Damnit Bethesda!%#$#@$

jakj

New quests and locations exclusive to xbox360? For this I paid $60 fucking dollars for your game a week before it went on sale for $40? Can no game company anywhere be trusted to any degree at all anymore? Oh my god. "The piracy! Pc gamers are pirates!" Yes because you fuck us over with things like this!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's more of-

XBOX360 exec: We will give you many dollars if you make your next DLC exclusive to the xbox.

Bethesda: Well, we do like many dollars. But if we don't sell to PC people we won't get as much many dollars.

XBOX360 exec: Our many dollars will make up for their many dollars.

Bethesda: Ok, sounds good. We just want to make sure we get our many dollars.

XBOX360 exec: It's a deal. Bring in the whores!

Bethesda: Yay whores! Almost as good as many dollars.

Fin.

The point is that one of the last genuinely-good ones did this. If they go through with this, they'll be as bad as Blizzard.

Erm... they aren't already? I mean, blizzard has issues, mostly of the WoW variety, but starcraft 2 is almost exactly what i hoped it would be.

In fact, i would go so far as to say that bethesda is worse than blizzard.

Actually it's more of-

XBOX360 exec: We will give you many dollars if you make your next DLC exclusive to the xbox.

Bethesda: Well, we do like many dollars. But if we don't sell to PC people we won't get as much many dollars.

Fin.

Ah, yea. Micro$haft.

Personally I could care less about this. Skryim has so much to explore, a few new places probably won't matter, and the quests weren't all that stellar in the first place. Well... maybe the one where you go into Pelagius' mind was pretty awesome, but the others weren't all that interesting. Also, there are already mods for Skyrim. Especially if you use Steam.

Erm... they aren't already? I mean, blizzard has issues, mostly of the WoW variety, but starcraft 2 is almost exactly what i hoped it would be.

In fact, i would go so far as to say that bethesda is worse than blizzard.

No LAN mode is dickish though.

No LAN mode is dickish though.

That's true. If i played more competitively that would probably bother me a lot.

From my perspective though, the built in functionality for sharing user-created maps balances that out. The improved high level AIs are also rather nice.

look at it this way, the PC has about a bajillion extra quests, monsters, features, items, spells, and tweaks than the xbox ever will in the form of mods. how much you want to bet someone will release a mod that adds the "exclusive" stuff into the PC game?

look at it this way, the PC has about a bajillion extra quests, monsters, features, items, spells, and tweaks than the xbox ever will in the form of mods. how much you want to bet someone will release a mod that adds the "exclusive" stuff into the PC game?

I'm just extremely peeved over it. Exclusivity is abhorrent. I would rather it have been cross-platform paid DLC than a free platform-exclusive content patch.

I'm just extremely peeved over it. Exclusivity is abhorrent. I would rather it have been cross-platform paid DLC than a free platform-exclusive content patch.

I know how you feel. I was trying to make a fun little map when I found technic and decided I wanted to attempt 2 version of it, one for vanilla then and extended version for technic. But I hate making stuff exclusive to only one group of people. Kinda feel bad saying "Want a more sciencey version of this map with computers and stuff moving through pipes and stuff? Get technic. Hate technic? Install these mods using these config file changes." Just feel like a big FU to me. Just feel unless it is super hard or impossible to make it open to all there is no real need for exclusive content (If that maps, say, could not be ported to the PC because they used some bizarre function in the xbox version that can not be ported to the PC then I wouldn't mind personally).

Well, Neowulf said it best. And PC gamers will yet again sink into the vicious cycle of "we won't release game X on PC because it's full of entitled pirates" and "you won't release your game for PC so I'm going to play it anyway, too bad I couldn't just buy it huh" and back and forth and to and fro went the vorpal blade snickersnack, and the beast fell dead.

Well, Neowulf said it best. And PC gamers will yet again sink into the vicious cycle of "we won't release game X on PC because it's full of entitled pirates" and "you won't release your game for PC so I'm going to play it anyway, too bad I couldn't just buy it huh" and back and forth and to and fro went the vorpal blade snickersnack, and the beast fell dead.

That sounds exactly like the program x for Linux catch 22 (we will not release X till condition Z is met, Z will not be met till X is released). That was the first thing I though when i heard rumors games were going up to $80 USD to combat loss from piracy (which make more people pirate it as they don't had 80, which leads to them them "losing" 80 instead of 60 for every pirate). Funny how businesses don't seem to get that.

(also love the jabberwaky bit)

TotalBiscuit may be an insufferable twat at times, but he is almost always right about professional matters. Take the Witcher 2, for example: They determined that over one million copies of that game got pirated due to their non-DRM stance. Then they said they still profited. Then they put out a new free expansion, still non-DRM. Then they started planning Witcher 3.

Some companies get it.

[img width=300]

TotalBiscuit may be an insufferable twat at times, but he is almost always right about professional matters. Take the Witcher 2, for example: They determined that over one million copies of that game got pirated due to their non-DRM stance. Then they said they still profited. Then they put out a new free expansion, still non-DRM. Then they started planning Witcher 3.

Some companies get it.

Never meant all of them failed to, but the bigger one with their older executives seem to not get that DRM drives people away.

I have a copy of Bioshock 2 with that stupid "Games for Windows Live" (don't get me started on that, no idea it was so hard to find games that ran on windows.[/sarcasm]) DRM on it that shuts it off when i lose internet and my wifi driver likes to crap out randomly... so fun times playing my legally bot game that will tell me i have 5 minutes or something to save before it boots me off. So I can see the benefit of the pirate version (offline mode for SP, no having it constantly phone home in case I suddenly pirate the game 45 minutes into playing it).

The lack of DRM is one thing i like to have in a game i buy (Linux support, if possible, I the other major one).

Actually it's more of-

Fin.

That's pretty much it.

But hey, don't worry. The upside is you'll get access to all the brilliant mods that in all likelihood are better than Bethesda's which 360 owners won't get. Or you could be the pragmatic gamer and buy the console, pirate the PC version. I'll be fucked if I *ever* pay twice for one game for the privilege of playing it on two different devices. I don't get to charge clients twice for writing a website that works on two browsers (ok, I do charge them extra for making it run on stupid browsers, but still, not double...).

The lack of DRM is one thing i like to have in a game i buy (Linux support, if possible, I the other major one).

No PC game has DRM if the users don't want it to have DRM. It's just that sometimes PC developers waste time creating DRM that doesn't work <.< But that's Windows gimpware for you. 9 times out of 10 you have to apply an unofficial patch to fix the built-in bugs it ships with ^.^

As for linux support, hah. That'll be the day. The desktop environment will be a thing of the forgotten past before mainstream games work natively on linux. On the other hand OnLive works fine afaik. I don't have the bandwidth for it personally or I'd already be subscribed and have one less reason to have any Microsoft malware running on any of my machines.

That's pretty much it.

But hey, don't worry. The upside is you'll get access to all the brilliant mods that in all likelihood are better than Bethesda's which 360 owners won't get. Or you could be the pragmatic gamer and buy the console, pirate the PC version. I'll be fucked if I *ever* pay twice for one game for the privilege of playing it on two different devices. I don't get to charge clients twice for writing a website that works on two browsers (ok, I do charge them extra for making it run on stupid browsers, but still, not double...).

No PC game has DRM if the users don't want it to have DRM. It's just that sometimes PC developers waste time creating DRM that doesn't work <.< But that's Windows gimpware for you. 9 times out of 10 you have to apply an unofficial patch to fix the built-in bugs it ships with ^.^

As for linux support, hah. That'll be the day. The desktop environment will be a thing of the forgotten past before mainstream games work natively on linux. On the other hand OnLive works fine afaik. I don't have the bandwidth for it personally or I'd already be subscribed and have one less reason to have any Microsoft malware running on any of my machines.

Yeah not a fan of buying the same thing multiple times... Heck I even don't like when a magazine has collector covers so you have to buy 4 copies to have them all. I more like the idea, buy once play wherever. One thing I like on the Legends of Yore website was the texts "If you've bought the mobile version and don't want to pay again, contact me and we'll get it sorted out" that just seems more like how it should be done.

The Linux thing is just like an extra bonus, It's not a huge factor. If Linux compatibility for a game is a must for someone then I hope they love arena shooters (Really... how many of those things are there?). I have tried onlive and it works nicely, too bad my ISP has a data cap and university internet had been sucking horribly lately.

The Linux thing is just like an extra bonus, It's not a huge factor. If Linux compatibility for a game is a must for someone then I hope they love arena shooters (Really... how many of those things are there?). I have tried onlive and it works nicely, too bad my ISP has a data cap and university internet had been sucking horribly lately.

by arena shooters, are you referring to a game like tremulous? that is the only one i have found that is good, and I spend hours playing it sometimes. Certainly more time then i have spent playing some paid shooters i have gotten

by arena shooters, are you referring to a game like tremulous? that is the only one i have found that is good, and I spend hours playing it sometimes. Certainly more time then i have spent playing some paid shooters i have gotten

Any game where you run around a small map shooting bots/people (Alien arena, Sauerbraten/Cube 2 (despite the building aspect), Assault Cube, Cube, Nexiuz (and the furry voraphile derivative Vore Tournament), World Of Padman, warsow... you get the point). Tremulous is kind of a different beast. It is an arena shooter but it also has a nifty bit of RTS in it as well, I would still count it as such.

Interestingly I have played the entire list and Tremulous. Plus several (arena shooter and none) variants of sauerbraten like PremiumArts Sandbox, Eisenstern, and Red Eclipse. Thank heavens for package managers and software repositories.