Quarry Alternative?

ragdim

Searching this topic didn't turn up much, so I figured I'd ask here; is there a better alternative to a quarry for generating items? I'm pretty lazy, and I typically just want to set something and then about forget it (which is really the main draw of mods like these; automation).

I plan on setting up an AE system with auto-crafting, and supplying it via an automated/infinite energy system, so I just need to get the items under control now. Thanks in advance!

yeah, if a Quarry is too much work for you then you might be a little bit lazy. :)

You might try a Laser Drill from MFR, but they take gobs of power from what I understand (haven't yet gotten around to building one myself). If I understand correctly, you put in some laser foci (6 per Laser Drill) to identify the type of ore you want to generate. I guess if you're feeling crazy you could try to power multiple Laser Drills. But the power required might just make a Quarry seem more reasonable.

Almost all interesting materials can be automated with an MFR laser drill. This includes nether ores which will provide a small source of netherack.

Infinite cobblestone, smooth stone, obsidian, sand, and gravel can be done with 3 igneous extruders, an aqueous acculmulator, a pulverizer, and a magma crucible.

Dirt, clay, sand and soul sand can be automated from the sludge boiler.

If you setup a large enough animal farm to provide mob essence you can autospawn mobs to get minium stones (I believe the grinder can get those, if not enough turtles can do the job). From there you can make even more materials from the base ones with autocrafting.

yeah, if a Quarry is too much work for you then you might be a little bit lazy. :)

You might try a Laser Drill from MFR, but they take gobs of power from what I understand (haven't yet gotten around to building one myself). If I understand correctly, you put in some laser foci (6 per Laser Drill) to identify the type of ore you want to generate. I guess if you're feeling crazy you could try to power multiple Laser Drills. But the power required might just make a Quarry seem more reasonable.

Laser Drill only takes 200 Mj/tic to max out so it aint that hard. Since they can run 24/7 if you have an automated powerplant one is enough in the long run. But if you are short on ores just put up some more if you have the power.

No need to put in laser focus since they just increase the chance for a certain ore to be created. Better to focus on maxing out a drill instead and you will have endless of ores.

Almost all interesting materials can be automated with an MFR laser drill. This includes nether ores which will provide a small source of netherack.

Infinite cobblestone, smooth stone, obsidian, sand, and gravel can be done with 3 igneous extruders, an aqueous acculmulator, a pulverizer, and a magma crucible.

Dirt, clay, sand and soul sand can be automated from the sludge boiler.

If you setup a large enough animal farm to provide mob essence you can autospawn mobs to get minium stones (I believe the grinder can get those, if not enough turtles can do the job). From there you can make even more materials from the base ones with autocrafting.

As far as I know the inly way to get minium shards is to kill the mob yourself and the mobs spawned in auto-spawner have a reduced chance of dropping a shard. In 1.0.6 you could go around it by spawning slimes. The first slime had the reduced chance but the smaller ones that spawned from the larger one had normal drop rate. For 1.1.8 or higher I havent tryed it out since laser drill + auto-spawner absolete the need of minium shards.

No need to breed animals for mob essence. Just use two mob spawner pits. The first one just spawn an exact copy of a large slime and you will get enough mob essence to run the first farm + one aditional where you can spawn what ever you wanna spawn.

Breeder is less cheaty, guaranteed to work in the future, and doesn't require you sit around swapping nets as needed. One breeder can cover all animal products with only a smidge of creativity.

Swaping nets are for computers to handle. ;)

Have a programed a computer to cycle throu all mobs/animals to fill the storage chests. Just press 1 and enter and then go doing something else and when you come back the chests are full. :)