Move the destinaion folder out of app data

ghoulbennji

Question

Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to move the ".techniclaucher" folder out of app data to another disk, just as i'm running out of space, 44mb left =(

and when i say move, i also would like it to be run and save to the different location,

when i do move it, lauches and creates a new folder in app data and it's a problem

other wise i'm gonna have to a buy a new disk and get win 7

12 answers to this question

Let me take a crack at what you are trying to get:

Is this correct?

Completely useless post /sigh and OP your question has been answered by freakachu try doing a Google search for "symbolic link or an NTFS junction point" it will most likely point you toward your answer.

You want to put .techniclauncher onto a USB ... onto another computer? If thats what you mean, then just drag the .techniclauncher folder into the USB folder, just have to open it somehow. Otherwise I have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

You want to put .techniclauncher onto a USB ... onto another computer? If thats what you mean, then just drag the .techniclauncher folder into the USB folder, just have to open it somehow. Otherwise I have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

He's talking about running the launcher with its files somewhere else than %appdata%; in this case, an external harddrive. He wants the launcher to save and run from that external harddrive and not in %appdata%.

Taking out the .techniclauncher folder and placing it into a USB and placing it on another computer isn't what he's talking about.

I'm in the same situation, I would really like to install the Technic launcher on my 'Games HDD', but the moment you double click on the JAR it installs itself in the app data folder. my computer is prone to randomly crashing, causing me to reinstall windows, and that would mean losing my saves...:'(

Is there a way to change the destination folder for the Technic launcher or should I give up searching??

The same old trick with manually setting APPDATA in a batch file seems to work with the Technic Launcher as well. Set up a batch file something like:

setlocal

set APPDATA=%~dp0

technic-launcher-latest.jar

endlocal

and it'll store all the Technic stuff under the directory the batch file is in. (Haven't tried it with the .exe yet)