Damnit Bethesda!%#$#@$

jakj

For one thing the gnome devs seem to think their users are as dumb as an average brick so they don't give them many options for customizing stuff and instead hide them away in obscure config files or simply don't give any options at all. Though I admit this has seemingly been their direction for years now and not just with Unity.

I mean seriously, who the hell can't manage having more than a few things in their menus and break down in fetal position if they see more than a couple of tabs for configuring file manager? I probably shouldn't even begin to talk about their file picker dialog that has been awful since forever.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, it's not just a different window manager: It's a completely-different paradigm of both interface and process. The general concepts of how to use a computer are there, but it's built for a different sort of user.

The "new wave" of OS design (OS X, Windows 8, Unity) is aimed at basic home users, who think in terms of tasks, who when they approach a computer usually have a thing they want to do.

A lot of us who grew up as computers were just becoming a thing, when the idea of owning a computer was special and rare, don't take them for granted. We use computers more like musical instruments or workbenches, and we have an intimate mental relation to how they work.

For someone like me, Unity is actually an anchor on my feet, trying to spoonfeed my computer's power to me like having to go through a contractor to get a job done when I already have the crew and materials I need.

No, Unity is not just a different look; It is a new process entirely, one which makes computing better than ever for grandma who just wants to print out the photos from the camping trip, but worse than ever for people like me who live and breathe computers.

Dude, it's not just a different window manager: It's a completely-different paradigm of both interface and process. The general concepts of how to use a computer are there, but it's built for a different sort of user.

The "new wave" of OS design (OS X, Windows 8, Unity) is aimed at basic home users, who think in terms of tasks, who when they approach a computer usually have a thing they want to do.

A lot of us who grew up as computers were just becoming a thing, when the idea of owning a computer was special and rare, don't take them for granted. We use computers more like musical instruments or workbenches, and we have an intimate mental relation to how they work.

For someone like me, Unity is actually an anchor on my feet, trying to spoonfeed my computer's power to me like having to go through a contractor to get a job done when I already have the crew and materials I need.

No, Unity is not just a different look; It is a new process entirely, one which makes computing better than ever for grandma who just wants to print out the photos from the camping trip, but worse than ever for people like me who live and breathe computers.

I see....this wasn't much of a problem for me anyways, because i do must processes through the terminal. Meh, i will try gnome again, lets see if i can get it to work this time. The last time i used gnome, when i minimized windows, they just vanished, i couldn't find where i could open them again, i just prefer unity because of how straightforward it is. I don't really feel like it is spoonfeeding me little bits of power at a time, i feel like i can just access things quicker.

Does the gradually increasing simplicity (stupid-friendlyness) of modern operating systems correlate with the gradually increasing blankness of society as a whole, by any chance?

Or can I just be classified as mentally "old" now for wanting to see details, even though I'm under the age of 18?

Does the gradually increasing simplicity (stupid-friendlyness) of modern operating systems correlate with the gradually increasing blankness of society as a whole, by any chance?

I'm quite sure it's happening but I'm not sure if everything, not just OS'es, getting dumbed down is cause or effect.

.. if you are a beginning linux user, i would HIGHLY recommend Tremulous...

this is why i love reading through them ol' good treads

much appreciate the heads up mate, ill make sure to give it a try

ontopic- ubuntu

] imho it holds many advantages over windows as mentioned aswell as but ofc a much better file system (ext* instead ntfs) & lack of "registry" and the mess that comes with it (well most if not a fan of thinking straight, like me xP)

which i would say should be the first thing any windows user switching to ubuntu or any other linux would notice..

] then again the whole fear of "app store" on windows 8 is already taking shape on ubuntu ( and other distro's of linux i believe ) as "software center" yes its not prohibiting you from installing other software but it does have the ground work pretty much done.

it is also being used in conjunction with...

] zeitgeist. just read the first few paragraphs to get a basic impression if your not familiar with it, if you are i would love to get your opinions on it..

The only reason I have to run Windows is for DirectX support. Microsoft's PR convinces everyone GL is inadequate and we can't get games to work under GNU. The entire Windows OS otherwise is completely ported to Wine without a problem.

But fuck Ubuntu. Used to love them until this Unity bullshit when they decided they know better than me how I need to use my computer. So disappointed.

were still young enough to type on a keyboard in a specific language, perhaps one of us would stand up and take care of that issue while there still is time for it not to be considered piracy or terrorism xP

( myself, its either i do something with my life or result to the ultimate solution- bullet to the head: no more worries! )

The only reason I have to run Windows is for DirectX support. Microsoft's PR convinces everyone GL is inadequate and we can't get games to work under GNU.

Saddest part about this is that not even DX11 has yet caught up with tons of latest OpenGL features and it's architecture is done in such a way that it's impossible to have d3d be as efficient as OpenGL is. Basically you can have around 2x more draw calls per second in "vanilla" OpenGL and ~10x more with vendor-specific extensions (that should be incorporated into the ARB stuff soonish).