions I haven't found any definite answers yet:

Which is the correct wiki to browse for information about Tekkit 1.1.8? Googling around I've found about a dozen wikis saying different things when it comes to different mods and this is very confusing.

Quarry, steam (TE) engine and conductive pipes. This is what confuses me the most at this moment.

I have 1 quarry, 8 steam engines (TE steam engines, NOT stirling) and they're hooked up with gold conductive pipes.

When I turn all the engines on they start out generating 4 MJ/t (Technicpack wiki says it only generates max 2 MJ/t) and their internal capacity goes to 0->80->0 and this is what I was expecting.

But after a while I go look on them again and 4 of the steam engines have their internal capacity maxed out at 4000.

If one steam engine generates 4 MJ/t and times 8 is 32 MJ/t. According to technicpack.net wiki quarry can take (maybe?) up to 48 MJ/t. So why are the steam engine

internal capacities maxing out? Am I just wasting fuel keeping those 4 steam engines on?

I have the engines in two rows, each engine is connected to the gold conductive pipes with a wooden conductive pipe.

The pipes from the engines are linked together and only a single gold conductive pipe goes to the quarry.

What is the status of conductive pipes in 1.1.8? I take it they do not explode anymore? Do they have some sort of limit on how much MJ/t or MJ/s they can transmit? Do they still waste power per block transmitted as some wikis say?

Makeshift battery does not hold it's charge. Ok this might be error on my side but it does not seem to keep it's charge. I have 2 steam (TE) engines connected to a makeshift battery which then is connected by a single line that divides into 3 different lines and connects to induction smelter, pulverizer and powered furnace. I look the machine internal capacities and they're full and the machines are not processing anything. Makeshift battery is at 10,000 MJ and I turn steam engines off and the battery starts to bleed power around 1 MJ/s (maybe a bit more).

Do the machines (Powered furnace, pulverizer, induction smelter) "consume" energy even when they're not processing anything and their internal capacity is full? Do I have to connected them to my rednet cable network and hook them up to levers that turn them "off" or something like that?

Land marks, can I create a quarry area that is not a rectangle? For example a penta-, octa or hexagon? Or does it always have to be a rectangle? For the life of me I cannot figure these out.

Quarry can only have 4 sides, the sides don't have to be the same, but only 4 so no octagons or anything, just squares and rectangles.

I don't know much about conductive pipe, since day one I've used Redstone Conduit and never looked back. Makeshift battery has certain sides that you have to use. and as far as I know, the machines do not consume power if inactive and once their internal buffers are filled.

As for the Wiki:

http://wiki.technicpack.net/Tekkit

What is the status of conductive pipes in 1.1.8? I take it they do not explode anymore? Nope. Do they have some sort of limit on how much MJ/t or MJ/s they can transmit? Yes, but gold conductive pipes can transmit far more that 32MJ/t so that's not your problem. Do they still waste power per block transmitted as some wikis say? Nope.

Do the machines (Powered furnace, pulverizer, induction smelter) "consume" energy even when they're not processing anything and their internal capacity is full? Nope.

(Responses in bold)

wooden conductive pipes have a 16 mj/t limit. make sure each steam engine has its own pipe.

wooden conductive pipes make any kind of energy storage bleed power. thats the main reason I dont use them.

make energy conduits and stop using that crappy bc system. its only good for super early starts.

bc pipes do not loose power anymore. they have set limits depending on what they are made, being diamond pipes the best, but still crappy with 1024 mj/t. conduits carry over 2k and auto regulate engines to avoid having to wrench them.

I would tell you the wiki but I dont have it. sorry.

*snip*

wooden conductive pipes make any kind of energy storage bleed power. thats the main reason I dont use them.

*snip*

THIS! OMG! THIS was what made the makeshift battery bleed. Thank you!

Another question, is there a "lookup" table anywhere that shows me what items I have to use to recover an item? (Break it and get it back)

I have like 4 tools/wrenches/whatever from different mods and only one that has worked like that is the crescent hammer for pulverizer in sneak mode.

Makeshift batterries cannot be moved? Is this correct? Experimenting like this is getting expensive.

THIS! OMG! THIS was what made the makeshift battery bleed. Thank you!

Another question, is there a "lookup" table anywhere that shows me what items I have to use to recover an item? (Break it and get it back)

I have like 4 tools/wrenches/whatever from different mods and only one that has worked like that is the crescent hammer for pulverizer in sneak mode.

Makeshift batterries cannot be moved? Is this correct? Experimenting like this is getting expensive.

I don't have a good all-purpose answer for you, but for the most part you can sneak+wrench to pop up TE machinery (and maybe other stuff? not sure); if you sneak+wrench and it won't recover the item then you just have to break it, at least in my experience.

Also, be careful when sneak+wrenching Galacticraft stuff. It may be better in 1.1.8 but in earlier versions it would bring my game down.

omniwrench is the one you need for everything. and its relatively cheap. i think the only other thing youll ever need is the presicion sledgehammer, for rednet. but its not that important. keep to the omniwrench.

makeshift batteries cannot be moved without loosing their power or their tier level. (you can upgrade them to hold up to 80k Mj) but breaking them resets them.

the power fist has an omniwrench upgrade, and its even cheaper than the onmiwrench itself.

Edit: as a general rule, shift + wrench breaks most items in TE and AE, im not really sure about MFR. if you wanna break things fast in MFR or harvest tons of crystal like materials like glowstone or simply break tons of glass use the Warhammer..... its ungodly fast to break items from MFR and other stuffz

edit2:

wow i just realized the retarded amount of tools in this mod...

normal wrench, quartz wrench, precision sledgehammer, crescent hammer, and the onmitool and the screwdriver...... worst thing is... i know where each of those work with.... i wish i were this knowledgeable in school and not just video games.

The omniwrench works for a lot of the mods (though, less removing than providing other wrench/hammer/etc. functionality).

The official wiki can be found here: http://wiki.technicpack.net/Tekkit

I also should list the tool required to break each block. If it doesn't, well you can add it ;)

I'd suggest creating a creative world for testing. Before I implement things in survival with my resources I worked hard at getting, I move to a creative world to make sure I understand how a thing works, and I don't worry about losing hardwork.